• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question for the matthews folks.

1977walleyeguy

I am looking for your opinion on the following: comparison on a new Matthews lift 33 vrs my current Matthews Chill R.
This is the first time since I bought my chill r that I have considered it was maybe time for a new bow.
What I am struggling with is “on paper by the specs” the Chill R is basically the same as the new Lift and “again by specs” lighter than the Lift.
About the only resonable argument i can make to myself is- the lift is probably quieter.

Does anyone have real world exp. with both and can offer thier opinon on the subject?
Yes, i would love to shoot a Lift and see in person, but locally there is not a LH version in 33 for me to try out.

Thanks!

I am looking for your opinion on the following: comparison on a new Matthews lift 33 vrs my current Matthews Chill R.
This is the first time since I bought my chill r that I have considered it was maybe time for a new bow.
What I am struggling with is “on paper by the specs” the Chill R is basically the same as the new Lift and “again by specs” lighter than the Lift.
About the only resonable argument i can make to myself is- the lift is probably quieter.

Does anyone have real world exp. with both and can offer thier opinon on the subject?
Yes, i would love to shoot a Lift and see in person, but locally there is not a LH version in 33 for me to try out.

Thanks!
I had a Chill R and it was a great bow. Fast and light. I have not shot nor do I own a lift but these are the features I am aware of with the newer model compared to the Chill R:

1. Longer riser with less reflex which adds to accuracy.
2. Integrate rest and bridge lock features for sights and stabilizers
3. Top Hats tuning system compared to the more cumbersome and frustrating washer~spacer shims
4. DL, DW and letoff adjustable (with just two mods the switch weights) which were not available to my knowledge for the Chill Series.
5. Wider limb spacing and thicker axles and bearings adds to efficiency and greater stability and durability.
6. Axles now on top of the limb ends instead of through the limbs. This makes a more efficient system as the tips of the limbs are all “working” storing energy and the overall limb length can now be reduced. Whenever the limb tips have less weight on them overall the more potential energy. Also, they energy is more readily transferred to the arrow instead of having to move a bigger bulkier limb tip.
6. Lift axles arguably more durable than holes through the limb tips.

Hey @1977walleyeguy did your Chill R stop killing deer last season?
Do you have problems with your groups?

If you want one go get one. Not gonna argue with that. But I'll just offer you some push back on it if your not sure. All those things @woodsdog2 said sound cool. But not needed if your current set up is still killing em. They are all just a spring. Some more efficient and different options. But the deer don't care.

I’m running a Mathews 7z extreme currently. I’ve shot every new Mathews bow since the creed came out. Owned a creed too. I liked the no cam. I have not personally liked any other bow until I shot the lift. The only reason I have not upgraded is because I don’t want to spend that much. The 7zX is still killing deer and I still shoot it great. I’ll probably eventually get a used lift one day.

The lift does seem like a good bow to upgrade to. Quite a bit of technology changes.

Whatever you do, hang on to your old bow. Keep it as backup.

Take your bow to the shop and shoot it side by side with the lift. You will know if it’s worth it.

Don't like the new Mathews. Should've kept my z3. I bought a Bowtech. Much better feel and way easier to tune myself.

I had a Chill R and it was a great bow. Fast and light. I have not shot nor do I own a lift but these are the features I am aware of with the newer model compared to the Chill R:

1. Longer riser with less reflex which adds to accuracy.
2. Integrate rest and bridge lock features for sights and stabilizers
3. Top Hats tuning system compared to the more cumbersome and frustrating washer~spacer shims
4. DL, DW and letoff adjustable (with just two mods the switch weights) which were not available to my knowledge for the Chill Series.
5. Wider limb spacing and thicker axles and bearings adds to efficiency and greater stability and durability.
6. Axles now on top of the limb ends instead of through the limbs. This makes a more efficient system as the tips of the limbs are all “working” storing energy and the overall limb length can now be reduced. Whenever the limb tips have less weight on them overall the more potential energy. Also, they energy is more readily transferred to the arrow instead of having to move a bigger bulkier limb tip.
6. Lift axles arguably more durable than holes through the limb tips.
@woodsdog2 - all great technology points, thank you for offering your paradim view.

Hey @1977walleyeguy did your Chill R stop killing deer last season?
Do you have problems with your groups?

If you want one go get one. Not gonna argue with that. But I'll just offer you some push back on it if your not sure. All those things @woodsdog2 said sound cool. But not needed if your current set up is still killing em. They are all just a spring. Some more efficient and different options. But the deer don't care.
@MattMan81 - LOL thats the number one issue , still harvesting deer just fine and no group issues.
Just an "itch" that popped up this year, current bow is pushing 10 yrs old and up until this year i had not been anything to "rival" the Chill R.
(just my opinion)
Thank you for your input!

I forgot to add that they went with a more aggressive cam this year too with the Lift. Rated IBO of 348 compared to the Rated IBO of the Chill R of 343. I’m not sure 5 fps is worth it but it is a performance increase.

I just watched something and I can't remember where.....guy brought out his Mathews Reezen vs his new phase 4, I think. Old bow was 5 fps faster and a half # lighter.

Personally I don't like all of the extra weight.

Im still using my Mathews Heli-M. Compact in the deer stand at 30" ata and bare bow only 3.5 lbs. Not sure what Id gain with a new bow like the lift.? I shoot deer at 15 to 25 yards. I am afraid to try the new Lift. Id probably check out the 33" and if I bought one Id keep my Heli M for a compact bow. But, I decided to buy a bow press (last chance ultimate) and learn how to work on my bow and do my on tweaks and stuff. That has been fun. I just changed my own strings.

I agree with @Camelclutch and bring your bow to the shop and shoot them side by side. I would also try all the flagship bows while you are there and see if any of them fit your style better than the Mathew’s. I know some are stuck on a brand, me included when I was a Hoyt fanboy but after trying them all I found that I liked my V3x better than the new Hoyt and switched.

Back