• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

best scouting app ive found

I use the AR compass app.you can mark sites easy and takes you exactly to your set up every time!

I use scoutlook for iphone. works great. It even gives you weather and wind direction. You can mark points on your map and then sign in at home with your compter and all youer information is there. Checkit it out at w.scoutlookweather.comww

I use scoutlook for iphone. works great. It even gives you weather and wind direction. You can mark points on your map and then sign in at home with your compter and all youer information is there. Checkit it out at http://www.scoutlookweather.com

Been using HandyGPS for android, the paid version. Pretty straight forward. Works probably as good as a lot of others and I've gotten used to it. I do like that it takes pictures with the GPS coordinates imbedded in the photo. I find it easy to get the .gpx file out of it (phone/program) and extract the points and info into .xls, which helps to plot them on a topo map. Similarly, easy to push points into the phone as well.

Been using topo Maps.com app for a couple years. Price is up to $70 per year for pro access. Think I’m going back to Maps and compass.

free on the web
hillmap mark points
caltopo import gpx pts cleanup
google earth import gpx and create route

garmin base camp import route and gpx pts
export to gps
gps garmin 64S scout with boots on the ground (hitting all the gpx pts needed on the route with no unnecessary walking)

Have not seen anyone mention Back Country Navigator (bcnav). Have been using it for about 3 years. Works great for scouting/hunting. Very easy to use in conjunction with google earth, easily exporting/importing gpx files for tracks and waypoints.

They are beta testing the upgrade called bcnav XE. This will have a desktop web based version to use along with the app, similar to onX. I really lile onX, i would pay $30/yr for it, but its only one state. Wish they would do something like $30 for first state and $10 for each additional and then have a $100 elite unlimited or something.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've been toggling between my Garmin with Base Camp and ScoutLook. The Garmin tends to work everywhere but have found that when I get on the phone with SL it eats a lot of juice. I love the SL features but I'll use both and still carry map & compass for back up when I'm some place new.

Back