• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

HuntStand

I use it quite a bit. I also use OnX. Each has pros and cons. For doing any kind of "high level" research, I like OnX WAAAAAY better, because of how easily visible all of the public and private boundaries are to see, even when zoomed out. It saves a ton of time. Also, I haven't been able to get Topo maps on my Huntstand mobile app so OnX has an edge there.

However, for micro scouting when I'm picking a property or hunting area apart, Huntstand clearly has the upper hand. It's easier to navigate while drawing lines and shapes, easier to measure distance and area, etc.

I tried using just Huntstand last year but found myself still going back to OnX for finding the places to scout initially.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I haven't used huntstand in a while, but I'll second what @bowhunter15 said. I have a few different mapping tools that I use, I find that any one alone is never enough.

Haven't tried huntstsnd... I kept defaulting back to google earth, bing, and garmin base camp.

My cell signal isn't consistent enough nor the gps accurate when I need it. The gps is accurate in 5-10 meters and my phone pin drops were getting me within 50... big difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been pretty happy with HuntStand. I can invite friends to create a group and sync scouting reports and sightings with others who are hunting the same general area. It really helps as a force multiplier to know where and when deer are moving even if you aren't out that day.

I need to try that one as well. I've been using OnX which I really like. It worked flawless on my last scouting trip with the maps saved for offline use. Seems I use 5-6 different mapping resources to get everything I need tho lol

I need to try that one as well. I've been using OnX which I really like. It worked flawless on my last scouting trip with the maps saved for offline use. Seems I use 5-6 different mapping resources to get everything I need tho lol

I like Onxy a lot for certain things too. I use 3 resources every time I'm out. Google earth and onxy on my phone and my gps with the topo maps.

782879bfe05e3967d2e11c3da8897a8c.jpg

Just in case you have never used it, this is what one of my areas looked like last season. I marked stand locations, scrapes, rubs, bedding areas, feeding areas, ridgelines, and access routes. I also noted time and weather conditions as I saw new sign. The red slice indicates downwind direction given current weather. The maps pull from Google maps, and you can pull up terrain, satellite, or hybrid. I agree it may be for more micro targeting, but it gives a pretty good tactical picture of deer movement in a specific area once you have that nailed down.

1cd4500e17569b3e37afe0166f91f64d.jpg

Huntstand has been my goto for the last year and covers most of what I need. The scent cone is nice and the weather forecast, specifically wind speeds, is surprisingly accurate. X2 on measuring both distance and area. One thing I'd like is a "bread crumb" or backtrack feature for scouting, and returning months later to public land. The old Cabela's app did this quite well. This app may also do it?? Been thinking about a GPS for this but that's just more gear to carry.

It will track your route using gps. On the main menu select "add/edit". In the next screen, select "trace a line". Then hit "start" at the bottom and begin your route. When finished walking, save it and select the color label. That is how I made the yellow and orange lines you see in the screenshots. Be careful, it will suck up your battery using this mode, but once it is done you can utilize offline mode (it saves your map and satellite image but you still need to have gps enabled on the phone). If you don't want to spend extra money on yet another piece of gear or add more stuff to carry, it's not a bad option.

It will track your route using gps. On the main menu select "add/edit". In the next screen, select "trace a line". Then hit "start" at the bottom and begin your route. When finished walking, save it and select the color label. That is how I made the yellow and orange lines you see in the screenshots. Be careful, it will suck up your battery using this mode, but once it is done you can utilize offline mode (it saves your map and satellite image but you still need to have gps enabled on the phone). If you don't want to spend extra money on yet another piece of gear or add more stuff to carry, it's not a bad option.

Cool. Exactly what I'm wanting. I'll try that this afternoon. Thanx

I just got Hunt Stand. Really cool. I wish satellite pics were in the late fall or early winter. Full on green makes it tougher to pick out stuff in the ground.

If I'm sitting in SC and wanting to view an area in, let's say, Ohio. How do I make this happen if I do not already have a "spot" marked? For the life of me I cannot figure it out. Guess I'm so used to scoutlook and the others I use. Primarily the reason I'm not currently using huntstand.

Huntstand question: Can you print hard copies of your maps? If so how?

I couldn't find a print button either. A workaround would be to take a screenshot on your computer and paste it to a PowerPoint.
1) Zoom into the area you want to print,
2) hold down [shift] then hit the [print screen] key on your keyboard.
3) open a new PowerPoint document
4) paste that image into that document, resize it to fit the page and print from there

It's clunky but would work.

If I'm sitting in SC and wanting to view an area in, let's say, Ohio. How do I make this happen if I do not already have a "spot" marked? For the life of me I cannot figure it out. Guess I'm so used to scoutlook and the others I use. Primarily the reason I'm not currently using huntstand.

1A) If you are on the desktop, there is a green button at the top left for "manage hunting areas". When you select that, a window will appear with your existing areas(if you have any). To add a new area, click the "+" sign on the upper right of the menu bar to add a new hunt location.

1B) If you are on the phone, there is a map icon in the top center of the menu bar right under the current time. Tap that to "manage hunting areas". The next screen will have a green button at the bottom to "add/edit/delete areas". Click that.

2) Once you are in this menu, You can then use the search function to search a particular address like a farm, or a park such as "Wayne National Forest" and the map will zoom to there. You can also just scroll and zoom in/ out. Select your area, add property boundaries and save it. I get 10 parcel boundaries for free per month. Use the topo maps and satellite photos to narrow down scout locations, mark points, saddles, and transition areas to scout on the ground.

Let me know if that helps!

It's not much different than Scoutlook. & if the Apple functionality is different this may not help - For Android, tap mapping on the main screen, then switch the map to "normal" view in the upper right (3 dots) It will look like earth or any other map app. Then zoom to the area you want. Once zoomed in I switch back to satellite view.

green button at the bottom to "add/edit/delete areas"
Yep - This alone tells me the apps are different for the two platforms. On this screen mine just has a button to delete the current area. The Droid version probably has that somewhere, now I just have to look for it. It took me a minute to find the search function as well. Thanx @Sheepdog

1A) If you are on the desktop, there is a green button at the top left for "manage hunting areas". When you select that, a window will appear with your existing areas(if you have any). To add a new area, click the "+" sign on the upper right of the menu bar to add a new hunt location.

1B) If you are on the phone, there is a map icon in the top center of the menu bar right under the current time. Tap that to "manage hunting areas". The next screen will have a green button at the bottom to "add/edit/delete areas". Click that.

2) Once you are in this menu, You can then use the search function to search a particular address like a farm, or a park such as "Wayne National Forest" and the map will zoom to there. You can also just scroll and zoom in/ out. Select your area, add property boundaries and save it. I get 10 parcel boundaries for free per month. Use the topo maps and satellite photos to narrow down scout locations, mark points, saddles, and transition areas to scout on the ground.

Let me know if that helps!

This is what I needed but still having trouble "zooming" to location or area. It just sits there on map view in the area I'm currently at. Hard trying to find specific ridges or areas in other states having to physically zoom in trying to find small towns and side roads. With scoutlook I just type location in search box and enter. Basically like Google Earth.

I'm using s5 android system. Sure it's operator error but can't make it work using this simple mind of mine. :(

I'll play around on it some more at work tonight.

Thanks

Last edited:
@SG843 - I'm guessing you haven't found search? I didn't even know there was a search option until @Sheepdog posted that. On the Droid, tap on the hunstand logo upper left, then click the manage hunt areas box. Tap the teardrop with the + to add areas. Tap the search magnifier. Tap the bar at top where it says address or lat/long and put in the location.. That's a little easier and faster than the map scanning I was doing before.

Back