• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recurve question?

Vorsteg

SH Member
I have been shooting with a Mathews Z9 and Switchback LD at 32" draw. I am interested in adding a recurve set up. My dad left me his Bear Bearcat (66", 46 # @ 28"). Too much for me at full draw. Any suggestions for a set up for long draw archers?

Go to Big Stick Archery on Facebook. He's out of Iowa. He makes longbows and recurves. He's a big guy with a long draw. He can answer your questions. Tell him hello from Paul in Beloit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most "factory made" bows are built to an AMO standard of 28". Some will draw beyond 28" without too much stack up, some won't. Generally, your draw length will be less with a stick bow than a compound. You'll likely drop 1 to 2 inches of draw pulling a recurve or long bow. That still puts you in there with a 30 to 31 inch draw. There will be used bows out there for sale with draw lengths in that range. Check the Leatherwall classifieds. The Leatherwall is another good source for answers to your questions.

Figure out your true draw before you get too worried. Can you draw your Bearcat well enough to at least measure?

You'll also need to figure out a baseline anchor point. Most people will draw their finger to the corner of their mouth as a start. Drawing farther back will tend to pull the arrow out of line.

If you can get to a big trad shooting event this summer, you could try out a lot of bows in person.

I have been shooting with a Mathews Z9 and Switchback LD at 32" draw. I am interested in adding a recurve set up. My dad left me his Bear Bearcat (66", 46 # @ 28"). Too much for me at full draw. Any suggestions for a set up for long draw archers?

Check out this video from archers creek on you tube about the bear kodiak magnum ... I have a 29" draw with my recurves and the bear kodiak magnum ( New Model ) is very comfy for me shooting from my aero hunter , no stacking and this guy shows how this short bow does not stack and he is right. I had to drop the poundage to 45 lbs @ 28 but the short amo of the kodiak magnum is a faster bow than some of my other heavier poundage bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General rule of thumb for most modern trad bows is 3# per inch of draw over 28". So in your case 46#@28" would equate to 3# x 4" = 12# so your drawing aprox 58# @32". I would say you will probably lose a couple inches in draw length in switching to trad bows so you can use this equation to figure what draw weight needs to be at 28" to get your desired weight at your draw length. One last note if your draw length ends up over 29" you would be more comfortable with a longer bow say 64" minimum preferably 66". Just my 2 cents from years of shooting trad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Modern trad bows may be 3# per inch but most of them are 2#. I agree completely with the bow length. Longer is more forgiving.

To look for bows.....local CL, Rocky Mtn Specialty Gear of CO, Tradgang sponsor classifieds. Many good makes out there. My daughter has a St. Joe River as they have a trade in program once she outgrows it.

BTW, you aren't going to "feel" the same drawing a trad bow if you have rarely done it. A #46 bow is very doable at your draw and should be just about perfect. Give yourself a week or two of practice before you buy something different. Muscles just aren't used to it yet. Don't lock the bow arm and use your back to draw.

Arrows are super important. Spine means more than with a compound. You'll want a full length 500 spine for carbon. Nock around 1/8" to 1/4" high. Find the right brace height or it's going to shoot like crap.

Figure out your true draw before you get too worried. Can you draw your Bearcat well enough to at least measure?

You'll also need to figure out a baseline anchor point. Most people will draw their finger to the corner of their mouth as a start. Drawing farther back will tend to pull the arrow out of line.

If you can get to a big trad shooting event this summer, you could try out a lot of bows in person.
Traditional bows do indeed incorporate some different muscles during draw than does a compound. I started with a 50 # Browning Wasp many years ago. I switched to a 65# Bear Grizzly and I began an exercise routine from an old Bowhunting mag. They had a different routine for compounds.
I found also that accuracy was enhanced when the draw, release and follow through was one smooth motion. The instinct to "hold" your draw and aim is counterproductive in traditional archery. It's similar to shotgunning birds, you point and shoot. It takes more practice but the satisfaction of a good shot causes a wider grin.

Traditional bows do indeed incorporate some different muscles during draw than does a compound. I started with a 50 # Browning Wasp many years ago. I switched to a 65# Bear Grizzly and I began an exercise routine from an old Bowhunting mag. They had a different routine for compounds.
I found also that accuracy was enhanced when the draw, release and follow through was one smooth motion. The instinct to "hold" your draw and aim is counterproductive in traditional archery. It's similar to shotgunning birds, you point and shoot. It takes more practice but the satisfaction of a good shot causes a wider grin.

Do you go to the shoots at tannehill? I’d like to meet you. Seems like we have a lot in common.

Do you go to the shoots at tannehill? I’d like to meet you. Seems like we have a lot in common.
I have not made it to one. I interviewed a lady that lives nearby that goes to all the shoots. She won the world championship a couple of times, once with a longbow her husband made, the second with a Howard Hill longbow she had won. I guess I'm getting lazy, I switched to an Excalibur a few years back.
Maybe we can meet up at some point. I'm behind on my tree setups, but you're welcome to come and sit in my swamp when I fix up a few spots. It's as much an adventure as it is a hunt. Ride a couple miles down the river and ease up a tree. There are some very good bucks in there bit they are elusive.

Last edited:
I have not made it to one. I interviewed a lady that lives nearby that goes to all the shoots. She won the world championship a couple of times, once with a longbow her husband made, the second with a Howard Hill longbow she had won. I guess I'm getting lazy, I switched to an Excalibur a few years back.
Maybe we can meet up at some point. I'm behind on my tree setups, but you're welcome to come and sit in my swamp when I fix up a few spots. It's as much an adventure as it is a hunt. Ride a couple miles down the river and ease up a tree. There are some very good bucks in there bit they are elusive.

Well then, you will have to come make a shoot with us next year. I’m not good enough to compete. I just shoot to have fun. My buddy usually does very well. I’m new to Alabama but we have been going to the shoots at tannehill for a few years. Now that I’m here, my buddies from back home have a place to stay without getting a room. Last year I got them to bring a few sacks of crawfish and we boiled them at the house. I’ll give you a shout to join us next time.

Thanks for the offer to make a hunt. With youth season starting next weekend at the Ms camp, my hunts are limited here on out. Maybe we could find time to hook up and make a hunt, or if anything I could help you set up some spots. I love being in the woods and learning other’s hunting styles.

Back