• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

how comfortable

lincolnt

SH Member
I been hunting hang ons for several years now. my question is how long does it take to get the hunting from a saddle down? Is all day hunts doable ?I'm needing another setup i was going to get another lone wolf or a saddle.

I took me about 10 sits to really feel like I had it down, but I am still perfecting my climbing methods every season. I did two full-day sits last year no problem especially with the back band, and it was way more comfortable then my Lone Wolf hang on.

For all day sits I think you have three comfort issues to deal with. foot comfort( platform is probably the best), Knee comfort( quality pads ), Hip pinch ( bridge length or add hip pads).

I been hunting hang ons for several years now. my question is how long does it take to get the hunting from a saddle down? Is all day hunts doable ?I'm needing another setup i was going to get another lone wolf or a saddle.
I sold 3 alpha ll's after getting my kestral, won't be back on a hang on don't think. So i look for different trees, a straight 1 works in a saddle, but a leaning tree u can sleep in

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think the honest answer depends way too much on your personal preferences, style, body type, and a whole lot more than anyone can answer for you. And this forum tends to be an echo chamber, certainly more likely to hear the pros than the cons. I've been practicing in the saddle but still hedging and don't think I'll totally abandon my treestands this season. Or as I see it now, my grande roomy spacious saddle platforms.

So I think the real answer to your post is think outside the box and come up with a solution that works for you. This whole saddle vs. treestand thing is bogus. It's not always an either/or. There are plenty of hybrid systems that function very well.

That said the cool part with saddle/sling style is you can go absolutely bare nuts minimalist and get 20 feet up a tree and slay a deer with nothing but some rope if that is your intent. But there is something to be said for packing a Iittle more for all day comfort.

This is not to knock on any particular fan favorites.
This is just me speaking and only me......
I started with the original Guidos Web aND i also hAve a Sit Drag......

The original web
1) super comfy
2) can carry just about everything you need in the web while in transport
3) has so many adjustments to help with comfort
4) not what I call heavy nor bulky
5) front fork helps with knee room but it's sometimes in the way while climbing
6) it's hot in early season
7) noisy buckles
8) I can hang upside down and not fall out.
9) you can lean or sit in stand while fully comfortable

These are the only two that I can share on.

Sit Drag
1) light
2) not much to it, easy to deal with. ...fits in your leg pocket of pants or in a small pack
3) after 25 - 30 minutes, it's not comfortable
4) leaner's stand, not saying that you can't sit in it but if I do, I am to close to tree and the S/D seems to have to much hip squeeze

Obviously, there are pros and cons of every hunting system out there. @elk yinzer makes a good point that most people on this site rave about the pros of saddle hunting vs the cons. However, I don't think that happens because we're dishonest or brainwashed (not that you said that Elk Yinzer).

Keep in mind most of us have been hunting with, and perfecting this system for many years. Most of us have worked out the kinks to the point where there aren't any real cons to us any longer. I know I've spent countless hours and untold amounts of money working through every little detail to get my system perfect for me.

Sure there are times when a traditional tree stand could be a better choice. It's always been my position that I'd rather do an all day sit in a climber. You can do all day sits in a saddle for sure. IMO a big comfy climber is a better choice for that particular scenario. But they're a tons of guys here that do all day sits regularly with a saddle.

The real difference is the effort it takes to get in saddle shape vs treestand shape. Treestands are kind of plug and play, especially ladder stands. However, saddle hunting requires practice and a willingness to learn. But to me, that's half the fun of it anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Obviously, there are pros and cons of every hunting system out there. @elk yinzer makes a good point that most people on this site rave about the pros of saddle hunting vs the cons. However, I don't think that happens because we're dishonest or brainwashed (not that you said that Elk Yinzer).

Keep in mind most of us have been hunting with, and perfecting this system for many years. Most of us have worked out the kinks to the point where there aren't any real cons to us any longer. I know I've spent countless hours and untold amounts of money working through every little detail to get my system perfect for me.

Sure there are times when a traditional tree stand could be a better choice. It's always been my position that I'd rather do an all day sit in a climber. You can do all day sits in a saddle for sure. IMO a big comfy climber is a better choice for that particular scenario. But they're a tons of guys here that do all day sits regularly with a saddle.

The real difference is the effort it takes to get in saddle shape vs treestand shape. Treestands are kind of plug and play, especially ladder stands. However, saddle hunting requires practice and a willingness to learn. But to me, that's half the fun of it anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

What G2 said.

I think the honest answer depends way too much on your personal preferences, style, body type, and a whole lot more than anyone can answer for you. And this forum tends to be an echo chamber, certainly more likely to hear the pros than the cons. I've been practicing in the saddle but still hedging and don't think I'll totally abandon my treestands this season. Or as I see it now, my grande roomy spacious saddle platforms.

So I think the real answer to your post is think outside the box and come up with a solution that works for you. This whole saddle vs. treestand thing is bogus. It's not always an either/or. There are plenty of hybrid systems that function very well.
How many times have you hunted out of a saddle?

Welcome to the site!

There is a learning curve to saddle hunting, but it won't take you long to get it down. You will forever be tweaking your system, but if you dedicate some time to practice before the season you can have your system dialed in and be hunting with it very efficiently. All day hunts are very doable and I do them all the time. Before having my child I would do 10-15 of them a year. Daddy duties have changed that for now.

For anyone who says that a conventional treestand is a better choice in certain situations, I completely disagree. While it may be a choice, I can not think of any situation where I would choose a treestand over a saddle. I do not see any advantages to a treestand.

I will edit that to say that the only time is if you want to wear a heater body suit. I have hunted down to 0 degrees using coveralls and a saddle, but if you are going to use a heater body suit that is the only situation I could see needing a treestand. For me, I use a layering system that allows me to continue using my saddle in cold temps.

This was my first year in a saddle and I can honestly say that I was completely comfortable on my very first sit. The biggest learning curve for me has been my climbing method as I spent my life hunting out of pre hung stands, climbers or from the ground. I had no experience using steps or sticks. The only sit I had in my saddle all year that was uncomfortable was when I wore a pair of pants that had pockets with snaps that fell under the saddle. I sat for about 5 hours that morning but had to adjust my saddle often to get rid of the hot spots the snaps were creating.

I hunted from one of my hang-ons one time after I got my saddle and I was so uncomfortable and felt so confined by not being able to see behind me compared to the saddle, that for the rest of the year I actually hung in my saddle next to my pre hung stands. I can honestly say that with a few exceptions like hunting out of a cedar, I can't think of any reason I would ever hunt out of a hang on again, and I have never sat in a hang on or climber that was as comfortable as the Kestrel. They may exist but none of the hang ons or climbers I have ever owned have been as comfortable.

I received my saddle at the beginning of the season and had enough sits this year to form an honest opinion, sometimes what appears to be an "echo chamber" is just a group of people expressing honest opinions about a superior product.

I’m just saying I see saddles/slings vs. treestands as more of a spectrum than a binary distinction. I don't mean to be abrasive or put anyone on the defensive but I’ve invested a heck of a lot of time and money tweaking my setup and found that for most of my hunts where going ultralight isn’t a concern of mine, I like a bigger platform than most, to the point I am running what I consider a hybrid system. Essentially I just removed the seat from my treestand with my saddle replacing the seat. I have a smaller platform for my hunts way in deep but it’s less comfortable. I’ll still bust out my Summit Climber for all day hunts when I can. Check back in another 5 years and some of that may change, I don't know. I’m just choosing the tools I find do the job the best. Do whatever floats your boat but that’s what I’ve found I like and feel comfortable in. I spend a few hundred hours every year in the trees and I am glad to have found the time and means to tweak my system to perfection.

I’m just saying I see saddles/slings vs. treestands as more of a spectrum than a binary distinction. I don't mean to be abrasive or put anyone on the defensive but I’ve invested a heck of a lot of time and money tweaking my setup and found that for most of my hunts where going ultralight isn’t a concern of mine, I like a bigger platform than most, to the point I am running what I consider a hybrid system. Essentially I just removed the seat from my treestand with my saddle replacing the seat. I have a smaller platform for my hunts way in deep but it’s less comfortable. I’ll still bust out my Summit Climber for all day hunts when I can. Check back in another 5 years and some of that may change, I don't know. I’m just choosing the tools I find do the job the best. Do whatever floats your boat but that’s what I’ve found I like and feel comfortable in. I spend a few hundred hours every year in the trees and I am glad to have found the time and means to tweak my system to perfection.
That's a smart position to take...use the tool that best fits the scenario.

What most of us long term saddle hunters have found is that 99.99% of the time, our saddles are the best :) :)

But that's not to say we all agree either. @redsquirrel wouldn't be caught dead in a treestand lol. I haven't hunted from one in over 5 years, but there are a couple of scenarios (multiple all day hunts in a row with only a short hike, or if I needed my HBS) which I would choose a climber. That's the only reason my 22lb API Grand slam hasn't found its way to Craigslist. But if I owned a Guidos Web, I think that would eliminate all reason to keep my climber.

Then again, I haven't encountered that scenario in the last five seasons.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

great thread and points guys. I'm new to saddle hunting and looking forward to it. The hang on stands I've had have been uncomfortable after a couple of hours so I basically stand most of the time. I figure I'll be doing a lot of leaning with some sitting thrown in. I've never used a real ladder stand or a climber since it isn't feasible to where I hunt. I have a Chippewa wedgelock since I liked the mobility and not leaving a stand in my spots. With my Kestrel I'm hoping this will take that to the next level and I don't see why not.

In my mind if you can get comfortable in a Portable hang on you can get comfortable in a sitdrag/ Kestrel or any other saddle let’s face it loc ons aren’t comfortable. Imho.
I do not think you can find another light weigh alternative that is as comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great thread and points guys. I'm new to saddle hunting and looking forward to it. The hang on stands I've had have been uncomfortable after a couple of hours so I basically stand most of the time. I figure I'll be doing a lot of leaning with some sitting thrown in. I've never used a real ladder stand or a climber since it isn't feasible to where I hunt. I have a Chippewa wedgelock since I liked the mobility and not leaving a stand in my spots. With my Kestrel I'm hoping this will take that to the next level and I don't see why not.
I still have a Chippewa. That's a pretty good system for a hang on.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Back