• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finally trying to Saddle hunt!

Holt

Hi everyone, new to this site and wanted to introduce my self. I live and hunt in Maryland. Been hunting for a little over 25 years with the bow. So for the last 5-6 years I have been wanting to use a saddle to hunt. So this year I decided I'm going for it! I started doing some research, and found this site right away. The knowledge here is great and has been able to answer almost all questions I was looking for.

For saddle setup, I decided to use my HSS ultra lite harness for now for safety and I got a Sit and Drag. I built a rope bridge, linesman belt, and tree tether out of a new safe line kit for hang on stands. Got a 35' safe line on sale last winter at cabelas for $13, its 1/2" line but does the trick. I also plan on using a small platform that I pieced together from a hang on stand seat and a 12" cut off piece of Lone wolf stick. The setup so far is really solid and I feel comfortable in it. I started shooting my bow out of it at about 6 feet up just to get use to it. I'm going to need a lot of practice!

Looking forward to using a saddle this season and sharing my adventures and talking with you guys!

I'll tell you, I bought the guidos web early in the summer so that I could get used to it before season....never used it that season.
Kept working with it and reading (on this site) and learning.
The next season, I used it 8 - 10x.
The next season, I sold my summit and went 100% saddle.
Now, I DON'T LOOK BACK, even when I go into a sporting goods store and see the aisle with stands, I turn and walk in another direction.

Good luck with the sit drag, (I have one of those also) and your saddle hunting experience.
STAY SAFE!

I went the same route as you. I wanted to try a saddle without much money. I had been using a rc harness In my tree stands for years. I bought a sitdrag and some rope and started hunting. I was going to buy a new tribe but this works great. I dropped the rc harness after the first year and am using a lineman belt from Ernie
Continually tinkering to find the perfect set for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went the same route as you. I wanted to try a saddle without much money. I had been using a rc harness In my tree stands for years. I bought a sitdrag and some rope and started hunting. I was going to buy a new tribe but this works great. I dropped the rc harness after the first year and am using a lineman belt from Ernie
Continually tinkering to find the perfect set for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm liking the Sitdrag right now, but haven't put any real time in to see how it feels after a few hours. At this point I will stick with it. I want to try a commercial saddle at some point to see if there is any difference. But I don't want to pay the price for a new one before trying one out first. I still have a rc harness back from when I was younger and did some rock climbing. I may have to dig it out and give it a try

I started using a rock climbing harness last year. Researching it brought me to this site. I then realized I already had a Sit Drag. I had bought climbing rope to make tethers and lineman's belts last year too so I was ready to roll. Hunted twice out of the sit drag and I can tell you I am hooked!

It's such a liberating way to hunt. Good luck and I hope you enjoy!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Back