• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2017 Deer Contest Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was still feeling like we were in it. I don't have a buck yet this year and gun season really just kicked in so I'm more motivated to gun hunt this year. Then @TNhunter goes and shoots a big one so now I really need a 25 pointer to even it up.... :openmouth:

Hang in there buddy it ain’t over until the fat lady sings on January 31st. You never know when that freak of nature may walk out in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was still feeling like we were in it. I don't have a buck yet this year and gun season really just kicked in so I'm more motivated to gun hunt this year. Then @TNhunter goes and shoots a big one so now I really need a 25 pointer to even it up.... :openmouth:

25 pointer in NJ. We'll both be hunting it! but team 1 probably needs multiple 25 pointers to get back in the game.

Yesterday was my last work day until Jan 2. I will be splitting my time between watching my son and hunting. I plan on being out this afternoon in my GW. Way better than working!

Alright Team 8 anybody got a 20 pointer they can go after. Love the competition. Makes hunting even more fun than it already it is.

Im trying ... I have till 12-30 ... Seeing lots of doe this year but not many buck and none within range. I have found ( on state land )two crab apple trees with the frozen crab apples still on the tree .. nice scrapes under them. Tomorrow will be in the teens but I will be there at sunrise !

I saw a ton of fresh new rubs today and a small buck out looking for love

Near the end of December and the first week or so of January, the bucks on my dad’s place start hitting food pretty regular.
I’m hoping to get a sit in then. There’s a 13 pointer, a 12, an 11, and an 8 in the general vicinity that would all be in the crosshairs.

I agree that the contest is not over. I am headed out this weekend for a Sunday morning hunt as we have family gatherings the rest of the weekend. I hope to get a 1x2 (3 pointer) on the ground to count as my doe. Either that or a 10 pointer my cousin saw the other day and upgrade my buck. To give you fair warning, these guys are sleepers, they are going to come in once everyone thinks the contest is over and fill the board with monsters!

@bowhunter15
@BassBoysLLP
@justsomedude
@ricky racer
@ADP2413

Not giving away strategies but just a kind heads up for team 8. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Team 8 has had their heads up all season thats how we got this far lol we saw the the deer and weren’t napping or posting lol. Just kidding love the competition, this site, and all you guys!!!

Went out with the Guidos, one muddy pro and lone wolf hand climber top for a platform. Up in a mountain. All trees were either brushy and too small or way too large. I couldn't get my hand climber top onto the smallest of the large trees. So I sat in the GW at ground level. Not a deer to be seen! This season is kicking my butt!

But, I'll be back out Friday.

Team 8 has had their heads up all season thats how we got this far lol we saw the the deer and weren’t napping or posting lol. Just kidding love the competition, this site, and all you guys!!!

Haha, I was so frustratingly close on several occasions. Had an 8 inside 45 yards for dang near 45 minutes one night with no shot, and within 60 yards the next night.

Spent two evenings and a morning watching a nice 10 chase a doe back and forth between 100-150 yards away.

And never did commit on the numerous does in range.
This might end up my 3rd year in a row eating tag soup. Well, if you don’t count a special doe season gun hunt season before last where me and one other guy put 6 does on the ground in 2 days.. antler restrictions have stopped at least one kill each year as well. It’s just hard for deer in our area to get an inside spread of 13” to be legal. No ag fields to make them fat.

Oh look team 1 is almost last place. I guess if your going to loose, loose big?
I'm struggling this season for sure. Still have some time, but these swamp deer have my number.

And what's really frustrating is our Fbook group for the military installation I hunt has a bunch of idiots, who have no clue what they're doing, killing and posting deer. It's embarrassing.

Typical post "went out after work right before dark in my uniform. Didn't have a stand so I walked a road 50 yards and saw a buck. Shot him and came home."

Meanwhile I'm killing myself getting away from the pressure only to see nothing. I give up.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

It’s always the dumb luck guys that frustrate me the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back