• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing spikes

If you could buy climbing spikes again based on what you know now which kind would you buy.?????

Same ones I have now. No complaints at all with them! The first set of pads I got I didn't like as much but now with the aluminum pads they are about perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same ones I have now. No complaints at all with them! The first set of pads I got I didn't like as much but now with the aluminum pads they are about perfect for me.

Which kind of spikes and pads are you using flinginairos. I see Quadro likes climb rite... thanks

I have a pair of aluminum bashlins. Haven't used them yet. I need to get new pads and straps. Any recommendations? I see some guys upgraded to webbing.

Yes , the nylon webbing is much easier, an quieter. I went with 2" on the top , and just used some old strapping I had laying around for the bottom . Think it's 3/4".

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

You just sewed on the buckles?
Yes , the nylon webbing is much easier, an quieter. I went with 2" on the top , and just used some old strapping I had laying around for the bottom . Think it's 3/4".

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Yes . I have a thread injecter. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have the climb rights as well. I wouldn't mind upgrading my pads, but the spurs and the webbing buckle mod are working great.

Just got the Ok from the wife to order some spurs!!!
I think I'm going to go with the ClimbRite Aluminum spurs with the ultralight aluminum pads. I'll do the webbing mod pretty quickly, but I am loving the diversity of climbing methods I'll have at my disposal now.
Sticks, sticks w/aiders, bolts, and spurs... I feel like I'll be able to hunt anywhere. Thank goodness there's 80,000 acres around me where there no restrictions on spikes or drilling :) I feel like a kid in a candy store!

For those of you who have them, I have heard reference several times to sharpening the spikes so you don't have to jam them in as hard, any good guidance on how to do so? Like what angles to leave, how much to take off, etc?

Also, looks like wespur only sells them with pole gaffs, do I need to buy tree gaffs and swap them out?

I think I'm going to go with the ClimbRite Aluminum spurs with the ultralight aluminum pads. I'll do the webbing mod pretty quickly, but I am loving the diversity of climbing methods I'll have at my disposal now.
Sticks, sticks w/aiders, bolts, and spurs... I feel like I'll be able to hunt anywhere. Thank goodness there's 80,000 acres around me where there no restrictions on spikes or drilling :) I feel like a kid in a candy store!

For those of you who have them, I have heard reference several times to sharpening the spikes so you don't have to jam them in as hard, any good guidance on how to do so? Like what angles to leave, how much to take off, etc?

You shouldn't have to sharpen them for a very long time if you are using them exclusively during hunting season.

Yup I like the variety of climbing methods. My good wife said I could buy some climb rites too. I cannot use them everywhere but they would be handy sometimes. I might bite the bullet.

Ikeman, you might check treestuff.com, to see about the climbrites with tree spurs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That set up will be perfect, it is what I've switched to. The spikes are super sharp. There is no reason to worry about sharpening them, at least now.

Back