• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Second Sit

I am unsure of what platform style your using but i use ameristeps. I set up on trees maybe in the 6-10inch diameter range (sometimes they are bigger but its rare). Since I find myself leaning 50% and sitting the other 50% i position my steps far enough forward and on the side of the tree so when I sit my feet are forward knees not so bent and straddle the tree. My upper body in this position will rest on my bridge. It is a very comfortable position. When i go into a standing lean i have the other two steps positioned farther back towards me still slightly on the side of the tree kind of where it starts to round from the back to the side of the tree. This took me sometime to figure out but you have to determine where its not comfortable and while your hunting or at home practice relieving this discomfort. This will further dial you up for success.

@MCDM is right - Saddle hunting is VERY personal. Hunters aren't used to this because the industry has been one-size-fits-all for ages.

When you transition to Saddle hunting there will be a lot of "figuring it out". Where does the saddle feel most comfortable? On your hips? Your butt? What type of platform do you like? Do you like screw in steps? Do they hurt your feet after 2 hours? How long do you like your bridge? How high do you like your tether? And the list goes on.

There are a ton of variables in the Saddle game that don't exist in the treestand market. It takes a while, often several seasons, to figure it all out. Honestly, that's part of the fun to me. I get bored doing the same thing over and over again. With Saddles I have endless ways to change things up and experiment.

Back