• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trad Bow rack

GCTerpfan

Staff member
SH Member
My 21 yr old son just moved out last weekend. This opened up a new room to move my office/bow room into. I’m in need of a new way to hang my stick bows on the wall. I currently have 8 or 9 bows and I see that number I increasing in the future.

I currently have them all hanging vertically on two wooden racks but it requires that I move the outside bows to get to the inside bows. I want to be able to grab any bow off the rack without moving others.

Anybody have any unique ideas for racks? Pictures, plans or links to pre built racks?

Basically just looking for some ideas.

My 21 yr old son just moved out last weekend. This opened up a new room to move my office/bow room into. I’m in need of a new way to hang my stick bows on the wall. I currently have 8 or 9 bows and I see that number I increasing in the future.

I currently have them all hanging vertically on two wooden racks but it requires that I move the outside bows to get to the inside bows. I want to be able to grab any bow off the rack without moving others.

Anybody have any unique ideas for racks? Pictures, plans or links to pre built racks?

Basically just looking for some ideas.
Don't be pulling the plug so quick. Whatcha gonna do when in six months he wants back in? :oops:

I saw this idea on Etsy and it looks easy enough to make. Looks to be two strips of leather with individual pieces that strap the bow to it. I’ve seen the same done with 2 boards and rows large dowels. It depends on what look you’re going for an how many bows you think you’ll go up to in each column. I think I would like the boards with dowels better simply because you don’t have to undo anything to take the bow down. The leather gives it a different character though. 2EBFD345-9F58-429F-9F91-11FDD08C4050.png5068673A-F704-452C-BB69-EACCED02DB95.pngBDF01065-3459-4FE8-BB28-8640A28DA1C9.png

I saw this idea on Etsy and it looks easy enough to make. Looks to be two strips of leather with individual pieces that strap the bow to it. I’ve seen the same done with 2 boards and rows large dowels. It depends on what look you’re going for an how many bows you think you’ll go up to in each column. I think I would like the boards with dowels better simply because you don’t have to undo anything to take the bow down. The leather gives it a different character though. View attachment 80384View attachment 80385View attachment 80386
I like this idea!

These are available from 3 Rivers. I made something similar for my shop. It sticks out a little farther and holds 8 or 10.

View attachment 80719
I really like that. My reloading/archery bench is in the basement; I'd bought some screw hooks to stick in the floor joists above me to hold my bows but this is far more elegant.

I saw this idea on Etsy and it looks easy enough to make. Looks to be two strips of leather with individual pieces that strap the bow to it. I’ve seen the same done with 2 boards and rows large dowels. It depends on what look you’re going for an how many bows you think you’ll go up to in each column. I think I would like the boards with dowels better simply because you don’t have to undo anything to take the bow down. The leather gives it a different character though. View attachment 80384View attachment 80385View attachment 80386
I have something like this in the back seat of my F150. Straps go around each head rest and hangs down the back seat. Holds 2 bows.

@gcr0003 what is this name of this Etsy seller? I’d like to understand how the retention loop hardware works.

Nice! I'm sure there's some guys here that can pick out what's what but if you're interested in playing seewhatigot I'm interested. No hurry, it's a long off season.

Nice! I'm sure there's some guys here that can pick out what's what but if you're interested in playing seewhatigot I'm interested. No hurry, it's a long off season.

left to right.

- Bear Grizzly that was my dads first bow. It’s over 50 yrs old. 44# @ 28”

-Hitman double carbon longbow. Traded @kbetts for it a few years ago. 60”, 60# @ 28”

-First bow my dad ever built when he spent a week with Mike Fedora Sr. in 1999 to learn to build bows. Actionwood riser, 60”, 48# @ 28”. Fedora design.

Next five were all built in the last few years by my dad.

-Desert camo Actionwood, 64”, I think it’s around 46# at my sons crazy long 32” draw. Built for my oldest son as a HS graduation present in 2020.

-Green camo Actionwood and Dymandwood riser, 60” 40# @ 28”. Built for my 13 yr old son.

-Burl Myrtle and walnut riser, walnut limbs. 62”, 48# @ 30”. I helped build this one.

-Bocote with Dymandwood riser with bocote and carbon limbs. 62”, 45# @ 30”.

-Dymandwood with bocote riser with bocote and carbon limbs. 62”, 53# @ 30”.

Hopefully not too far off-topic... what's the consensus on storing bows strung vs unstrung? I've got a couple of vintage bows and a couple of more modern ones.

Hopefully not too far off-topic... what's the consensus on storing bows strung vs unstrung? I've got a couple of vintage bows and a couple of more modern ones.

The bows in the pics above have been stored strung since they were built. The bear has been strung since the 70s and the third bow from the left has been strung since 1999. Both still scale at the weight listed on the bow.

Last edited:
Back