• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

movement while up a tree

Turkish621

I picked up a kestral this summer and this was my first year with a saddle. i often sit with the tree in front of me where I think deer will come from. so I found myself gently swaying from side to side while I made my scans of the woods (too many deer show up where you don't expect them). I feel like I had a very slow pace, not sure if that movement is too much for deer. wondering what you all do to scan around while in a saddle.

I picked up a kestral this summer and this was my first year with a saddle. i often sit with the tree in front of me where I think deer will come from. so I found myself gently swaying from side to side while I made my scans of the woods (too many deer show up where you don't expect them). I feel like I had a very slow pace, not sure if that movement is too much for deer. wondering what you all do to scan around while in a saddle.

I’ve tried to set up where the travel will ‘hopefully’ come from my 1oclock towards my 10 o’clock, so I can draw back while somewhat being hidden by the tree and can get a 1/4 away shot right after they pass me. Or travel from my 10 o’clock towards my 6 o’clock for ease of shot and less motion. But so far they’ve come from every direction BUT where I planned ha. Had one come in on my 6 on my first sit in sit drag, luckily wiggled around and made the shot. Then I’ve had a few come in on my 1 and stay there a while, and leave in the same way ha. As a right handed shooter, I want to avoid 1 to 5. Just not comfortable enough in my tree ninja skills to try and go for that yet. If the set up is right and I can walk the tree for a shot, then that would be great, but sometimes I’m not in enough cover to dance around that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1 to 5 shots require you anticipate the deer’s most likely path. I want to ease so that my back is to the deer and I take the shot once they have passed. Just don’t go nuts looking for the deer. Trust that you guessed right.

I tend to move more in the saddle but seem to get busted less. Go figure.

You’re right on. I’m slowly moving a lot just like you said. My motto is spot them before they have the chance to spot me.

Amen! And I agree with Eric as well. I move around a bunch. Also, my neck and back feel better during and after saddle hunts than they ever did in a treestand. No sore tailbones and neck from twisting around to look over my shoulders....love it.

A saddle isn’t much different than other stand types in regards to movement: too much or at the wrong time will get you busted.

Most of my saddle stands are setup shoot to my 7-11 o’clock and only require me to pickup my bow to make those shots with minimal movement. Of course any other position requires additional movement but that’s a risk you have to determine is worth taking depending on your setup and how smart your deer are.

I generally tend to scan in all directions I think deer will be coming from, but try to avoid pivoting my entire body to scan for shots. Especially if it’s an area with heavy deer traffic. I have been busted looking over my shoulder multiple times lol...

With the saddle though you potentially have the benefit of:
-Wider field of vision
-Seeing them before they see you
-Some movement or parts of you hidden behind tree trunk

I move probably more than I should, at least that is what I think. Sure, movement can be extreme, but for me I think it is somewhat equal to effective camouflage while hunting whitetail - you can shoot them in jeans and a white t-shirt if the conditions are right. You have to set the conditions for your success.

I transition from leaning to sitting, I slowly sway from side to side as I scan the area I am hunting, and I adjust my tether length when needed. I actually like to move around up there in a tree because it is fun and would probably stop hunting altogether if I stopped being fun.

? Do deer see me and move on without my realization? Probably
? Do I often see deer without them seeing me? Absolutely; verified true
? Have I had deer actually walk closer to my tree to get a better look at me? Yup, once that I was aware of and she didn't spook after taking a peek.

I personally think that movement is predicated on your set up. If set up with enough effective cover you can get away with lots of movement. If hunting a tall tree where the nearest branch is 30' above your head you cannot get away with as much movement. Hunting close to a bedding area or a on a food source?

Some considerations for me include: prevailing wind and anticipated wind direction, location of deer and anticipated approach of deer, optimal shot set up, cover restrictions (bow limb interference), hot food sources, etc.

To me it seems that I usually pick the wrong tree, oriented with my back facing the actual wind direction, sitting on an old and expended food source, in an area void of deer. To counter this inevitability, I frantically SWING from side to side to find that one lone traveler looking for arrows...and I can't wait to get back out there!

...and then there are those dadgum squirrels to contend with. I move more because of squirrels than any other reason, yeah, it's the squirrels.

I move less in the saddle than I do in any stand I have ever had. I put the tree and the wind in my face. I can shoot 360 with a rifle without any problems.

Last edited:
I mostly have set up in pine trees. Most of the time I could probably tap dance up there without being seen. That is one thing I really like about the saddle. If your in a pine tree you don't have to completely remove limbs like you would for a hangon. You can usually pick the spot between them and just trim enough for shooting lanes.

First season saddler here...I used 3 weeks vacation and spent the first 2 hunting southern ohio and indiana. Saw lots of deer and jacked up my knee dragging one in indiana. When I returned to michigan with much less foliage in the trees I saw much fewer deer. I basically used the same "active scanning" technique of moving more than in a fixed stand since I have the tree as cover, but I should probably rethink this. My setup is usually to put my backside to where I expect lowest chance of deer to come into visual range.

One of the few disadvantages of the saddle is when deer come from behind you. Most of the time if I get pegged, that's what happened. In a traditional treestand, your back is protected by the tree. The way I try to get around this is to setup in trees that offer cover (multiple trunks, crotches, etc) to my rear. Obviously, you want to setup where the deer will come from your front. However, we all know that deer like to go off-script.

Concerning movement, I try to stay as still as possible, but I definitely move more in a saddle than a tree stand.

I feel you can get away with a little more movement than in a regular treestand. You have to move slow and the deer tend not to pick you off. I like to set up so they come in on my left side because I am right handed.

Amen! And I agree with Eric as well. I move around a bunch. Also, my neck and back feel better during and after saddle hunts than they ever did in a treestand. No sore tailbones and neck from twisting around to look over my shoulders....love it.
My butt falls asleep in my climber or my hang on. Never in my saddle.

This is one reason I use a platform - sorry but our trees are not 60 foot high allowing you to get 30+ feet up in a tree. Most of my set ups are 10-18 foot high and I don't care who you are trying to walk around a tree, especially after leaf drop, at that height will get you busted by mature animals on public land. As someone stated above, the only real advantage to hunting from a tree is to allow US to see THEM first. If we lose that advantage then the odds will tip heavily towards the deer.

This is one reason I use a platform - sorry but our trees are not 60 foot high allowing you to get 30+ feet up in a tree. Most of my set ups are 10-18 foot high and I don't care who you are trying to walk around a tree, especially after leaf drop, at that height will get you busted by mature animals on public land. As someone stated above, the only real advantage to hunting from a tree is to allow US to see THEM first. If we lose that advantage then the odds will tip heavily towards the deer.
I have Cranford steps because I just don't have enough control to move smoothly around the tree without something to put my feet on. And yeah I rarely am in a situation where I can go 30 ft up.

I will hunt low when I have to. Usually when I hunt low I have plenty of cover to move. I may have limited shooting lanes but plenty of time to get setup for them. It also depends on why I expect the deer to be there. If I am hunting a food source whether mast or food plots I try to setup as high and with as much cover as I can get away with. Mostly because deer can come from any direction and the chances of having to move with multiple deer around are much higher. When I’m hunting a trail on a pinch point or funnel I always expect to see as many deer but not at the same time. I will setup in less cover because there are enough trees and brush around to allow me to move for a shot as long as there aren’t multiple deer hanging out in the area. I do like the ease of smooth slow fluid motions in a saddle vs other stands. Hunting in a hang on or climber I get busted trying to look behind me. No matter how slow I try to turn my head around cutting my eyes that way I can’t see far enough. I will hear something else behind me and slowly turn my head. Finally I can’t stand it anymore and twist my torso around and get a good look. That’s usually when the woods explode and I see the wrong end of a whitetail. So far in the saddle I haven’t had that problem.

Back