• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LWCG .5 noise

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Because of a major issue with my ankle, it looks like I will need to go hybrid. I've got to be able to sit in a seat more than hang in a saddle.
So I bit the bullet and bought a LWCG .5
Buy once, cry once right?
But I might still be crying because these things are noisy. It has a "ring" or resonation to it. I can tap on the platform and the sound transfers all the way up into the seat support. This thing actually amplifies any sort of "contact" noise.
Is there a cure for it? I assume hockey tape would help but I'm not crazy about wrapping tape over the entire thing.
Rubber dip? Not fond of that idea either.
Thoughts? Solutions?
Thanks in advance.

Bolts were creating a bunch of noise on mine(the threads themselves). I threw some teflon tape around bolts and one rubber bumper for the seat leveling bolt head and those actually silenced it pretty good.

I haven't had any problems with my .5 I did the cable's and all contact points with stealth strips.

The worst noise I get out of my .5 is canning it into the tree. Is there a way to eliminate the metal to wood screech?

What are you banging on the platform when hunting?
I'm not banging anything on it.
I'm talking about the platform and the seat frame having a resonance when anything rubs across it. Even the soft foam seat will create a sort of a vibration through the entire stand.
If I tap ever so lightly on the platform the sound travels throughout the base, up the post, and into the seat frame.
It's not a "dead" noise, it's almost like an amplified ring or vibration thru the entire unit.
Hard to describe but I definitely know what I hear.

Tom the only thing I wrapped on my .5 were the cables, with the stuff mentioned above ^^^ and I have zero noise, if I did it would go down the road fast as I have zero patience for stuff like that, I wonder if something is loose on your stand. Good luck, my ankle has more titanium in it than a custom rifle.

I'm not banging anything on it.
I'm talking about the platform and the seat frame having a resonance when anything rubs across it. Even the soft foam seat will create a sort of a vibration through the entire stand.
If I tap ever so lightly on the platform the sound travels throughout the base, up the post, and into the seat frame.
It's not a "dead" noise, it's almost like an amplified ring or vibration thru the entire unit.
Hard to describe but I definitely know what I hear.

Machined definatley has more resonance than cast, but I haven’t had any problems with noise from my .5 during hunting. If you can eliminate sources of contact prior to it being set, should be good to go so long as you don’t nock about it. But if you aren’t comfortable with where it’s at now, I’d move on. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Machined definatley has more resonance than cast, but I haven’t had any problems with noise from my .5 during hunting. If you can eliminate sources of contact prior to it being set, should be good to go so long as you don’t nock about it. But if you aren’t comfortable with where it’s at now, I’d move on. It is what it is.
Yeah, this is the 1st machined platform that I've owned and I realize that this is an inherent issue. All my steel stands are quieter and cast aluminum are quiter too.
I guess it's not a deal breaker but I wondered if there was a reasonable fix.
Haha, I was watching some Jim Hole vids and he's over the top with using hockey tape on everything. I assume tape would deaden the resonance but I'm not sure if I want to go that route.

......Good luck, my ankle has more titanium in it than a custom rifle.
Did you have an ankle replacement? That's what the orthopedic doc recommends for me. I don't have the time to be laid up for months during recovery.
It's taken my ankle almost 4 months, a few cortisone injections, prednisone, chiropractic, ice, brace, and tape wrap to get somewhat back to normal.

Did you have an ankle replacement? That's what the orthopedic doc recommends for me. I don't have the time to be laid up for months during recovery.
It's taken my ankle almost 4 months, a few cortisone injections, prednisone, chiropractic, ice, brace, and tape wrap to get somewhat back to normal.
I had a spiral compound fracture I believe it was called, my lower leg and ankle were basically destroyed from a logging accident, I have a few dozen screws, a couple rods, one bolt and a piece of wire down there, I had some of the hardware removed in a second surgery which helped a great deal with the pain, some of the hardware had actually bent from the pounding it takes from work, climbing trees with a pair of gaffs on and the head of a screw under your skin rubbing on the pads is zero fun… fusion surgery would be the next step for me and I’m not doing it unless the pain becomes unbearable, good stiff boots are an absolute must at this point, side hills are brutal, I use trekking poles for all my scouting or hiking and that seems to help. I use to laugh at people using trekking poles, now I can’t imagine going without them.

Back