• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Boat advice

Scoutman

Hey guys,
I'm gonna be scouting some public areas that have creeks, lakes, swamps etc. I'm gonna need a kayak or canoe more than likely. I'm 6'3 and 230 so need a stable platform for sure. Gonna be hauling bow, pack, sticks, and hopefully deceased critters so gonna need a craft that can haul some stuff. I hope to get down to 215 by next elk season so may be less of me to haul hopefully. Thanks for any advice.

@DaveT1963 is using a nu canoe and loves it. There is a thread around here somewhere with info on it.

Np. I have a Malibu stealth for kayak fishing. I plan on using it to get to some spots I've scouted but I don't know how the logistics will work with it yet.

I use a big canoe... If I have a good distance to go.. I throw on a honda 2.5 hp outboard
0bbf771932b04b003477941c3ae02f37.jpg

328cb53ada7c52fb741282e5b0bd5a57.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm thinking nucanoe or old town guide 11 canoe. Canoe is lighter but don't need a boat right now but probably by February.

Well, probably gonna need the boat. Did some online scouting last night and found promising use for one in February .

I have a used tandem sit in kayak. It's stable and can hold everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the distance, water body size and weather you are going to paddling. Boat efficiency is important. One option is a solo canoe like an old town discovery 12 and bring an inflatable kayak with you. 15+ fit canoe with outboard is another outstanding option. I have done both for several years. The outboard is invaluable in poor weather conditions like high winds and fast currents.

Stick with a short solo canoe and inflatable boat packed into the solo canoe. You will have better maneuverability in the narrow portions of the river. Consider a plastic boat, they slide over rocks and trees better than aluminum. I personally like the old town discovery 119 with a few seat changes or a Sportspal S-12, the old town is a faster canoe but easier to dump. Bring both a kayak paddle and a canoe paddle, once out on the water you will understand why you want both. Cover the gunnels with closed cell foam (pipe insulation) so that the paddle does not make noise when hitting the canoe. Add a dry bag with with extra clothes and a thermos of hot liquid. Not to sound preachy, but wear a PFD!!!! Hunters don't float... I like the self inflating PFDs they are low on bulk and are light weight. I have found this method of hunting efficient in harvesting. Work areas that other can't get too and will push the deer to you as they walk in. PM if you want any additional help.

I am looking at a old town guide 119 at ****s very hard. I can get more stuff in a canoe for sure. I grew up in the ocean, rivers,etc, PFD will be in use for sure. I'll keep in touch for sure. Have a great season.

I have been using a 9' - 5" sit in yak. Its small, lightweight and carries me and what I need for the time being.
Will prob go to a tandem Old Town 14' next season as this one cant haul out a big animal unless I cut it up out in the stix.
20161127_200316.jpg 20161120_101007.jpg

Craigslist is your friend........
Open canoe would be my choice from experience. I have two canoes (14' fiberglass and 16' aluminum) that I use depending upon application and body of waters I plan to be on. With your weight and height this would be a much safer and comfortable choice in my opinion. I am 6'2" pushing 200lbs and hunt the SC Public lands 90% of the time while using watercraft. Think safety like others have suggested. Hunting seasons equal COLD waters and that will kill you QUICK! Successful hunts mean a 230lb hunter, 200lbs of meat, and 50 to 100lbs of gear so keep that in mind.

I also have a pirogue that I use and love for the swamps and skinny waters of SC. Not sure if they would work for your area/application.

The older I get the more I find myself enjoying the adventure and process of hunting rather than the actual kill. The floats out of the area is truly some of my most enjoyable times and best memories. I'll try to dig up some pictures and post up if I can find them.

8f4eba9fd406679affabd7f8b1ece025.jpg

b9431aaa0509ad89ab1fdcd3f5e12428.jpg

Thought I had some pictures of loaded canoe and pirogue while floating out kills. Anyhow, Pirogue with myself, kill and gear will only have about 3" before taking on water. But I'm comfortable with that in the skinny water. The canoes handle the load with ease and have no trouble on larger bodies of water as long as weather doesn't change the game.

Last edited:
Good advice, area I'm looking at is some tributaries on a lake fed by a river. Not big water.

I know it's not big water Scoutman, but the specific lake you mention can act much like big water in some areas. I have had times on that lake that I didn't feel comfortable in a bass boat because of the swells. Also, look at actual put-in points along the river/lakefront. Often times the areas I want to scout are 3+ miles from the nearest put-in options. If I had just won that powerball, I'd get a Newcanoe and grab a 3 horse motor for the back of it. But, I doubt I will be able to afford either of those two for quite a while, so I will most likely do a cheap canoe.

EDIT: another route I have considered is getting a cheaper 8-10' sit on top and keeping a blow up raft onboard in case I get a kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0220.JPG I have both a fs12t kayak from bass pro and an old fiberglass 12' canoe.
The kayak is a sit on top rated at 350 lbs and is super stable but heavier than the canoe.

I use a double blade paddle for the canoe and it works great, has a higher capacity, but is tippier than the kayak

The nucanoe frontier mentioned is a heavy, wide, stable boat. If weight, and cost are of no concern and you didn't have far to paddle the nucanoe would be at the top of my list.
I'm cheap though and if it were me I would find a used plastic or fiberglass canoe 12-15' long on Craigslist.

Last edited:
Back