• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dressing in layers

ramjet

I'm going to buy some new cold weather cloths and would like to get some suggestion. Base layer will be wool and after that I'm not sure. I will be use this in temperature 35 degrees and below.

A windblock fleece layer and an insulated layer and you'll be close to good.
I just got a KUIU Teton Insulated jacket and LOVE it. I wear a Cabelas Wooltimate hybrid jacket or an REI wind fleece jacket with it.

I can't wear the insulated jacket if I am moving or I get hot.

I have cabelas Wooltimate pants. Love them.

For stationary or active use? Makes a big difference. For active hunting a widely accepted layering system is wool then fleece with a down or synthetic puffy to put on when stopped. For saddle hunting, I'm a big fan of insulated bibs. I layer wool, fleece, then insulated jacket on top. The bibs help ensure heat doesn't escape the midsection. If it's really cold I'll add a puffy vest between the fleece and insulated jacket. All outer layers are wind blocking for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm a synthetic guy. My issued stuff hasn't failed me in the worst of cold climates and conditions. Works great for hunting. Only had to buy quality outter layers. My system is:
- Silk weight base layer top and bottom.
- polartech power dry grid fleece top and bottom as second layer
- northface Verto as third layer that acts as a wind break/vapor barrier (better than windshirt imo)
- $20 black Columbia fleece over that if it's really cold. (Way better than issued green fleece)
- I use goretex soft shell bib and jacket as the outter layer.
- wool hat and glove liners (retains some r value when wet vs fleece hats/gloves)

I had Velcro sewn down the legs on the grid fleece so you can just drop trow and put them on without having to take boots off Ect.

If it's late season/ muzzleloader I usually wear the first two layers and then use my cabelas Berber fleece top and bottom. That's only for the coldest days though. That stuff is no joke warm.

No. It's a real different type of material. Packs into the pocket into about the size of an iPhone 4.

I'm a synthetic guy. My issued stuff hasn't failed me in the worst of cold climates and conditions. Works great for hunting. Only had to buy quality outter layers. My system is:
- Silk weight base layer top and bottom.
- polartech power dry grid fleece top and bottom as second layer
- northface Verto as third layer that acts as a wind break/vapor barrier (better than windshirt imo)
- $20 black Columbia fleece over that if it's really cold. (Way better than issued green fleece)
- I use goretex soft shell bib and jacket as the outter layer.
- wool hat and glove liners (retains some r value when wet vs fleece hats/gloves)

I had Velcro sewn down the legs on the grid fleece so you can just drop trow and put them on without having to take boots off Ect.

If it's late season/ muzzleloader I usually wear the first two layers and then use my cabelas Berber fleece top and bottom. That's only for the coldest days though. That stuff is no joke warm.

The Berber fleece is super warm, but the fit is very poor for tall people. Wish they offered it in tall sizes. As is the pants are floods and the shirts fit more like belly shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back