• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Compound bow on a mountain bike

Jammintree

SH Member
How do you all carry your compound on a long mountain bike ride to your hunting location? I’ve been looking at various options and see pros and cons to all of them.

I have an over the shoulder bow sling that I use when riding my mountain bike to/from a hunting location. FWIW I use it walking too, another advantage to not having an exposed stand on your back is the bow doesn't bang off it when slung. I don't miss having to carry the bow in my hand during the cold weather months.

I have an over the shoulder bow sling that I use when riding my mountain bike to/from a hunting location. FWIW I use it walking too, another advantage to not having an exposed stand on your back is the bow doesn't bang off it when slung. I don't miss having to carry the bow in my hand during the cold weather months.

Excellent. Any advice on how to determine the ideal length?

The one pictured is 48 inches. For me its the perfect length, it hangs right at my elbow height so I can rest my arm on the bow riser while walking but its still long enough to easily slip over my head and shoulder. One other advantage of the sling is that I can slide it around so that it is sitting more on my back and less on my side if the situation calls for it (i.e. riding the bike or walking through thicker cover).

Vibrations and forces from being attached to a bike are not great for archery tackle. It has to be pretty precise to be effective, yet still be adjustable to dial in = doesn’t do well with anything other than sitting still. Foam lined cases even soft ones solve vibration, but add weight and bulk that don’t align with biking to your hunt.

Tried all kinds of ways. Always come back to shoulder sling.

I have tried a few ways, the handle bar mount scares me if I go down, the cams will take the brunt. I am going to use the bow spider mounted to my pack and some straps to help hold it in place on the back. See how that works this year.

I love this idea. But in practicality I’m not sure how well it’d actually function. It’s already hard enough to navigate the terrain on a pedal bike, keep sweat down and then stash the bike somewhere safe and out of sight.

I love this idea. But in practicality I’m not sure how well it’d actually function. It’s already hard enough to navigate the terrain on a pedal bike, keep sweat down and then stash the bike somewhere safe and out of sight.

I’ve had mine for a long time and I like it but every situation is different. Sometimes a trailer is a good solution, sometimes it isn’t.

I’ve had mine for a long time and I like it but every situation is different. Sometimes a trailer is a good solution, sometimes it isn’t.
I’m also really into the sling concept because it’s something I can DIY one evening with materials I’ve already got on hand.

I’m also really into the sling concept because it’s something I can DIY one evening with materials I’ve already got on hand.

Definitely do it that way and see if you like it. I’m a mountain biker already and use the trailer for other things like carrying tools for trail maintenance. A trailer, even a used one, is lot of money just to try something.

I always carried my bow with a modified backpack. Last couple of years I have been running the JX3 and that takes up my backspace so I opted for the Montana Scabbard for my bow. It has worked great and I have yet to have any issues. It is moving over to the new Ebike for this season.

I always carried my bow with a modified backpack. Last couple of years I have been running the JX3 and that takes up my backspace so I opted for the Montana Scabbard for my bow. It has worked great and I have yet to have any issues. It is moving over to the new Ebike for this season.
The Montana scabbard looks interesting. But I wonder about mud.

I don't carry any of my bows or rifles in handlebar mounts B.C. I don't like the vibration whether on my bike or four wheeler. It seems they take a beating on rough ground. On a quad I keep my rifle in the case strapped down on the rack. My bow always stays on a sling. I think it rides smoother than on the bars.

Picture of the bow slung more on back than at my side. This is how I carry it on my mountain bike. If it wasn't raining and cold outside I'd get a shot of me on the bike with it. :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 102188
I was just digging through my paracord stash and found a sling I made for carrying my climbing sticks. It may not be to spec but should great for proof of concept - as a prototype.

The Montana scabbard looks interesting. But I wonder about mud.
Mud is an issue at times but sand and snow are bigger problems for me. I keep my bow covered on the way out. I use large camo sheet ...... not actually a sheet but you get the idea ...... and simply wrap the bow in the material and put in the scabbard. Keeps most of the mud, snow and sand out. I did drill a couple extra drain holes in the bottom for better drainage.

Back