• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Light weight saddle

Your dog gives a whole new meaning to "got wood". :lol:

I noticed you shoot thumb up like Fred Bear. I could never get comfortable with that style.

If that dog could only pull arrows! I had a lab that would find arrows that buried under the grass. I don't know if it was the smell of the feathers but she was good!

Re: RE: Re: Light weight saddle

essdub said:
BassBoysLLP said:
Sweet! Can't wait for a the steel poll review!
That's a great way to think of his stuff. I loved those videos of the minimalist saddle from the steel pole

And Ken, if this sling is ever too heavy or bulky, it's because we've regressed to the point of throwing rocks at game while running naked through the woods
Shaun

That's how the little lady refers to me.... The steel pole lol....

As far as tree size, Swamp, I use the platform in any sized tree. If it is real large i just carry one out two steps. My platform weighs just a little over a pound more then a ratchet strap and five steps does and it can fit inside my pack.... But i tend to just strap it to the outside. How many steps does it really take to work around a large tree with ameristeps? My platform and one or two is all i usually ever need to use. The problem i had with ameristeps was they would sheaths shift at the wrong time and make noise and it was very hard for me to rotate around a tree quietly. Since i tend to hunt really thick stuff deer were often with 30 yards before i even saw them.... Didn't have time to move around a tree quietly. Now i don't have to :)

DaveT1963 said:
essdub said:
BassBoysLLP said:
That's a great way to think of his stuff. I loved those videos of the minimalist saddle from the steel pole

And Ken, if this sling is ever too heavy or bulky, it's because we've regressed to the point of throwing rocks at game while running naked through the woods
Shaun

That's how the little lady refers to me.... The steel pole lol....

As far as tree size, Swamp, I use the platform in any sized tree. If it is real large i just carry one out two steps. My platform weighs just a little over a pound more then a ratchet strap and five steps does and it can fit inside my pack.... But i tend to just strap it to the outside. How many steps does it really take to work around a large tree with ameristeps? My platform and one or two is all i usually ever need to use. The problem i had with ameristeps was they would sheaths shift at the wrong time and make noise and it was very hard for me to rotate around a tree quietly. Since i tend to hunt really thick stuff deer were often with 30 yards before i even saw them.... Didn't have time to move around a tree quietly. Now i don't have to :)

I really like the small platform idea especially the fact that you can strap it to your back pack. I would like to figure out a replacement for my Ameristeps. I would need to have it strapped on my back pack with 3 lonewolf sticks and be quiet. May just mount it on my top step if I can figure a way for it all to lie flat and not stick up too high or too low.

essdub said:
BassBoysLLP said:
Shaun
I just almost spit out my drink on that one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: Light weight saddle

IkemanTX said:
essdub said:
BassBoysLLP said:
Shaun
I just almost spit out my drink on that one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad I could help. I'm told that them loincloths ain't saddle friendly

Shaun

Here is the latest mod made to this saddle. I ditched the 2 carabiners and fixed length 1" runners sling bridge for an adjustable 1/4" amsteel bridge. Love this mod!

Are you still using the whoopy for the sling bridge? Where are you with development on the saddle?

Back