• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Gear thread

My Wood saddle was $200 nib. Look I am all for folks making a good profit and having a successful business. My issue is that the pricing has gotten out of hand considering the majority of the stuff we are talking about is produced overseas at quarter to a third of what it cost to produce here. Never mind the fact that in most cases this new stuff doesnt improve upon existing gear, esp when it comes to field function.

481275F3-5597-4C2D-AB96-2F808330A4F7.jpeg

My Wood saddle was $200 nib. Look I am all for folks making a good profit and having a successful business. My issue is that the pricing has gotten out of hand considering the majority of the stuff we are talking about is produced overseas at quarter to a third of what it cost to produce here. Never mind the fact that in most cases this new stuff doesnt improve upon existing gear, esp when it comes to field function.

To be clear, I’m not saying the pricing is good, poor, fair, or otherwise. Or that the product is good, poor, fair, or otherwise. Just if you want to crap on pricing, look at comps and give a fair assessment. Or at least say why it doesn’t rate the price point, like… poor materials and manufacturing, functionality lacking, etc. This usually requires some actual experience of products.

FWIW, I’‘m not remotely interested in buying the subject item.

To be clear, I’m not saying the pricing is good, poor, fair, or otherwise. Or that the product is good, poor, fair, or otherwise. Just if you want to crap on pricing, look at comps and give a fair assessment. Or at least say why it doesn’t rate the price point, like… poor materials and manufacturing, functionality lacking, etc. This usually requires some actual experience of products.

FWIW, I’‘m not remotely interested in buying the subject item.
It's also OK to push back on pricing. Without experience. Sitka and timber ninja , for example, might have great stuff. It's priced like it'll find, shoot, track , gut and drag the deer for you. Waayyyy to rich for me. This has come up on the forum before, high costs being barriers to entry. And people flaunting thier wealth. I don't think these prices are sustainable, and if we want to support those companies we should push back on prices before they fail.

Long as I'm ranting. Then you have sky high prices to avg people while some of those same companies offer deep discounts to certain groups. It's their choice. I'm not saying anyone is or isn't deserving of discounted stuff. I am saying that the discount is deep enough that I feel like I'm the guy making up for said discount, and I'm not having it. Keep your over priced stuff

I was listening to the meat eater podcast with a guy from FHF and he said the issue is they want to be 100% American made and there is such a small amount of fabric that is made in the US that they have to have the prices they have. they said you can get "assembled in the USA" with Chinese materials or you can get "MADE IN THE USA". I'm assuming that the companies that are hovering around that same high price is striving for the same thing.
Kifaru for a long while has pretty well set the bar for American made, bomb proof gear. They also are really expensive. That said you could throw together pretty much the same fanny rig as the TN for $40-50 less and feel confident it will stand up to pretty much anything you throw at it. Will the TN stand up at the same level? I certainly dont know but I for sure am not willing to pay a $50 premium to find out. By the same token, I'm not buying a kifaru fanny pack either because for what a fanny pack does there are crap loads of options that will last plenty well for WAY less. Where high end gear is needed, I am 100% willing to pay for what I feel is the best for my application but every piece of gear doesnt fall into that category, at least for me.

It's also OK to push back on pricing. Without experience. Sitka and timber ninja , for example, might have great stuff. It's priced like it'll find, shoot, track , gut and drag the deer for you. Waayyyy to rich for me. This has come up on the forum before, high costs being barriers to entry. And people flaunting thier wealth. I don't think these prices are sustainable, and if we want to support those companies we should push back on prices before they fail

I’m sure the bellyaching here does’t help these companies get sales and stay salient, nor does it inform them that they are being pushed back on. Just vote with the wallet; or come to the table with some actual discussion points and context instead of the one offs like “way overpriced” “most expensive fanny pack ever” etc. With those companies livelihoods at stake as you put it, there’s a fair way to access and discuss pricing.

I’m sure the bellyaching here does’t help these companies get sales and stay salient, nor does it inform them that they are being pushed back on. Just vote with the wallet; or come to the table with some actual discussion points and context instead of the one offs like “way overpriced” “most expensive fanny pack ever” etc. With those companies livelihoods at stake as you put it, there’s a fair way to access and discuss pricing.
What does this TN fanny pack do that any other dump pouch won't do?

Edit.

Ya know here's another way to look at pricing and value. I'm a sentimental softie in a lot of ways. So I'm thinking to myself it's not even really the $300. I have a friend who's not doing well financially, and has a sewing machine. I should give them $300 to make me the same stupid thing as timber ninja, or dang close enough for this guy. I'd be way farther ahead even if it turned out janky as heck. It would be worth more to me, friend got help & I got what I needed.

Kinda asking the same lines, I bet Jerry could hook a fella up at a really good price and quality would undoubtedly be there.

Last edited:
About 10 years ago I decided I would have less gear, but buy the best gear I could afford, run it hard, know it well, and made in the USA if possible…make minor tweaks as necessary along the way, and focus on the task at hand which is hunting and not the gear buying addiction, and trust me I’m still an addict at times. I used to see this all the time with guys who showed up at camp with bags of gadgets and gizmos, yea my one knife costs $150 but it was made in the USA, I know it’s sharp and where it is, while they dig through pockets looking for half a dozen $30 China made pieces of crap knives that won’t hold an edge, or complain their feet hurt in $150 Chinese foot condom rubber boots that last a season and balk at the price of my $300 Lowas that last me several years, those are 2 common examples I see annually.

About 10 years ago I decided I would have less gear, but buy the best gear I could afford, run it hard, know it well, and made in the USA if possible…make minor tweaks as necessary along the way, and focus on the task at hand which is hunting and not the gear buying addiction, and trust me I’m still an addict at times. I used to see this all the time with guys who showed up at camp with bags of gadgets and gizmos, yea my one knife costs $150 but it was made in the USA, I know it’s sharp and where it is, while they dig through pockets looking for half a dozen $30 China made pieces of crap knives that won’t hold an edge, or complain their feet hurt in $150 Chinese foot condom rubber boots that last a season and balk at the price of my $300 Lowas that last me several years, those are 2 common examples I see annually.
I have been on a similar journey, piece by piece I am going as high end as possible within my budget and those items are lasting me longer and I spend less in the long run.

I have tried the whole "come to the table with actual discussion points" with growing number of platform/stand mfg's to try to share with them ways to add function and exactly zero have engaged. That gives the distinct impression, whether intended or not, that unless you are instafamous or on their payroll, you know nothing and have nothing to offer. Some of us are willing to try to help them make better gear because we want better gear to use. It's a 2 way street though and if they arent willing to listen, there's not much we can do about it.

It's a weird feeling once you are nearly certain that you have the best gear for you and how you hunt. It's like the goal has been reached, and I still want to buy something new :) Dang dopamine hit.....

It's a weird feeling once you are nearly certain that you have the best gear for you and how you hunt. It's like the goal has been reached, and I still want to buy something new :) Dang dopamine hit.....
I went from 10 totes full of useless stuff buried in the cellar to just a couple, people who are just starting out it’s financially not always an option and I get that, we were all there once, but man it’s a great feeling not to be wanting stuff all the time anymore, or digging through piles of gear.

I already had the FHF bino harness, which I was impressed with. So when they launched the new gear that all can work as individual pieces or all attach together to make 1 unit I gave it a try. Overall I am very impressed with the FHF gear

I already had the FHF bino harness, which I was impressed with. So when they launched the new gear that all can work as individual pieces or all attach together to make 1 unit I gave it a try. Overall I am very impressed with the FHF gear
I have the PRO-M harness and like it a lot. Someday, I want to upgrade to the forward operating harness and thinking about going with the chest rig for turkey and fishing.

I have the PRO-M harness and like it a lot. Someday, I want to upgrade to the forward operating harness and thinking about going with the chest rig for turkey and fishing.
It is all really well thought out. I added the waist belt, hydration pack, folding seat and a side pouch. It will not replace my turkey vest on all hunts but I will use it a lot this season. It is a nice set up for scouting missions too.

I been using the FHF chest and bino harnesses for last handful of years, had the stitching on bino harness fail from my knife handle rubbing on it, was completely my doing, reached out and they replaced it with out hesitation. The chest rig is perfect for eastern bowhunting imo.

SKRE has a pack system now with a preorder process that is supposed to start shipping in 90days. Two packs, Bino Harness, Thermacell holster, other pouches . Regularly $750 but with a couple of different options you can get the whole system for $585 and change. All I have to say is everyone is doing packs now there has to be bouco bucks in packs!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5900.jpeg
    IMG_5900.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
SKRE has a pack system now with a preorder process that is supposed to start shipping in 90days. Two packs, Bino Harness, Thermacell holster, other pouches . Regularly $750 but with a couple of different options you can get the whole system for $585 and change. All I have to say is everyone is doing packs now there has to be bouco bucks in packs!!!
Also where else can you go after you’re already making saddles, stands and sticks, etc.

Seems like they are trying to shill inventory.

HaHaHa! I always wanted to know how to spell bouco! Thanks @woodsdog2

Back