• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beast stick mods. Anyone?

greg728

SH Member
I have a couple beast sticks but I want to turn one into a dedicated one stick. I was thinking of picking up the 12” raptor platform attachment and replace the top step with this to pair with my ROS but I would need to change the button on it to something more one stick friendly. Has anyone put a cam cleat or something similar to the dynaloc tab on a beast stick?

I’ve tried the tethrd one stick and like everything about it except for the bite. I was also considering just getting the ultimate one stick from EWO but I’m concerned it won’t bite as well as I’d like.

I would build a different stick for one sticking. Those beast standoffs really bite into the tree and are a bit of a challenge at times to pull up/dislodge to loosen/remove the attachment. I also would prefer a deeper standoff to make aider traversal easier/safer.

Yes the ewo standoffs bite great and offer some of the best stand off distances as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re saying the EWO inUltimately one stick bites great?
Yes & I run beast sticks so I know what you’re referring to. But similar to what @enkriss said one sticking while something is dug into the tree can be a pain, just need enough to be completely stable & not kick out. Just the nature of climbing up the aider between moves really sets the stick tight.

EWO one stick is as solid as a beast stick but doesn’t stick into the tree as hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both beast sticks and ewo one stick.

Both are fantastic. I've honestly never understood the "bite into the tree" terminology/test- there is never a real world application where you have to have your stick hold itself into the tree without a strap. That said both the beast sticks and the ewo one stick have standoffs with appropriately sharp/durable "teeth". They both hold very well and I've never had any issues with either kicking out or anything like that when cinched down on a tree. Both bite into the bark securely and hold their place well. I have a wire aider on the beast sticks and a 3 step aider on the one stick, will use both to help set the stick before transferring weight fully. I use daisy chains and a trucker hitch on my beast sticks and the stock amsteel cord/cam cleat on the one stick. I think you'd be happy with either.

I have both beast sticks and ewo one stick.

Both are fantastic. I've honestly never understood the "bite into the tree" terminology/test- there is never a real world application where you have to have your stick hold itself into the tree without a strap. That said both the beast sticks and the ewo one stick have standoffs with appropriately sharp/durable "teeth". They both hold very well and I've never had any issues with either kicking out or anything like that when cinched down on a tree. Both bite into the bark securely and hold their place well. I have a wire aider on the beast sticks and a 3 step aider on the one stick, will use both to help set the stick before transferring weight fully. I use daisy chains and a trucker hitch on my beast sticks and the stock amsteel cord/cam cleat on the one stick. I think you'd be happy with either.
I think the bite thing is more for my peace of mind but it depends on the situation. I used to run amsteel daisy chain as my tree attachment so the bite of the beast sticks was really nice in that scenario. With buckles I’m less worried about it.

How do you like the EWO? My biggest fear with it is the noise factor. How do you compare the noise and movement factor climbing between the two sticks? (One sticking with the EWO vs multiple beast sticks)

Yeah, I think the standoffs that really bite the tree have been helpful to me in 2 situations:
- reducing kickouts that can occur when using an attachment method that doesn’t snug the stick super tight like a daisy chain or rope mod.
- when you use a 1-stick as a platform and don’t want it to slide down and up and creak as you take weight on and off.

Haven’t used beast sticks but I have used EWO standoffs and they definitely helped with the two things above.

I think the bite thing is more for my peace of mind but it depends on the situation. I used to run amsteel daisy chain as my tree attachment so the bite of the beast sticks was really nice in that scenario. With buckles I’m less worried about it.

How do you like the EWO? My biggest fear with it is the noise factor. How do you compare the noise and movement factor climbing between the two sticks? (One sticking with the EWO vs multiple beast sticks)
You definitely move more one sticking, but noise comes down to practice/technique and stuff like do you use a knot/accessory corn on your tether vs a mechanical ascender. I didn't get my beast sticks out of my closet at all last season, I either one sticked or 2TC for all my hunts. I should probably sell the sticks.

I definitely felt there was more exertion & movement with climbing & dealing with pulling a rappel rope from the tree & packing it up. Thought noise was a wash….

EWO sticks aren’t any noisier than the Beast sticks. If you are committing to one sticking, that’s moot. The EWO advantage is stand-off distance.

The Beast stick advantage for multiple sticks is largely in-line stacking. And even then, it’s a big stack.

EWO sticks aren’t any noisier than the Beast sticks. If you are committing to one sticking, that’s moot. The EWO advantage is stand-off distance.

The Beast stick advantage for multiple sticks is largely in-line stacking. And even then, it’s a big stack.
Even with the cam cleat? I think the cam cleat in particular is my biggest concern with noise factor for the EWO. I’ve never used one but I’ve heard you can silence them.

Even with the cam cleat? I think the cam cleat in particular is my biggest concern with noise factor for the EWO. I’ve never used one but I’ve heard you can silence them.

Personally I‘m not worried about noise from a cam cleat, but using a cam cleat is a choice. You don’t have to use a cam cleat on either stick, or can configure either stick to use one. If cam noise worries you, just call EWO and tell them you want a one stick with a versa button. Probably save some money.

@enkriss was using a higher end cam cleat, Karver KJ3 maybe? Perhaps it was quieter compared to the harken. EWO has a half cam style cleat that was supposedly about silent, but I think it had some issues. no personal experience there, but it is on sale, search for EWO micro cam.

Back