• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

locking cable

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
What are you guys using to lock up your trail cams? I've been using python locks for the past few years but I've broke the keys off in 2 of them in the past year so I'm looking for something better. Thanks!

What are you guys using to lock up your trail cams? I've been using python locks for the past few years but I've broke the keys off in 2 of them in the past year so I'm looking for something better. Thanks!
I use ‘security boxes’ with a python cable. It’s nice that you can get multiple python cables keyed the same. Looking forward to this thread to see if there are better options.

I have modified security boxes that I've riveted stronger hinges on. Then I padlock the cover closed ( I have lots of old padlocks from my unused hang on stands). I lag bolt the box to the tree. They may be able to rip the box off the tree but they're probably going to destroy the camera in the process.
index.php

Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm just looking specifically for cables. All of my trail cams are in bear boxes. The bears got a few before I smartened up. Thanks guys!

I am looking at picking up these from amazon. Someone has started stealing cameras from the surrounded farms ... soooo pisses me off.

99e7e107f91186b4a626a0158a065400.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did pig work I had about 60 cameras running at any given time. I used the Guardian Hunting cables, but they had some flaws to them that I had to improve on. I did a review of one on my YouTube, I think the designed has changed a little bit from the one I reviews. It all comes down to how many cams your are going to run? If you run 5-6 you can typically find python locks keyed alike, if you run more iy will suck because you will have so many keys to keep up with.

Thanks,
Boswell

I have modified security boxes that I've riveted stronger hinges on. Then I padlock the cover closed ( I have lots of old padlocks from my unused hang on stands). I lag bolt the box to the tree. They may be able to rip the box off the tree but they're probably going to destroy the camera in the process.
index.php
I like the box. I usually lag bolt mine to the tree and python cable it. I’m thinking of putting them 10-12 feet up and I’m not sure how I’m going to angle them and secure them. Guess I won’t be able to lag bolt one that is angled down.

I had two last year where someone beat the lock with a rock but the camera was fine. I thought being higher might stop mischief like that. Truth is, I don’t think anything could stop a battery operated grinder with a cut off wheel but that would take someone hiking with tools.

I like the box. I usually lag bolt mine to the tree and python cable it. I’m thinking of putting them 10-12 feet up and I’m not sure how I’m going to angle them and secure them. Guess I won’t be able to lag bolt one that is angled down.

I had two last year where someone beat the lock with a rock but the camera was fine. I thought being higher might stop mischief like that. Truth is, I don’t think anything could stop a battery operated grinder with a cut off wheel but that would take someone hiking with tools.

When I put them up higher I typically place a stick just above the upper lag bolt and tighten against it. That provides a shim to angle the camera downward.

Fact of the matter is that any locking device is only going to deter the marginally mischievous or opportunistic thief. Anyone with any serious intent will always find a way around it.

I did lock them with a python lock but someone cut the lock and took my camera. Now I put them up in the tree about 12 feet and no lock and so far no one has taken them . Nock on wood.

Why not just make your own cables? Buy as many keyed alike padlocks as you need.....

Most every cam I've ever seen has slots for cables that are about .375" or so, just big enough for a python cable. So I'm not seeing how a DIY option works...

Thankfully my python locks have not locked up or broken keys off, yet....

I did lock them with a python lock but someone cut the lock and took my camera. Now I put them up in the tree about 12 feet and no lock and so far no one has taken them . Nock on wood.
Yea, anything out there is able to be stolen. I just look at the lock as a deterrent. I'm lucky that I've only had bears steal my cams and not other hunters. To get my cameras that the key broke in I had to take a pair of bolt cutters out there. So if someone walked around with bolt cutters they could take my cameras easily! lol.

My first thought was to do something like this:

Thanks for posting ricky. I've done something similar to that in the past. Something I run into now that I'm using bear boxes on all my cams is like @sureshotscott said. The hole is small and I have to remove the cable from the box to easily get the camera out.

Thanks for posting ricky. I've done something similar to that in the past. Something I run into now that I'm using bear boxes on all my cams is like @sureshotscott said. The hole is small and I have to remove the cable from the box to easily get the camera out.
What about cutting a slot in the box or larger hole for the diy cable to for through.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I also use a python cable lock with a security box but I also use two muddy climbing sticks to get it up above everyone’s reach then angle it down by putting a stick behind it. Def pays off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t run tons of cams but the ones I do run are usually set up in a tree. Once I set them up 10 foot plus I noticed human traffic never saw them and more important I don’t have pics of deer looking directly at my cam anymore. If I’m forced to hang ground level I use the python and bear box.

Back