• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Garmin Oregon 600 Battery Pack

d_rek

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone had ever made a DIY battery pack for their garmin device? Specifically an Oregon 600.

I found some older forum posts from around the web but no clear DIY instructions, just a few images.

Here's a couple below:
154211192.JnAsJKGi.jpg 154556330.qtniAJ7A.jpg

It looks like they are just using a .5mm thick piece of sheet plastic and heatshrink/tape to keep the battery pack together. Most are using panasonic eneloop NiMH batteries for their pack.

And also found this in an Amazon review:
When you put a thin piece of plastic on top of that button and then install the batteries on top of that, they will hold the plastic piece in place and it will keep pushing that button, which makes the device think you've spent a small fortune on the oh-so-special battery pack and it will charge the batteries while it's plugged in.

I'm not going to pay what garmin is asking for their rechargeable battery pack, but wouldn't mind a DIY solution since the eneloop batteries + a charger are so cheap.

Anyone?

Regards,
d_rek

I'm all about after market DIY mods but i don't think I'd mess with my GPS. For the money invested into it, I wouldn't want to ruin it but that's me. I'd keep buying disposable lithiums or buy Garmin's recharge pack. The one I'm seeing online is only $18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut a square piece of plastic like mentioned and taped it over the button in the battery compartment. Insert two Panasonic Eneloop AA's and good to go. The batteries spread the force over the plastic to the button keeping it depressed. Don't forget to change the settings in your unit for rechargeable batteries. Work great and I sure don't miss replacing regular batteries all the time. After each day using my GPS I plug it into the USB of my computer to download info and charge at the same time. Ready to go again very quickly for the next time. Doesn't get any simpler than that. Never have to open my battery compartment ever again.

Also don't think there is anyway to ruin your unit. I have done this 100's of times. Read the reviews on the Garmin battery pack......they're junk. I wouldn't waste my money on those. Good high quality rechargeables are a much better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Simple-clever little trick, great! The piece of plastic doesn't need a full wrap to be hold in place. Agree with Dewey: I don't see any reason why the mod could harm your GPS in any way.

Back