• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Let's see those traditional set ups

deleted_user01

How bout posting pics of your traditional gear...I'm thinkin of crossing over to the traditional side of hunting ; probably recurve. I've got the spring summer and early fall to get back in touch with it....been almost 30 yrs since I shot a trad bow. So I'd like to get some ideas for a bow and equipment from the vets here....

Well Red, I'm shooting a Robertson Vision Falcon pulling 51# at 28". If I recall, it's 54" long. She's a sweet shooter. I shoot aluminum 2216's tipped with quality 2 blade Magnus, Zwickey or Zephyr broadheads sharpened Li'l Shaver sharp. Prior to shooting this one I hunted with a Green Mountain Longbow. It was a beautiful bow but it pulled 58# which is what I ordered and used for years, However as I got older, it became too much bow for me. Reluctantly, I had to sell it but I found this bow at a Traditional Shoot and fell in love with it.

Picture_462_%28Small%29.jpg

Picture_455_edited_%28Small%29.jpg

Picture_457_edited_%28Small%29.jpg

11-9-12_037_%28Small%29~0.jpg

If you make the switch to traditional equipment, once you get past the learning curve, you'll never go back, (kind of like a saddle). The satisfaction you'll get is off the charts. I don't know if they still have the Traditional shoot in Coon Rapids anymore but if so, it would be a good place to go to see and shoot all kinds of new and used bows. I was a vendor up there years ago selling my Li'l Shaver broadhead sharpener.

Very nice...I've had a bug in me for a Super Kodiak T/D; but want to see the custom bows I'm unfamiliar with ...I'd like to buy once cry once ....

I seem to have a problem getting pictures to load as they are too large on my phone. You may want to go to a shoot in your area not so much to shoot but to talk to everyone as the trad guys are always helpful and friendly. I thought I wanted to shoot a recurve too. Now, I do not own a single recurve and own and shoot only longbows. You will also want to try different grips. I just got rid of a longbow that had a grip larger than what I liked. Great bow but did not feel right. My favorite one so far after many longbows and recurves has been the Bob Sarrels Blueridge short riser take down. Having said that, I was able to handle a toelke whip last night and it felt great but it was not in my draw weight (8# less) so I want to test one closer to what I shoot.

This has been a long way of saying there are hundreds of bow makers and everything changes the bow. (Length, poundage, style, material) so the best thing to do is shoot a bunch (for free) at a shoot and test drive them so you can narrow your search! It is much like saddle hunting. What 1 person thinks is wonderful, the next may think is junk or just not for them!

You can learn a lot on tradgang.com or on texasbowhunter.com in the traditional forum. I hope you do give it a shot and stick with it. It is a wonderful game to play. Just don't get to heavy a bow. This will build bad habits and make you stop before you get going good.

Well Red, I'm shooting a Robertson Vision Falcon pulling 51# at 28". If I recall, it's 54" long. She's a sweet shooter. I shoot aluminum 2216's tipped with quality 2 blade Magnus, Zwickey or Zephyr broadheads sharpened Li'l Shaver sharp. Prior to shooting this one I hunted with a Green Mountain Longbow. It was a beautiful bow but it pulled 58# which is what I ordered and used for years, However as I got older, it became too much bow for me. Reluctantly, I had to sell it but I found this bow at a Traditional Shoot and fell in love with it.

Picture_462_%28Small%29.jpg

Picture_455_edited_%28Small%29.jpg

Picture_457_edited_%28Small%29.jpg

11-9-12_037_%28Small%29~0.jpg

If you make the switch to traditional equipment, once you get past the learning curve, you'll never go back, (kind of like a saddle). The satisfaction you'll get is off the charts. I don't know if they still have the Traditional shoot in Coon Rapids anymore but if so, it would be a good place to go to see and shoot all kinds of new and used bows. I was a vendor up there years ago selling my Li'l Shaver broadhead sharpener.
The Coon Rapids shoot is father's day weekend...I have it on my calender...thanks for the info....

I seem to have a problem getting pictures to load as they are too large on my phone. You may want to go to a shoot in your area not so much to shoot but to talk to everyone as the trad guys are always helpful and friendly. I thought I wanted to shoot a recurve too. Now, I do not own a single recurve and own and shoot only longbows. You will also want to try different grips. I just got rid of a longbow that had a grip larger than what I liked. Great bow but did not feel right. My favorite one so far after many longbows and recurves has been the Bob Sarrels Blueridge short riser take down. Having said that, I was able to handle a toelke whip last night and it felt great but it was not in my draw weight (8# less) so I want to test one closer to what I shoot.

This has been a long way of saying there are hundreds of bow makers and everything changes the bow. (Length, poundage, style, material) so the best thing to do is shoot a bunch (for free) at a shoot and test drive them so you can narrow your search! It is much like saddle hunting. What 1 person thinks is wonderful, the next may think is junk or just not for them!

You can learn a lot on tradgang.com or on texasbowhunter.com in the traditional forum. I hope you do give it a shot and stick with it. It is a wonderful game to play. Just don't get to heavy a bow. This will build bad habits and make you stop before you get going good.
I'm already worried...:)
I seem to always want more than one..

I'm already worried...:)
I seem to always want more than one..

I think the best thing you can do is start with an ilf rig and light limbs. This gives you the chance to really mess with every option until you know what works best for you in particular while also letting you practice your form correctly. You can change limbs, grips, weight whenever or however you see fit.

I started about 5 years ago. I have been shooting a tradtech titan 3 with dryad acs-rc limbs for the last 3 years. It has been an awesome set up for me.

I drool over the border covert hunters nearly daily though...

Hello im new to the site Very nice looking rigs guys, I myself am looking at getting into traditional been wanting to for sometime now just trying to figure out what to get, trying to find a place to do some testing, then to save hopefully before long I can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Hello im new to the site Very nice looking rigs guys, I myself am looking at getting into traditional been wanting to for sometime now just trying to figure out what to get, trying to find a place to do some testing, then to save hopefully before long I can

Check yard sells and Flea Markets for used bows. You can usually pick them up for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm starting to so far no luck, or at least anything that would be what I can shoot

My brother has a couple takedown recurves. I'll see if he is interested in selling one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the ILF Rig suggestion. That said, I have 60's Ben Pearson 60# 62" Stallion, 70's Ben Pearson 45# 52" Hunter II that are great bows. I am also a big fan of Hill Longbows and I am making Selfbows now too.

But you need a set of light 35# (*when combined with the riser you choose) limbs and then just get another set of limbs for hunting. It really is the best way to transition. And it is cheaper than buying two bows.

I have a Tradtech Galaxy 17" riser and a nice set of Carbon Foam limbs that pull 47#. I then also have 35# Axiom + limbs that were only $89. Take a look at the new Hoyt Satori.

Not the best pictures of it, but the first is my favorite osage orange "longbow" called "Twiggy"
It is 7/8 of an inch wide at the handle, bendy handle bow that is 52 inches nock to nock, drawing 54lbs at 27 inchs. I have built probably at least 20 now, but this bow is always my go to. 76652_584194118872_1539588_n.jpg331908_671130043582_1870005377_o.jpg

Here is another one that I used before I made the bow above, It is a 68 inch osage orange with snake skin backing and a beaver tail handle. It draws 52lbs@27"
6821_550806053822_73101066_32305955_2219187_n.jpg

Thanks,
Boswell

Back