• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The Onehair Tree Seat

justsomedude

I made one a few years ago. It is basically a bosun's chair with a standoff sticking out the front to keep you and your knees off the tree when you rest.

00small46128067.jpg

I used 3/4" Pressure Treat Plywood (had a scrap). I started with a 20" Square. The seat is 20" Wide x 14" with a 6" extension between your Legs that is 4" Wide. With the Seat cut 14" deep, I can slide back a bit and have my upper legs supported.

Rounded off the edges with a Router. Routed out Slots for the Straps. I painted the bottom with Flat Krylon Camo paint. Painted the top to seal it.

For the Straps I used 1" Tubular CLIMBING Webbing.
The Webbing is about 26" from the bottom of the Seat up to the Carabiner (actual running length).

I used two 89" pieces of Webbing with Water Knots and running under the Seat and through the Slots and that came out right.
The webbing is tied in CONTINUOUS LOOPS running under the cushion after going through the slots on the sides of the plywood.
The plywood could break and the straps are still there.

Just clip them with a Carabiner. Leaving the straps loose in the Carabiner lets the Seat equalize itself Left to Right and you can Lean out to the sides easily.
00small75665076.jpg

I made Foot Stirrups.

I have a 48" Climbing Sling ("Runner") wrapped around the Tree. A Loop of Climbing Webbing tied with a Water Knot works well too but the Knot adds Bulk.

The Runner is Girth Hitched to a Length of Webbing.

The Webbing has Bowline loops tied into each end. Then in the Middle there is an Alpine Butterfly Knot which is Girth Hitched to the Runner.

You can fully Stand up in the Stirrups to adjust your Rope that the Seat is hanging on. You can also push off of the Tree in the Stirrups. AND when you relax against the Tree they can support your feet.
IMG_2569.jpg

Stirrups.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

Do you still use it? What are the cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you still use it? What are the cons?

I immediately knew I wanted to be on a saddle. I got my NewTribe right at the end of the season and later I scavenged the webbing off my onehair.

In my head at the time, I thought it would be less complicated to have one saddle rather than a climbing harness and a seat. Of course that's exactly what I do when I use the SitDrag or my new Hammock thing...

You can wear the one hair on your back with the webbing over your shoulders diagonally while you hike in and climb. Same way I hook up my sit drag. I didn't HAVE to use 3/4" ply...could have done 1/2".
A true saddle like the NewTribe definitely feels more mobile in the tree but I was able to full on stand sideways on trees and shoot straight behind me no problem with the OneHair.

And my early hunts I did a nose tick climb using a foot loop.

It doesn't sound like there are many cons. It sounds like a cheap and viable alternative. Add a back strap and I may get my buddies willing to try.
I'll need a rather large climbing harness to go around the winter clothing up here

I immediately knew I wanted to be on a saddle. I got my NewTribe right at the end of the season and later I scavenged the webbing off my onehair.

In my head at the time, I thought it would be less complicated to have one saddle rather than a climbing harness and a seat. Of course that's exactly what I do when I use the SitDrag or my new Hammock thing...

You can wear the one hair on your back with the webbing over your shoulders diagonally while you hike in and climb. Same way I hook up my sit drag. I didn't HAVE to use 3/4" ply...could have done 1/2".
A true saddle like the NewTribe definitely feels more mobile in the tree but I was able to full on stand sideways on trees and shoot straight behind me no problem with the OneHair.

And my early hunts I did a nose tick climb using a foot loop.
I loved mine. It's down in the basement right now minus the accessory cord. I thought it was great and I was so comfortable in it that I could put a strap around my torso and I would wake up an hour later. It was like sitting in my arm chair at home.
My only issue was having to have a second harness for my LB. I do miss it from time to time but I don't miss carrying all the climbing sticks.

I've been reading off and on on this forum for a couple of years. I saw the onehair tree seat on another site several years ago. I decided to build one after Trophyline went under and just got around to it. I bought a boat winch strap a couple years ago and couldn't find it when I finished cutting out the seat. Digging through my fall harnesses I found a couple tree straps and tried using them. I actually like the way they worked. I wanted to see what everyone thought about using one of the belts closest to the tree and a fixed bridge webbing on the side away from the tree. I bounced on them pretty good in the backyard and they held fine. The reason I would like to leave one is when I was sitting against the tree webbing of equal length worked great. When I stood leaning back It was nice to be able to adjust the length so the seat remained flat against me. I also think that if you run the straps through the slots and under the plywood you could drop the plywood thickness down to 1/4" instead of the 3/4 inch and save a lot of weight. I think the 1/4 inch will flex some but doubt it would break. Worst case if it broke would be a few splinters since I will be using mine with a rock harness also. I just wanted to see what others thought about it. With a cushion it's actually very comfortable. I may get something like a sit drag to mod for ultralight hunts but for anything preset or less than a mile from the truck I don't see anything much lighter being comfortable enough not to use it.

Reactions: PJC
I had mine rigged where it was fairly self equalizing if I leaned .
As long as it won't flip you out of the seat I think you'll be good.

In that picture of my silhouette I was standing completely sideways on the tree.

I've been fooling around with some ideas similar to this. I've just been using 1" tubular climbing spec webbing with figure 8's on a bight on either side hooked up to a biner and a bridge rather than the boat strap.

Reactions: PJC
This looks pretty cool, love the idea, has anyone tried something like this for a platform?

This looks pretty cool, love the idea, has anyone tried something like this for a platform?
What do you mean for a platform? If you mean to have a board suspended that you use to stand on, I think it would pivot and swing too much to be stable. If you went that route I think you would be better off trying to use "stirrups" but I have never tried them.

I'd be interested in making this type of seat. I just don't understand the rigging very well yet. Seeing it in person would sure help.

I'd be interested in making this type of seat. I just don't understand the rigging very well yet. Seeing it in person would sure help.

Google "Onehair Treeseat" images. That will answer a lot of questions. I'd be happy to explain if you're still not seeing what you need.

The advantage is the standoff that keeps your knees off the tree. Plus, if you make it wide enough, no squeeze on your legs. Just the pressure of sitting on a bench.

Just buy an XOP hand Climber Seat. Great platform and it gets you up the tree as well

Can you get just the seat or do you have to buy the whole tree stand? Would you be able to move around the tree with that kind of platform? Seems to me that once you put your weight on the side of it and leaned out it would slip off the tree, do you secure it with a strap or something when you get to hunting height?

You can buy just the seat part. A bungee will keep it from falling should you cause the bottom to kick out. You can use it to move around the tree some as long as you keep one foot toward the back and don't push away from the tree. You don't really need to move that far around the tree since you can simply stand up and turn around to shoot behind you.

I keep my feet in the straps most of the time. I made them wide. I can just put my weight on my tether and lift my feet to move around the tree.

I keep a small rope tied from my saddle to the foot straps. I can pull it to open up the foot straps. And it is a safety so the platform can't fall down the tree leaving me stranded.

I think it is a great system

Sounds pretty cool can you put up a picture or a full description with a list of items needed, I'm trying to understand/visualize this setup and failing :(

I keep my feet in the straps most of the time. I made them wide. I can just put my weight on my tether and lift my feet to move around the tree.

I keep a small rope tied from my saddle to the foot straps. I can pull it to open up the foot straps. And it is a safety so the platform can't fall down the tree leaving me stranded.

I think it is a great system
Sounds pretty cool can you put up a picture or a full description with a list of items needed, I'm trying to understand/visualize this setup and failing :(
I don't do this often but there is a thread on the hand climber seat for a platform so let's move this discussion over there just to keep this thread on topic. Thanks guys.

Back