• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel knots vs. Splices

Dragsmack

After receiving my Kestrel, I started to think all of the figure 8 knots and large carabiners added alot of bulk. Have many of you switched to splices and smaller hardware? Where did it make the most sense, tether, bridge, linesman belt? Is everyone sticking to 11mm rope for all?

A lot of this is personal preference. I still use and prefer 11 mm lines. I'm moving more toward spliced connections.

Others have taken the leap to smaller, lower stength static lines. 10 mm, 9 mm, even 8mm. A lot of guys prefer Amsteel on their bridge. This cuts down a lot of bulk as well.

Many of us have revised carabiners to smaller and lighter. There is a limit. Too small and they become very difficult to use.

In other words, you have a lot of options. Some options are riskier than others. Stay in your comfort zone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back