• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What video camera?

Autumnrider

I would like the camera
Small
Light
Good video

I'm no pro hunter, I just wanna share video with you guys, family and friends.

What do you recommend?

I picked up the Panasonic HC-w570 for $300. So far I'm really impressed with it, especially at this price point. It has a secondary camera that can get your release and reaction while filming the shot. Check out these short examples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tested this in low light yet? I find that this is always the kicker with some of these cameras. Just curious how well it will perform say an hour before sunrise and an hour after sunset.
I don't think any camera is going to be recording your hunt an hour before sunrise or an hour after sunset!!! lol.

I am very impressed with this little camera so far. The image quality and the zoom are really good, way better than anything I've tried to film with before. I have done a little bit of testing in the evening but not a ton. I think it will have the usual light limitations but be acceptable. I will report back when I have a chance to test it more.

Cool thanks i figured an hr was a stretch lol!! Are season allows the half hour before and after. I have a canon which works way better than what i was using previously. It just seems the video looks a little grainy especially when trying to pan.

I filmed a few shots just after 8pm, I would say it was dark by 8:45. I do think that if I did not zoom in so close it would be a bit better. Here is the short clip, I did this because Red asked for a low light sample before he purchased a camera. this is the panasonic 570 not the better camera that he decided to purchase, so I imagine his will camera will be better!

I have used the older version of the Sony Handycam (my model shoots in 5.3 megapixels). It does a really nice job with HD quality video. My version doesn't have an aux port to run an external mic. I since have switched to a nicer DLSR (Canon 80D) but i still use my Sony Handycam for B-roll.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Recordi...&qid=1501643541&sr=8-3&keywords=sony+handycam
They are fairly inexpensive. This whole video was shot using my older version of the Sony Handycam

Back