• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fess up, who hasn't shot their bow since last season ended?

I tore a muscle in my arm last season. Pushed thru the season with it and then took a break until a few weeks ago to let it heal up. When I pulled the bow out I was a little weak but it is still as accurate as the day I hung it up so I decided I am taking it turkey hunting this spring. Been shooting it daily and the summer league I am in starts in two weeks. A group of us traditional guys at the club meet every Tuesday to walk the 3d course which will continue as the league starts until hunting season begins.

I usually don’t shoot all of February depending how the season went, was shooting regularly but it’s been about 2 weeks I’m waiting on my new string to come in and don’t want to shoot with the current string.

Almost guilty. I have gotten the compound out a couple times in the last few months and shot 3-15 or so arrows for a few min. It’s therapeutic for me so it does come out once in a while all year. Helps that it lives on a bow rack in the man cave almost front and center of everything else so I’m reminded of it often.

This thread makes no sense. I just don’t understand “no shooting my bow” thing. Is this a tiky toky dance , hand jive, challenge thing?
Shooting is a perishable skill...it's not that perishable though. I'm a crappy practice target shooter with pretty much anything. I just can't get into sniper mode with paper/blocks.

If I shoot guns off-season, it's just to verify zero.

I have actually shot both my bows in the last week or so. Mainly because I just started non crossbow archery for deer on black Friday this year lol .and I was bored. Might shoot again in a few months.

Shooting a bow is not a chore, I enjoy it so I do it. Often.
I’m the same. It’s how I relax. Most off days I shoot for an hour or so. In the summer I’m in a 3D league. Although, during spring and summer months fishing takes over and shooting is a little more infrequent.

Guilty also. Shot it once since last fall. Turkey hunting. Tom at 15 yds. He was walking thru a old fence coming straight on. He got to go bred more hens minus a few feathers and I got schooled. Should be practicing more. I know better.

No offense as this is not a shot over your bow, but I love shooting bows but I’ve never wanted to shoot a turkey with one. I just don’t think turkeys should be shot with a bow when there’s shotguns available.

No offense as this is not a shot over your bow, but I love shooting bows but I’ve never wanted to shoot a turkey with one. I just don’t think turkeys should be shot with a bow when there’s shotguns available.
That's funny. Because I've never wanted to shoot a turkey with a shotgun. I've only hunted turkeys with a bow

None taken. To each their own. I enjoy the challenge with a bow. When I switch to shotgun and kill one, it's like cheating. I feel a little guilty. The feeling doesn't last long.

I shot mine pretty regularly after the season in January, then missed a month or so. Started working on paper tuning after I bought a bunch of new arrows, then got distracted by fishing again. Haven't actually released an arrow in probably six to eight weeks.

But I have picked it up almost every day. It's right here in the office beside me. Every weekday while waiting on my work computer to run a report or whatever, I draw and let down nine times, and then draw and hold it as long as I comfortably can. (but not as long as I possibly can)

I usually take a short break after season closes for maybe 30-45 days then it's right back to shooting. Not a lot early on but try to get 12-15 shots in most days that it isnt raining.

I enjoy shooting, it’s a wind down activity for me and I like to shoot several times a week after work and before dinner. I shoot traditional bows almost exclusively and they bring me more pleasure than a compound.

A compound is fun to shoot for about 10 shots and then it loses its luster (at least with what I have the capability to shoot in my backyard). Out to 50 yards you put the pin where you want the arrow to go and it does. So, a 3D target up to 30 yds with a traditional bow is endless entertainment for me. If I had a short 3D course and some long distances I do believe the compound would be as fun in its own right.

There is something simple about grabbing the bow that’s by the door and immediately get to shooting. It’s not that different from a compound but it feels easier to just go out and do. I think this is partially because of the quicker draw and release cycles among other things like weight etc.

If keeping up your archery level feels like a chore I.e. just the means by which you harvest game, then I would take up rifle hunting and not fool with the bow. If shooting your compound has begun to feel that way, then it is time for you to begin you traditional archery journey.

Not even once. I did see it the other day! I thought to myself "I should probably shoot that" Sad to say it's still on the shelf and probably will be there till August.

Had em both out for a short bit this weekend. Felt good, should do it more.

For me it's not the shooting that's the chore, it's the putting everything in my truck, driving to the local range, setting up a target, and then packing everything up afterward etc that's the chore. The shooting is fun. I don't have a very large yard but need to put the work into making a better shooting area/backstop at home so I can just walk outside to remove this part of the equation.

Back