• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pig Hunting in CA

JoMat

Hi Saddlers,

I have a work trip to the west coast coming up and will be stuck there for a weekend. Wild hog hunting is permitted in CA all year, so I'm thinking why not take my bow and see whether I can find one. Problem is, I don't have the first clue about pig hunting (or hunting in CA for that matter).

Here is where I am at so far:

Where
- I will be in Monetery, so I checked public lands in the area. The best I was able to find so far is the Clear Creek BLM area (Monterey Ranger district is mostly closed because of a burn)
- Not sure where there exactly though, will have to look for sign or bedding areas once I'm there

How
- Spot and Stalk during the day and hunting fresh sign (should I find any) in the early AM and late afternoon
- Hunt the wind
- Did my homework on killing zones and such

That's about it - how hard can it be ;) Probably won't even see a pig...

Any input welcome! Thanks!

Ft hunter Liggett or Sonoma lake those would be the top two other than that get close to Hollister or Colinga. If you really want to kill a pig I recommend a guide. The areas are rough, hilly areas. There are pigs all over Ca but are hunted pretty regular. If you get out in Colinga get on the hill tops and watch below you. Have the long range gun ready.

Go to Santa Cruz and check out the mystery spot that is fun. You will be in some beautiful country around there a trip up hwy 1 check out San Francisco and Alcatraz if you ain't ever been. Carmel is a pretty place. If Clint Eastwood is in town he's a regular guy and you might be sitting next to him at a bar and not even know.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

Ft hunter Liggett or Sonoma lake those would be the top two other than that get close to Hollister or Colinga. If you really want to kill a pig I recommend a guide. The areas are rough, hilly areas. There are pigs all over Ca but are hunted pretty regular. If you get out in Colinga get on the hill tops and watch below you. Have the long range gun ready.

Go to Santa Cruz and check out the mystery spot that is fun. You will be in some beautiful country around there a trip up hwy 1 check out San Francisco and Alcatraz if you ain't ever been. Carmel is a pretty place. If Clint Eastwood is in town he's a regular guy and you might be sitting next to him at a bar and not even know.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

Hi ImThere,

Thanks for taking the time and writing this up, much appreciated!

I was aware of the Military installations but wasn't sure as a non citizen with only 3 days to spend it would be realistic to jump through the hoops they might require me to jump through to get permission. Maybe it's a mistake assuming that, I'll go back and actually try to find out what the requirements are.

Unfortunately rifle is not an option at the moment.
/rant_on I recently moved to Illinois, and it seems the geniuses in state legislation there omitted a rule allowing non permanent residents (which normally are not allowed to own firearms) to have firearms for hunting when they copy/pasted federal law. Even NY wasn't THAT stupid. Long story short, if I brought my hunting guns (that I legally bought and owned in NY) to IL I could end up with an illegal firearms charge! So I left everything with a friend in NY and for the time being have only my bow. /rant_off

Could be worse, I prefer the bow anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back