• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any tips for splicing amsteel ultra tech 9mm.

Cool! How far in does the sheath go?

The sheath actually get buried in the core then that get buried into the core and bury both those into the cover. I’ll try and relink the video I followed it to a T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure but this seems like what @Trademan4 did. I’ve never spliced but it includes the eye cover & he had to use a rubber mallet at the end to loosen fibers.

I don’t know how to post the whole video but here is a YouTube link.

(Premium ropes video 7.3.2)

This is the video I followed

Well I was able to splice it with burying the cover. Definitely difficult but not impossible. I know Samson recommends splicing the core and whipping the cover but I liked this design and seen this video on YouTube couldn’t find any difference between the rope they were using vs. ultra tech except different but similar core material. Also I was shooting for an 6jn eye and ended up with a 5in eye just a heads up.View attachment 4282

Looks great

Exactly what I want

Well I was able to splice it with burying the cover. Definitely difficult but not impossible. I know Samson recommends splicing the core and whipping the cover but I liked this design and seen this video on YouTube couldn’t find any difference between the rope they were using vs. ultra tech except different but similar core material. Also I was shooting for an 6jn eye and ended up with a 5in eye just a heads up.View attachment 4282

Super job, I have not tried yet but it is on my list to try.

Last edited:

Your splice looks really, really nice. I have some of the same rope I got for rappel, but ended up with a smaller rope.
I need to find another use for the 3/8". How are you using it?

Your splice looks really, really nice. I have some of the same rope I got for rappel, but ended up with a smaller rope.
The 3/8 is an awesome rope for a tether. I hang on it with a kong duck so I stay within specs.

I think I may take mine apart and do it that way. I didn't want to deviate from the factory recommend method but seems very similar. Essentially, it's just keeping the sheath on and it seems that it just buries it to hid the end.

The 3/8 is an awesome rope for a tether. I hang on it with a kong duck so I stay within specs.
Thx. I'll have to try the splice and will also need a duck. Maybe I can trade or sell a couple of Ropeman 1s to pay for it.
Are you still using it for a bridge as well?

Thx. I'll have to try the splice and will also need a duck. Maybe I can trade or sell a couple of Ropeman 1s to pay for it.
Are you still using it for a bridge as well?
No, I just use a fixed bridge.

I’m using it for my a lineman’s belt and a tether

I know what you mean about waiting to put gloves on after it's to late. Just be sure to practice better on being protected in other areas of you life .

I know what you mean about waiting to put gloves on after it's to late. Just be sure to practice better on being protected in other areas of you life .

Lmao! Words to live by. To late for me though lol.

I use a ropeman 1. But back it up with a prussic made with a hollow block for my tether. Not worried when it is backed up.
I have also used a ropeman 2 and a Kong and a CT roll and lock on my lineman’s belt. All three are good for 8 or 9 mm rope.
The 8 mm ultra tech is nice for a linemans belt used with those three ascenders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How you got that buried is beyond me. I just tried and it wasn't budging. Had to cut it out.
The sheath actually get buried in the core then that get buried into the core and bury both those into the cover. I’ll try and relink the video I followed it to a T

I still might try this. Some have said the duck is noisy, but I ordered one anyway so I can try the ultra tech as a tether.
@redsquirrel , I was wondering if you are still using ultra tech.for your bridge
I was. I just switched to the 9mm sterling htp because I think it is slightly smaller than the 9mm ultra tech. They are both good and I have a bunch of both so I may go back at some point too. The ultra tech is a great all around rope. I'm just always trying new things lol.

Back