• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2017/2018 Hunting Contest Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in... does Elk season count? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Red

Do you think we could have a second buck count for 5 points instead of a doe. That way we don't have to kill a doe It would be nice to have that option

Last edited:
Don't have to kill a doe? I plan on killing several. If I get a nice buck in range, I'll shoot it, but I may not even shoot a buck unless it's in the category I want. Where I'm at, we need does shot....lots of them.

Don't have to kill a doe? I plan on killing several. If I get a nice buck in range, I'll shoot it, but I may not even shoot a buck unless it's in the category I want. Where I'm at, we need does shot....lots of them.
I might kill a doe too but I want the option not too . We have a stable population. Two easy winters. When we have a hard winter... several feet snow deer mortality rises.
I think we have less deer than Michigan... and less hunters.

Our deer population is estimated to be 400,000 in an area that is 1.5 times as big as Texas

Last edited:
I get it now. I went back and read the rules. Only two entries per hunter, so if there are more points possible if you take two bucks. We can take two here as well but I never have.

Our opener is next Friday.....I'm gettin' twitchy.

I get it now. I went back and read the rules. Only two entries per hunter, so if there are more points possible if you take two bucks. We can take two here as well but I never have.

Our opener is next Friday.....I'm gettin' twitchy.
I took two bucks two years ago ... 12 hours apart. I have only shot 4 deer in 4 years... of hunting

Wish we in PA could take 2 buck.
I can kill 2 bucks or 2 does this year with my tags. Or one buck and one Doe all in the archery time. One of the tags can be used in the shotgun week instead.

I may be able to get additional shotgun tags after October 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can kill 2 bucks and 10 does. If you traveled to state wma check in hunts you can kill two per weekend hunt so it would be possible to legally take in excess of 40 deer.
I usually kill one a year sometimes none. I already told the wife to clean out the freezer because we are going to load it up this winter. That really means I'm planning on killing a couple. After about 15 years of liberal doe hunting and the expansion of coyotes you can really tell a difference in the woods in some places. Mainly those areas where people bought into the concept that to kill big bucks you had to harvest does. Some places didn't just kill does they declared war on them.

We can kill 2 bucks and 10 does. If you traveled to state wma check in hunts you can kill two per weekend hunt so it would be possible to legally take in excess of 40 deer.
I usually kill one a year sometimes none. I already told the wife to clean out the freezer because we are going to load it up this winter. That really means I'm planning on killing a couple. After about 15 years of liberal doe hunting and the expansion of coyotes you can really tell a difference in the woods in some places. Mainly those areas where people bought into the concept that to kill big bucks you had to harvest does. Some places didn't just kill does they declared war on them.
I guess that is why I asked that we could substitute a buck for a doe in the contest. We are all having to follow different hunting regulations and conditions. I will shoot a doe but if I get a buck for the freezer first I would like to have an opportunity for a second buck for the contest instead of a doe but the smaller buck only counting for 5 points.ad
Maybe I will get 2 does and no bucks... only 5 points.
We all have different season lengths too... mine is Oct to Dec 1
Whatever the contest rules are, it will be fun - not a big deal one way or the other.
If I have an opportunity for 2 bucks that is what I will take regardless of the contest... it is all for fun anyway.

Last edited:
Talk about a target rich environment! Wow! That must be one heck of a freezer to hold 40 deer. (And a get together every weekend to eat them all by next season!) I am happy when both my wife and I get a buck. (More if we get invited on management hunts.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I don't know anyone who has killed nearly that many legal with exception of crop damage permits and they hunt at night. Just stating that the options there. Alabama is the next state over from me. They use to allow a buck per day. Not sure what their limit is now. The most I've ever killed in one season was three. That's about all I will eat. Now that my son is hunting with me I kill even less.

I know one local bowhunters who is closing in on Delaware deer archery kill #200. Very rare breed.

Delaware awards crop damage tags that allow multiple does to be taken. Most I've taken in a year is four. Right up the road from me is a state run cooler to drop off donated deer.

With all of the construction around here, the fragmentation of properties, and the difficulty in obtaining permission (guys lease and hunt 3x a year), our population continues to explode.

I will think it over about allowing a second buck to count for 5 points instead of a doe. The intent of the current rules was to try to make it as fair as possible across the board for people that hunt in varying states across the country(s) with different bag limits. This sounds like a fair idea so I'll keep it in mine.

I'm in. If I can stop making hunting equipment and start scouting I might improve my team's odds. Funny how my pursuit of having as little weight/stuff on me when I hit the trail, has left me with boxes upon boxes of stuff to make/or try in the effort.

I totally get those "yard sale" posts in the classifieds now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back