• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Grappling hooks?

justsomedude

I just ordered this. GetsIt Retriever. Found them on eBay. Perfect for tabs, releases, hats, gloves, arrows...

This one looks good. Small and light. There's a magnetic version as well.

This one has to be dropped straight onto the item to grab it

Tree Talon. Also has to be dropped

Big and heavy

Am I missing any?
I don't like loose parts. If it isn't small and light, I won't have it. I use a haul line for my Pack/Bow

I have used the getsit for years but I wanted to start using a hook to pull up my pack and bow this year and the barbs on the getsit just aren't strong enough. I found one I like but it doesn't really collapse well without lose parts. So far I haven't dropped any.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The GetsIt is great! Perfect for arrows, hats, gloves, tab etc. The magnets works great on broad heads. It is light enough where i won't mind having it with me.

I've been using a gear grappler for a few seasons. love it as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I built one myself, it doesn't collapse and the sting I'm using is kinda small but works good enough, I put a magnet on it so I can pick up arrows. Version 2 in the product development phase lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Saved my 10 bucks. ;)
96fcf990b4124e085be4fde9961b2321.jpg

The other day I needed to retrieve an arrow...the magnet would have saved the last hour of my hunt
what are you using for arrows? there isn't much metallic. they rarely fall with the broadhead exposed

I'm going to have a magnet with me this season when I am in my saddle.

I don't hunt with only one arrow so losing the only broadhead arrow in my quiver isn't the problem for me. My issue (and concern) is that no matter where you are in a tree, a dropped arrow nearly always lands REALLY dadgum close to where my body would land if I fell. I don't spend much time thinking of falling, but if I do, I can't help thinking of how bad it would be to land on an arrow nock pointing straight up at the sky.

I'm going to have a magnet with me this season when I am in my saddle.

I don't hunt with only one arrow so losing the only broadhead arrow in my quiver isn't the problem for me. My issue (and concern) is that no matter where you are in a tree, a dropped arrow nearly always lands REALLY dadgum close to where my body would land if I fell. I don't spend much time thinking of falling, but if I do, I can't help thinking of how bad it would be to land on an arrow nock pointing straight up at the sky.
That is a very good point! (Pun intended)

I use a 10/0 weighted alligator treble hook... I cut one barb off and bend the other two to 45 degrees. Works great.

I forget what I used...probably some coat hanger wire then bent it into shape and covered it with paracord sheath...or some small diameter accessory cord sheath, now that I look at it

upload_2017-10-19_19-57-25.png

any hook would work, but attaching it to a Doyles huntin'hoist (which is buried in my pack and only the business end protruding from a slit) is awesome for any rappel folks breaking down platform/stick/other stuff. I am able to use the doyle attachment for my bow on the climb, but during rappel I can use my hook to quickly lower stuff to the ground.
I lower and shake the hook off my platform and the Doyles retracts it right back up into my pack ready for me to reach back and grab it to lower my stick
Pretty awesome combo

Last edited:
If you can find the GetsIt, it is worth buying. The wires do a great job at grabbing hats/gloves etc without snagging the fabric. The magnet works great, and the size/weight are right.
I wish they included an easy storage tube.

Back