• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pack modification for wild edge steps

DannyAttacksTheMountain

Has anyone done any type of configuration with their Wild Edge steps carrying pouch to attach it to a back pack?
Carrying that thing slung over my shoulder won’t be fun for the long hikes through steep terrain I hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to strap my sticks to my pack. I have 3 straps on the face of my pack. One at top, one in middle and one at bottom. I think the top 2 will hold the WE bag. That’s my plan anyway.

My current plan is to make a pack similar to what @FUSE did.
You can find it here: http://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/diy-frame-pack-and-xop-bracket-covers.5304/

So my thought is to have the WE stepps low in the pack with a Game Plan Gear Leach pack above them. Its a smaller pack that straps to the tree nice. This will also have plenty of room for heavy clothes during cold weather.

I can then ditch the frame a little ways from where I'm hunting and just throw the steps and small pack over my shoulder closer to the tree.

Oh, and I'm also planning on throwing together a pad for the WE bag strap. That thing is brutal on your shoulders with no pad.

I am planning on use an old military pack frame to haul in my stepps and clothes. I was just think and making a bottom for it out of 6061 aluminum. I plan on cutting it to fit in the two holes at the bottom of the frame then atratch either webbing or rope from the end on either side to the middle cross bar. The bottom is only going to stick out about 6 inches just enough for the stepps with bag to sit on. Then just bungee to hold it on.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 100
I am planning on use an old military pack frame to haul in my stepps and clothes. I was just think and making a bottom for it out of 6061 aluminum. I plan on cutting it to fit in the two holes at the bottom of the frame then atratch either webbing or rope from the end on either side to the middle cross bar. The bottom is only going to stick out about 6 inches just enough for the stepps with bag to sit on. Then just bungee to hold it on.

Sounds like it will work. I have a larger backpack with built in frame. If I were to fit the whole thing of steps into the back then I wouldn’t have much room for other gear. I just might fabricate something to hold them on via straps or something

3afdf20aeb4664240440ff0831c1e85d.jpg

Thought about getting something like this but then I wouldn’t have room for the rest of my gear

Sounds like it will work. I have a larger backpack with built in frame. If I were to fit the whole thing of steps into the back then I wouldn’t have much room for other gear. I just might fabricate something to hold them on via straps or something

I'm sure you could make it work. They are kind of a pain to pack in . I don't really like having anything hanging off my side for the hour or so it takes to walk in.

I'm sure you could make it work. They are kind of a pain to pack in . I don't really like having anything hanging off my side for the hour or so it takes to walk in.

You and me both brother! If WE just made some sort of snap on your pack system or something lol

Just lash the steps in there case to either the bottom or top of your pack. That way you are not taking up space in the Pack. If you are worried about them falling out of their bag while walking in put them in a dry bag and lash that to your pack. The dry bag can then be used for sweaty clothes, etc.

How could I? You guys are teaching me everything about saddle hunting

I am learning also. I like the ideas that everyone shares on this forum.

I have been thinking about the WE bag opening with the zipper sliding down. Now I am liking the ideas of snaps, cinch strap on the top of the bag and a zipper on the bottom.

You could probably figure out a way to either sew or lash the Molle shoulder straps and waist belt to the wild edge bag without the frame. But, again, that leaves you with no room for other gear. The frame is nice in that you can always add additional molle pouches to it.

I have been using my turkey vest (with the seat removed) as a pack for several years now. It has all the pockets I need to separate and organize my gear and I can just wrap it around the trunk of the tree when its hanging which keeps it mostly out of the way. One thing I've found is that the game bag on the back is a perfect fit for my 10 pack of stepps and my rappel rope.20180320_204012.jpg
20180320_203251.jpg

3afdf20aeb4664240440ff0831c1e85d.jpg

Thought about getting something like this but then I wouldn’t have room for the rest of my gear

How much more do you want to carry? I have this pack and have come to absolutely love it. Mine doesn’t even have the belt pouches. I believe it’s the Cabela’s scout elite or something similar. I will give you a rundown of what I carry in it on most hunts.

Internal pockets (2)
It’s hydration capable but i usually have two water bottles-one on each side
Knee pads
Extra hats/gloves/face mask/layers
Food
Binoculars

Outer “pocket”
I have been using muddy pros with 3 step aiders. They fit in sideways and carry tight to your back. The two vertical straps secure the sticks great.

Top center smaller pocket
License papers in plastic bag
head lamp
Led pen light
Batteries
Compass
Extra release

Bottom center pocket
Rangefinder
Can call
Grunt tube

If it’s late season I carry my layers lashed to the outside with the two cross straps.

Now, I’m not saying this is for everyone, or that it will fit everything you could may want to carry, but I don’t film and I like how small the pack is because it keeps me from carrying unneeded gear. Some guys packing a platform and sticks/steps may need the something larger, I use Amerasteps, but if your looking to go light while still being able to carry some gear this is my preferred pack. I thought I wanted something bigger and found out I didn’t like how the weight of the sticks stood out away from your body. This pack doesn’t have much bulk and carries the sticks very close to your back. It’s great for ducking branches, brush or other obstacles and it has waterproof zippers and is very quiet.

I believe j3hunt has one for sale in the classifieds.

I have been using my turkey vest (with the seat removed) as a pack for several years now. It has all the pockets I need to separate and organize my gear and I can just wrap it around the trunk of the tree when its hanging which keeps it mostly out of the way. One thing I've found is that the game bag on the back is a perfect fit for my 10 pack of stepps and my rappel rope.View attachment 4260
View attachment 4261

I like it! What do you do to carry extra jacket later in the season?

How much more do you want to carry? I have this pack and have come to absolutely love it. Mine doesn’t even have the belt pouches. I believe it’s the Cabela’s scout elite or something similar. I will give you a rundown of what I carry in it on most hunts.

Internal pockets (2)
It’s hydration capable but i usually have two water bottles-one on each side
Knee pads
Extra hats/gloves/face mask/layers
Food
Binoculars

Outer “pocket”
I have been using muddy pros with 3 step aiders. They fit in sideways and carry tight to your back. The two vertical straps secure the sticks great.

Top center smaller pocket
License papers in plastic bag
head lamp
Led pen light
Batteries
Compass
Extra release

Bottom center pocket
Rangefinder
Can call
Grunt tube

If it’s late season I carry my layers lashed to the outside with the two cross straps.

Now, I’m not saying this is for everyone, or that it will fit everything you could may want to carry, but I don’t film and I like how small the pack is because it keeps me from carrying unneeded gear. Some guys packing a platform and sticks/steps may need the something larger, I use Amerasteps, but if your looking to go light while still being able to carry some gear this is my preferred pack. I thought I wanted something bigger and found out I didn’t like how the weight of the sticks stood out away from your body. This pack doesn’t have much bulk and carries the sticks very close to your back. It’s great for ducking branches, brush or other obstacles and it has waterproof zippers and is very quiet.

I believe j3hunt has one for sale in the classifieds.

I like it man. Thank you for sharing this. I was concerned with being able to carry what is needed for an all day hunt which is pretty much the items you have listed. My main concern would be my extra beanie, gloves, and jacket. Later in the season I use a “Firstlite Sanctuary” jacket which is kinda bulky and takes up a lot of room in a pack. I suppose rolling it right and cinching it before strapping it to the outside would poss do the trick. I’ll look more into this pack. Thanks man

Back