• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform Options

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
I have settled on three basic platforms this year. The first is my all day/short hike big platform. Made from Lone Wolf Elite platfrom and XOP I beam. Will use rope to level platform and two straps. Total weight will run just over 7 pounds. Very roomy and very secure in tree. Platform levels.

IMG_20160829_185850273_zpsgzypdez9.jpg

Stand 2 is my DaveT1963 Ultimate Platform. This will be my main choice this year. XOP Seat, I beam and ropes to level. Total weight is 5.36 pounds.

IMG_20160829_185743834_zpsgfiygmkh.jpg

My third option will be my mobile platform and long distance platform. This is a copy of the Kleemz design. Very lightweight but does not level in tree. Original Lone wolf seat, 1 1/4 tube and LW tree bracket. Will just have to set up on a relatively straight section of tree trunk. Total weight 2.78 pounds.

IMG_20160829_185614631_zpszu76utc9.jpg

Ordered the parts for your # 2 should be here soon . Thanks for sharing Dave

Nice to have options. I'd love one just like option 3 but don't want to buy a whole stand for just the seat

Nice to have options. I'd love one just like option 3 but don't want to buy a whole stand for just the seat
I've been rebuilding them and selling them as lightweight XOP "assaults" lol. Ironically, I'm selling them more than I paid for them. ;)

Dave did you try amsteel for the platform? I saw where you said this rope fits the groove nicely, but seems you could wrap amsteel in that area with a cloth tape till the diameter was right.

Did not see a reason to use Amsteel but it does work. I think this rope will hold up better in the ling run as the sheath is so tough and would not fray like amsteel does

What exact parts do I need to order from XOP to create option #2? I'm looking for a lightweight, easy to use platform for the upcoming season. Thanks, Charles

What exact parts do I need to order from XOP to create option #2? I'm looking for a lightweight, easy to use platform for the upcoming season. Thanks, Charles
XOP Seat, XOP I beam, 1 extra 5 pt bracket (need 2 total my I beam came with one I believe), 2 cam buckle straps and 8mm Samson Ultra Tech rope is what I used

for options 1 & 2 - You can but the seat from Lone Wolf and the I beam from XOP - you don't have to buy the entire stand. Option 3 yes you have to find an old Lone Wolf stand, I just picked one up for 170

Im looking to order rope and was just curious Dave. I don't like my assault line cause its so stiff, so was thinking of going amsteel. The rope your using on this platform also appears stiff in the pictures. Not that stiff is a problem on the platform, was just trying to place 1 order and kill 2 birds so to speak.

I'm using 1/4 or 5/8 Amsteel for my platform. I made a little whoopie sling for adjustment and it works great. No need for a second strap.

I'm using 1/4 or 5/8 Amsteel for my platform. I made a little whoopie sling for adjustment and it works great. No need for a second strap.

Come on you can't drop this on us without pics. Lol.

So which is it, 1/4 or 5/8 or both? How much rope is needed for the platform?

Come on you can't drop this on us without pics. Lol.

So which is it, 1/4 or 5/8 or both? How much rope is needed for the platform?

My whoopie sling is made of Samson Rope Amsteel Blue 3/16", Green. It has a break strength of 5,400 lbs.

Once you cam the platform over, this thing is ROCK SOLID. It's not going anywhere.

Fully extended the sling is 56" long, fully retracted it's 32". I can use this on as small a tree as I have the stones to climb. haven't measured how big of a tree it will work with, but I estimated it to work with trees up to about 24" in diameter. The beauty of the sling is you can make them as big or as small as you want and you won't suffer a weight penalty since the rope is so light.

I started with a piece of rope approximately 85" long. That's just doing the beer math in my head.

I've not hunted out of this yet, but I have shot my bow from it and it handles side pressure very well.

Platform5_zpsokawmdql.jpg

Platform6_zpsdlc9lb0f.jpg

Platform4_zpsuvrftonp.jpg

Platform3_zpse3fxe8tb.jpg

Platform2_zpsoqpq428i.jpg

Platform1_zpslmws10xn.jpg

These slings only work well with the cam over action of the platform. They dont' work well if you are only cinching it tight. A LW strap or an OTC buckle work much better for that application.

There are lots of tutorials on YT about making Whoopie slings. They are incredibly easy to make. One thing I will recommend is going to a craft store like JoAnne, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or even Walmart possibly, and picking up a loop turner. They make the splicing much easier.

Loop Turner

Sweet thanks for the tool tip. Do you need a fid as well? Was the 5/8" a typo?

Yes. 5/8 was a typo. Fids are helpful, but not completely necessary. The loop turner, or a diy version that does the same thing is pretty much a necessity.

Dave, BB, have you guys tried the V bracket xop uses on their sticks? G2 is using something similar, probably Lw? I know you guys have said the Lw V bracket will bend, wondering if the xop is stronger? Ill be trying a Lw batwing on the bottom.

Dave how long is your rope going from platform to i-beam to platform?

G2 ill probably use 1/4" amsteel, how much of it gets used in the knot process like you did on your saddle?

Back