• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Video Editing

MCDM

Vendor Rep
So this season I am going to attempt to video everything and am just curious what you guys use for editing software? Any recommendations? Again I am just starting out and if it helps my equipment is listed below

Camera: Panasonic HC-V130
Computer/Laptop: HP G60 (Its my wife's laptop and its old but am going to take it to a shop to see if I can upgrade some of the components)

Right now my goals are just to be able to film my hunts and produce something nice but with some quality to either post on youtube or to have some memories for the future. I am on a budget and really have very limited knowledge regarding this subject. Down the road I do plan on upgrading however budgets and I guess baby stepping into this is where I am at. Any suggestions would help thank you!

My macbook came with imovie. Thats all I used. Plenty good enough for home video and youtube. I'm sure your HP has window moviemaker. Should do all you need to get started.

Windows Move Maker is free, easy to use and will do everything someone learning to edit will need.That's what I started out on and it will do all the basics you need. Once you're ready to buy software there are TONS of options and are all very dependent on the person using them. Professional editing software will also come with a fairly healthy learning curve.

Where you might struggle is with your laptop. Video editing is processor and memory intensive. If your laptop isn't strong enough to handle it, you could really be in for an annoying time.

Good luck!

Well I guess I can't argue with free :lol:. I figured that the processor speed and memory would be the limiting factor here. I might end up getting an external hard drive to actual store eveything with instead. I guess I will run the specs and see where I go from here. Thanks guys appreciate the help.

The external hard drive is a good idea for STORING the videos, but not for EDITING them...especially if your laptop is a little on the slow side.

What will work better is to edit the videos on your local hard drive. Then, once you're done, move everything to the external drive for storage.

Adding an external hard drive connection will tax your computer quite a bit more than working from the local hard drive.

g2outdoors said:
The external hard drive is a good idea for STORING the videos, but not for EDITING them...especially if your laptop is a little on the slow side.

What will work better is to edit the videos on your local hard drive. Then, once you're done, move everything to the external drive for storage.

Adding an external hard drive connection will tax your computer quite a bit more than working from the local hard drive.

Thanks for the tips! I will probably figure out all the specs tomorrow if it will work with the laptop. I guess I will see then what options I will have but it should definetly help having an external storage drive for at least on the storage.

Lightworks is a very capable software that can do everything I need it for. There's a free version available. The software is way more capable than I am, but I figure that as I continue to learn, it will be a good tool

I agree with G2 you need a computer with a good processing chip and plenty of memory. I put a “gaming” chip in my desktop and have a 500 GB hard drive. I use adobe premiere to edit my vids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camtasia is intuitive and produces some good vids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back