• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit drag, do you need an RC harness as well?

@BigAl my guess is that the SitDrag is going to be tough for you to get super comfortable. It seems like it fits smaller guys a bit better. If you keep at it, your hips will get used to it, but IMO, you might want to search for other options.

x2 on this. You and I are about the same size.
I've been tinkering with a sitdrag and get a very similar hip pinch as I get with the size 1 Kestrel.
Since there is no "size 2" sitdrag I think DIY may be the best route. Several really cool ones have been fab'd up lately.
I think a harness is necessary unless you are extremely confident with the strength rating of the materials.

x2 on this. You and I are about the same size.
I've been tinkering with a sitdrag and get a very similar hip pinch as I get with the size 1 Kestrel.
Since there is no "size 2" sitdrag I think DIY may be the best route. Several really cool ones have been fab'd up lately.
I think a harness is necessary unless you are extremely confident with the strength rating of the materials.
Yea, the sit drag just isn't big enough for my butt. That's why I never liked it.

As far as DIY, I'm not able to sew at all....no machine and hand sewing ain't my deal. Sit drag with my added bridge and maybe a ropeman will probably be most I'll trust my DIY. Did think about DaveT's fleece a little....no sowing involved.

there is a single stich seam connecting the ends of the webbing for a sitdrag, in the middle of the seat. I imagine this is where the sitdrag will fail and rip in a fall situation. Id be much more comfortable with it if it were overlapped and boxed or bar stiched.

I don't think theres really any reason not to incorporate a super light rc harness just for backup.

I'll will incorporate a rc harness also if I can get a comfort level with the drag that I think will be good enough to hunt. I'm just really getting started, got to experiment this spring to feel like purchasing a rc harness to hunt with.

there is a single stich seam connecting the ends of the webbing for a sitdrag, in the middle of the seat. I imagine this is where the sitdrag will fail and rip in a fall situation. Id be much more comfortable with it if it were overlapped and boxed or bar stiched.

I don't think theres really any reason not to incorporate a super light rc harness just for backup.

Yeah, it's definitely not designed for using above the ground. If you use it from an elevated position, do so at your own peril. Saddle Hunter beware!!!!

Leaning in the drag will probably be most likely be done most often but hope I can get some sitting in to make 4 to 5 hour sits reasonable. Are guys able to comfortably sit in a kestrel 50% or more? I'm over 50 yrs old and comfort matters quite a bit to me.

Leaning in the drag will probably be most likely be done most often but hope I can get some sitting in to make 4 to 5 hour sits reasonable. Are guys able to comfortably sit in a kestrel 50% or more? I'm over 50 yrs old and comfort matters quite a bit to me.
I sit a lot more than I lean, biggest thing in comfort for me is ability to change positions throughout the hunt. Plus adjustability of the backband was key for me. Way more support than perched in a stand, trying not to move at all......

I'm 6'4" 250lbs and I made the sit drag work for me.... it is not the most comfortable option but it is doable... I did one 11 hour sit last season with a sit drag and was fine....a shorter bridge and figuring out your tie will help a lot I also added a 2" foam tree stand pad on mine for the longer sits and it helped with comfort a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a piece of 5/8" tubular webbing and used a water knot to tie a cotinuous loop that was the same dimension as the sit drag. Then I collapsed the loops on the SD (much like G2 did), but I layed the webbing in before sewing it. Then I loosely stitched the webbing around the top edge of the SD.
The result is the SD now has a continuous loop of climbing rated tubular webbing integrated into it. I felt comfortable sitting in it last year without a RCH.

Yeah, it's definitely not designed for using above the ground. If you use it from an elevated position, do so at your own peril. Saddle Hunter beware!!!!
Well G2 .....I made a 30in bridge out of tubular webbing and set up my SD and tethered head high. Adjusted the SD to not pinch my hips.......much better! I'll play with my setup more but this is encouraging.

For those asking about adding padding for comfort I added a turkey seat pad to my sit drag. It was comfortable but still had hip pinch. I took the measurements of the sit drag and added a few inches on each side to a new sit drag that I made from scratch with one inch of foam between the two layers. I sewed seat belt material in a continuous loop through my new sit drag. The result of adding a few inches to cover the hips and incorporating an inch of stiff foam was night and day. I can sit all day in it if I need to. It is as comfortable as sitting in my summit climber stand. I did add an adjustable back brace also with one inch foam much like the kestrel back brace. The foam doesn't really add any weight to the sit drag. It only makes it bulkier. It still isn't as bulky as carrying a tree stand.

20FDE179-6DB5-4F8A-816C-4F59C958D65B.jpeg 82EB3E0E-2EA8-473B-8766-197715149297.jpeg C0DB06AE-EBFE-471D-8D80-8FEAC9224CFF.jpeg Has anyone tried a canyon harness? They are made for hanging off canyon walls, spelunking and caving.
theyre $49-149 or if you have a harness they have an add on seat. I’ve used while caving and setting routes on climbs. Sorry not sure if been discussed before.

Back