• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2017 Deer Contest Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team 6 we are the only ones not on the board! I can't say much I've only made one hunt. Even a kestrel cant make 90 degrees and humid fun.

Missouri in two weeks!

Come on boys!

Team 1, I failed on this weekend trip.
Had to pass up a broken up 8 on Saturday (not wide enough for antler regs after the break, and would have counted as 7 for the contest)
Then, I passed a doe fawn this morning because momma was staying 20 yards outside of range and I just KNEW she would come in.
Adjusted this afternoon for the doe group from this morning, and they bypassed me again.

I be back at it either Friday or Saturday. The next dang deer in range is dead. In the words of @Scoutman .... “I don’t care if I have to wipe the milk off it’s lips before I shoot it” haha. Fawns eat better anyways. :)

Had to pass up a broken up 8 on Saturday (not wide enough for antler regs after the break, and would have counted as 7 for the contest)
Then, I passed a doe fawn this morning because momma was staying 20 yards outside of range and I just KNEW she would come in.
Adjusted this afternoon for the doe group from this morning, and they bypassed me again.

I be back at it either Friday or Saturday. The next dang deer in range is dead. In the words of @Scoutman .... “I don’t care if I have to wipe the milk off it’s lips before I shoot it” haha. Fawns eat better anyways. :)
Don't worry @IkemanTX I screwed up a monster 8 trying to get the kill on camera.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

And I haven't been out saddle hunting yet. Too warm for guido and Kestrel order still in the wind. I did splice up an amsteel bridge and stealth strip the ends of a sit drag and tried it out Sunday in a non hunting situation. Looks like I may get out this week with the sit drag if the kestrel does not come in.

There's still time team 1. Plus @hambone upped our score!

The wife just told me tonight that the freezer is empty. Her way of saying stop passing up on does. I'm trying to force myself to shoot the next decent buck that walks through and stop waiting for Mr big. Seasons Seasons still young but I'll probably have one on the ground soon.

Got up 415. Loaded up and departed. Arrive about 510 to hunting grounds.unbuckle the rzr and prepare to approach the area of the hunt. 540 ascend the hillside. Decided only go halfway andvwalk the rest. Put on my saddle and gaffs. Tie on a tampon to each bootlace bridge. Rub Evercalm on my heels grab my bow and begin the 600yd walk to my tree. Climb and get situated and wait for daylight. After eternity in the dark my eyes finally can begin collecting light and making out stuff. The rain drops crashing always sound like something walking through the woods. As im leaning into my rope relaxing in my saddle i begin to hear soft crunches followed by my eyes making out shapes. 4 does walked my exact path into my tree, the 2nd doe stairs up into the tree takes a step then proceeds. After about 20mins and more light i pick tge biggest doe and ease up and grab my bow. It wasnt til this point i begin to feel my heartrate climb. I calm myself and wait for her to present me a good shot. Seconds later i draw, settle the pin and release. My Ignitor nock told me all i needed to know from the tree. A great shot. Seconds later the crash. Mission accomplished. One of the smartest animals in the woods a big old doe!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Got up 415. Loaded up and departed. Arrive about 510 to hunting grounds.unbuckle the rzr and prepare to approach the area of the hunt. 540 ascend the hillside. Decided only go halfway andvwalk the rest. Put on my saddle and gaffs. Tie on a tampon to each bootlace bridge. Rub Evercalm on my heels grab my bow and begin the 600yd walk to my tree. Climb and get situated and wait for daylight. After eternity in the dark my eyes finally can begin collecting light and making out stuff. The rain drops crashing always sound like something walking through the woods. As im leaning into my rope relaxing in my saddle i begin to hear soft crunches followed by my eyes making out shapes. 4 does walked my exact path into my tree, the 2nd doe stairs up into the tree takes a step then proceeds. After about 20mins and more light i pick tge biggest doe and ease up and grab my bow. It wasnt til this point i begin to feel my heartrate climb. I calm myself and wait for her to present me a good shot. Seconds later i draw, settle the pin and release. My Ignitor nock told me all i needed to know from the tree. A great shot. Seconds later the crash. Mission accomplished. One of the smartest animals in the woods a big old doe!

So you put your spurs on 600 yards before you are at the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes yes i did didnt want to stop on my way there and with wet leaves i wasnt too noticable walking

:D

hqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back