• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tools for rope splicing

IHI6FAN

Vendor Rep
Been looking at getting Fids for splicing rope an some amsteel projects. Anyone have recommendation on which to purchase.

You can splice amsteel with very minimal tools. I learned with a ball point pen and wire fishing leader. Fids, loop turners, and other tools just make it easier.

I made one out of a BIC pen. It probably wasn't the "best", but it definitely worked on my 8 climbing sticks.

I plan on splicing in a loop on my Sampson predator tree tether. Then I'm going to try an make a bridge for my saddles out of amsteal.

I did plenty between saddle stuff and hammock stuff. Started out with just some thin stainless wire. Recently bought the Samson fid kit. So much easier.
Never spliced anything other than amsteel. I got some predator rope coming in that I will give a try.

If you have any scrap aluminum arrow shafts laying around that have the taper down to a point on the nock end for a glue on nock, those work great for a fid. Strip the fletchings and get rid of the nock, run some smooth sand paper on it to make it slick, pick a length and cut it at a 45 degree angle. There ya have it, a fid. I haven’t done it yet so I don’t know what diameter of rope fits in one, it’ll be smaller rope is all I know without using one yet. Just wanted to share the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have any scrap aluminum arrow shafts laying around that have the taper down to a point on the nock end for a glue on nock, those work great for a fid. Strip the fletchings and get rid of the nock, run some smooth sand paper on it to make it slick, pick a length and cut it at a 45 degree angle. There ya have it, a fid. I haven’t done it yet so I don’t know what diameter of rope fits in one, it’ll be smaller rope is all I know without using one yet. Just wanted to share the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did just that last night. I made my 1st Amsteel slice. 1/4" rope and used piece of 1816 xx75. I did the taper 1st so it would fit into the arrow shaft fid. I did a locked brummel. Worked great.

I used an aluminum knitting needle that I cut a 45 on. It is hollow and can splice 1/4" amsteel no problem. Think I got the idea off G2. Got one free from mom-in-law and worked great!

Back