• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Silent Approach Steps?

I want to support the company, but honestly they’re not very good. I had them flip up on me a lot due to the design. I had to flip them back with my foot so I could stand on them which wasn’t fun.

I want to support the company, but honestly they’re not very good. I had them flip up on me a lot due to the design. I had to flip them back with my foot so I could stand on them which wasn’t fun.

Climbing or platform?

I wonder why they made them that way. I noticed in one of the videos how easy the guy flipped it while on the tree. Seems like they would have built that out of the step.

I want to try some of these but I think I will stick to Ameristeps and I'm looking at building some Denotes steps

Climbing or platform?

I wonder why they made them that way. I noticed in one of the videos how easy the guy flipped it while on the tree. Seems like they would have built that out of the step.
I was referring to climbing. I haven't tried a ratchet strap on them, but with my boat buckle I couldn't get them tight enough to use as a platform. I won't use a ratchet strap so they won't work for me. I don't like the design.

Haven't there been some rumors that they're working on a new option/design to be used as a platform?

@Boudreaux do you have any more insight on these since the video you posted, which looks to have been from mid-December?

What is a Denote step

017f426b6231652d2a3bebccc49334f1.jpg
f97e1d06de95f71901ae3f4c1fd1ec47.jpg
4ca71d2b6a5fb2186e01f31cfcae69d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to get back to work on them again. I don't have a mill so I had to do it with a drill press, Dremel, and portaband. I really wanted to make something that guys could make on their own but they take a long time. I bought some new cutter bits to use in my Dremel to see if that will speed up the process. I have been extremely busy with work since saddlepalooza and have not had any time to work on them. I'm hoping on another 2 to 3 weeks I will be caught up with my extra Springtime work and we'll have some extra time to fool with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Denots I have a great idea...I think, you inspired.
To make these easier to make.
Hard to explain, but when I found some old bolt on steps last night I figured out how to strap them rather than bolt them.
If we made a vertical slot on the upper section and used a slide for the webbing.
It would be much easier to make.
Slide
https://www.mcmaster.com/#webbing-slides/=1c2nush

Denots I have a great idea...I think, you inspired.
To make these easier to make.
Hard to explain, but when I found some old bolt on steps last night I figured out how to strap them rather than bolt them.
If we made a vertical slot on the upper section and used a slide for the webbing.
It would be much easier to make.
Slide
https://www.mcmaster.com/#webbing-slides/=1c2nush

a49cc1b7e734a0baea245387a00652ab.jpg

I need to get back to work on them again. I don't have a mill so I had to do it with a drill press, Dremel, and portaband. I really wanted to make something that guys could make on their own but they take a long time. I bought some new cutter bits to use in my Dremel to see if that will speed up the process. I have been extremely busy with work since saddlepalooza and have not had any time to work on them. I'm hoping on another 2 to 3 weeks I will be caught up with my extra Springtime work and we'll have some extra time to fool with them.

I don't know if this will help you, but did you know they make a small router table for a dremel? It is limited but for the $27 bucks I have used it for a bunch of stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000302Y9/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know if this will help you, but did you know they make a small router table for a dremel? It is limited but for the $27 bucks I have used it for a bunch of stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000302Y9/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How much range of adjustment is there on the depth. I would have to make a lot of adjustments so it would take small amounts of material at a time, but may still be more precise than doing it by hand.

a49cc1b7e734a0baea245387a00652ab.jpg

I'm trying to see how these would attach to the step I'm going to look at it some more tomorrow when I'm not so tired. Do you have any of these slides already and if so could you take some different pictures of them? Possibly some pictures showing how you would attach them to the bolt on steps.

How much range of adjustment is there on the depth. I would have to make a lot of adjustments so it would take small amounts of material at a time, but may still be more precise than doing it by hand.

Its not easy. You really set it to a depth and then have at it. You'd have to change the depth manually. It worked well when I wanted to route a hole in an aluminum tube. It is not good enough to go through a 1/2 piece of aluminum. Maybe it won't work for you, but when you mentioned dremel I thought I'd mention it.

Its not easy. You really set it to a depth and then have at it. You'd have to change the depth manually. It worked well when I wanted to route a hole in an aluminum tube. It is not good enough to go through a 1/2 piece of aluminum. Maybe it won't work for you, but when you mentioned dremel I thought I'd mention it.
Thanks for the suggestion. They also make a drill press for the Dremel that you can put an XY table on( I think it may have to be modified some if I remember correctly). The biggest difference between this and a regular drill press is the Dremel can be sideloaded. The biggest problem is it is not very Stout. I'm going to see if I can find one of these in the store so I can take a better look at it. Even if the adjustment is manual if it can just go a little bit at a time it might be worth being able to make the hole a little straighter. The next problem to solve this how to get the material to clear the slot so it doesn't keep clogging the bits up.

I'm trying to see how these would attach to the step I'm going to look at it some more tomorrow when I'm not so tired. Do you have any of these slides already and if so could you take some different pictures of them? Possibly some pictures showing how you would attach them to the bolt on steps.

I get what he's talking about. The slide doesn't attach to the step. It's held there by strap pressure.

Like these (attached). Webbing end feeds in one side, over the middle, back out the other side. The tag ends both go through the slot in the step holding the slide on the front with the webbing through and out the back. Tighten the strap around the tree and the slides hold the steps on.

You'd have to make sure the slot edges don't have burrs and gradually cut through the webbing.
flat-metal-slide-group-5-9-12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back