• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Daisy Chain Gear hanger revisited

justsomedude

I keep a daisy chain girth hitched to the top of my backpack and it has a mini (Full Strength) carabiner clipped to the end. I keep calls, rangefinder, rattle, wind checker, extra flashlight etc attached to the daisy chain loops near the pack attachment. I stuff the daisy chain and attached items in the top pouch of my pack.
I try to use as little hardware as possible. Usually just a couple of light plastic carabiners for detachable items (Bino/Monocular, Thermos).

When I haul up my pack, I just pull out the daisy chain and wrap it around the tree below my tether and clip it to itself with the carabiner and I am ready to hunt. And I can't drop anything because it it always attached.

This is a heavy duty Yates daisy chain. At 6' long it is enough for my trees. A standard daisy with a sling attached works too. Standard long daisy chains are usually 55". You can also girth hitch two lightweight daisy chains to each other.

I have one pack that has several elastic pouches inside at the top of the pack. Sometimes I will leave Rangefinder and rattles attached to the pack loop instead of the daisy chain. No chance of banging around that way.

This setup makes setup and packing EASY and you always know where you stuff is.

Cool side benefit....I can clip my harness to the daisy chain if I am having to reset my tether or switching over to rappel.
IMG_2768.JPG

That is really slick! Is that a monocular you're using? I've thought about using one of those for bow hunting just to save a little weight/space.

That is really slick! Is that a monocular you're using? I've thought about using one of those for bow hunting just to save a little weight/space.
That's a Polaris 8x42. It is very good and cheap...I went through about 10 monos before finally finding one that was big enough to actually function. It focuses easily one-handed too.

That's a Polaris 8x42. It is very good and cheap...I went through about 10 monos before finally finding one that was big enough to actually function. It focuses easily one-handed too.
I may have to look into one of those. Did you try the Vortex by chance? That's the one I had been looking at.

I tried the Vortex 8x36. It was bad. Eye relief was bad, it flared and the focus needed two hands.

My binos are the cheap 6x leupolds and they are GREAT. Anything less than that is not worth the weight and bulk savings

I may have to look into one of those. Did you try the Vortex by chance? That's the one I had been looking at.

Off topic a tad but i have the vortex mono and did not find it too bad. The only bad thing i thought was you had to focus with two hands like mentioned. My gear hanger is set up exactly as you have it super slick and works anywhere.

That's very similar to how I do it. I have a home made daisy chain made from 1" webbing. Mine's not attached to my pack either, but the theory is the same. Very nice...I like it.

I keep a daisy chain girth hitched to the top of my backpack and it has a mini (Full Strength) carabiner clipped to the end. I keep calls, rangefinder, rattle, wind checker, extra flashlight etc attached to the daisy chain loops near the pack attachment. I stuff the daisy chain and attached items in the top pouch of my pack.
I try to use as little hardware as possible. Usually just a couple of light plastic carabiners for detachable items (Bino/Monocular, Thermos).

When I haul up my pack, I just pull out the daisy chain and wrap it around the tree below my tether and clip it to itself with the carabiner and I am ready to hunt. And I can't drop anything because it it always attached.

This is a heavy duty Yates daisy chain. At 6' long it is enough for my trees. A standard daisy with a sling attached works too. Standard long daisy chains are usually 55". You can also girth hitch two lightweight daisy chains to each other.

I have one pack that has several elastic pouches inside at the top of the pack. Sometimes I will leave Rangefinder and rattles attached to the pack loop instead of the daisy chain. No chance of banging around that way.

This setup makes setup and packing EASY and you always know where you stuff is.

Cool side benefit....I can clip my harness to the daisy chain if I am having to reset my tether or switching over to rappel.
View attachment 2403
How cumbersome is it to get it hooked around the tree with the pack hooked to it, due to the weight of the pack?

I wonder if you could use your pack as a knee pad hooked off the daisy chain If it was organized right.

I did it once when I had a pack full of insulation layers. But you have to hang the pack too low to be practical.
You can hang a cushion from the daisy with paracord
I wonder if you could use your pack as a knee pad hooked off the daisy chain If it was organized right.

Back