• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

NC / MI Bowhunter...

Nick Aquilino

Greetings from North Carolina. Much to my wife's dismay, about 2 years ago my father in law who is a die hard Michigan bowhunter introduced me to bowhunting. I don't come from a hunting family but immediately was drawn to the skill and technique of bowhunting. I typically hunt his well developed 120+ acre deer camp up in the Lapeer County, MI. I harvested my first doe there this year. I have been getting curious about NC Public Game lands within striking distance of my home in Charlotte, NC - particularly after reading and learning about Eberhart's methods and success on public lands. This is what is brought me to the idea of saddle hunting; being able to be mobile, safe and flexible to hunt a variety of locations. I have an idea of the saddle and climbing method I'd like to use for this season; still trying to figure out the platform. This forum, the members and the podcasts have answered a ton of my questions so far but definitely looking forward to learning a bunch more. Thanks for all the info, cheers! Nick.

Welcome Nick. I live in Waxhaw and this season was my first in the saddle. Got a kestrel. Loving it

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Welcome, I'm north of you in Troutman. S.Mountain Gamelands aren't to far from you and the Yadkin River has a lot. IF you want hogs start at the fork of the S. Yadkin and Yadkin Rivers. Good Luck

Uwharrie National Forest is close to Charlotte, and it’s huge. Very low pressure during bow season!

I had been wondering about that. I have a lease in Virginia and it would take me the same amount of time to get to either one of those. I had a lease in Anson County for six years and the property sold at the beginning of last year‘s hunting season. I may have to try that out with a kayak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site. I'm in Hickory and have hunted Uwharrie off and on for over 40 years. Ignore the horse riders and atvs, the deer are so used to them they will wait on them to pass and then keep on their same path. There are a few big bucks on the main section, but I would suggest focusing on the smaller tracts with prime food on neighboring private land if you want a trophy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome, I'm north of you in Troutman. S.Mountain Gamelands aren't to far from you and the Yadkin River has a lot. IF you want hogs start at the fork of the S. Yadkin and Yadkin Rivers. Good Luck[/QUOTE

good morning Sam just wanted to give you a shout out. I know it's short notice what would you like to do some Urban bowhunting this weekend in Yadkinville North Carolina got permission to hunt a piece of property inside the city limits the 18th is the last day .....that being said knock the dust off of that bow and let's put a couple more backstraps in the freezer. let me know it ASAP

There are some good deer in Lapeer, get out as soon as the snow melts and do some spring scouting, it'll give you a big advantage come fall.

thanks for the welcome ..for the last several weeks I have really enjoyed reading a lot of the post and taking bits and pieces of information from different individuals on how to topic s and saddle hunting tactics.....my hunting buddy and great friend Sam T has been trying to get me to saddlehunt for several years....I'm still working out the Kinks but I truly think I'm going to love it because it fits my hunting Style perfectly ....being able to be mobile the saddle hunting style allows you so many different setup options that you can't do with conventional deer stands.....thanks again for the welcome have a great day hunt safe and hunt smart.....

Welcome, glad to have ya. And don’t y’all worry, I’ll keep working with him. But, after he watched red squirrel’s video of hand stand girl w recurve. Keeps hanging upside down and trying to shoot. LOL He’s a great guy to be around, y’all will really like having him here. Plus he’s killed bigger bucks than me.

There are some good deer In the mountain regions of virginia ...hillsville.va. This is one

Attachments

• 2012-10-20_11-03-32_492-1.jpg
    2012-10-20_11-03-32_492-1.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to the site... I'm in the Raleigh area now, grew up in Kalamazoo, MI family still up there and I get up there every couple years to hunt the family farms. Also new to saddle hunting, purchased a Kestrel and have been "playing" with it every chance I get, Love it...!

Back