• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

NJ blood tracking bill

Red,
Forgive my ignorance but am I interpreting this correctly? The use of dogs to track game has been illegal until now??

Red,
Forgive my ignorance but am I interpreting this correctly? The use of dogs to track game has been illegal until now??
Yes that is correct. I'm not sure exactly how long ago it started, but they gave permits to a handful of people to be able to use dogs to track wounded or dead deer. I used one of them 5 years ago to help me find my buck after it rained a few inches overnight. It really opened my eyes to how effective this is, the dog picked up the trail immediately and followed it about 100 yards into the middle of the swamp with no visible blood remaining. I am really hoping this passes.

Can't see the harm in allowing blood tracking with dogs.

What was the reason it was outlawed in the first place? Tracking dogs only via permit seems like a bit of a money grab to me personally, but maybe they had their reasons...

Can't see the harm in allowing blood tracking with dogs.

What was the reason it was outlawed in the first place? Tracking dogs only via permit seems like a bit of a money grab to me personally, but maybe they had their reasons...
First, everything is a money grab in this state. You don't want to know what I spend on permits for all the seasons and zones we have. But this actually was probably a trial period to see how it faired.

I am only guessing but the intent of the law was originally probably really meant to keep people from deer hunting with dogs. With the popularity of tracking dogs recently I am happy to see they are considering revising it. That is one thing that I am happy about with my state. They have been pretty good over the past 10 years with updating some of our laws in favor of hunters. By far the 2 most impactful have been opening up a lot of land to sunday bowhunting and reducing the bow safety zone to 150 feet.

Never had problems with anyones deer tracking dogs...

Coyote dogs on the other hand... i've got stories.

No question about it being a money grab. It's absurd to think that a man is guilty of an unlawful act if he lets his dog run around the woods smelling the ground. We have used dogs in Ga. for as long as I can remember.

Illegal in WV to knowingly allow a dog on a deer or turkey track also. I would love to see a law allowing use for tracking wounded deer with like a 50ft leader leash, would save a lot of wasted game.

Back