• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What are the common knots used?

Wolverinebuckman

I don't know squat about knots. As I'm reading through posts I'm seeing these knots that might as well be pig Latin, to me.
I have begun to learn a couple ...a water knot and a fisherman's knot, but I don't even know where those go!
Anyway, could you guys give me a list of useful knots to practice and learn, as well as where they would be put to use?
Thanks!
Chris

I’m no expert, but I like the figure eight knot for tying the loop ends of my ropes. I use this for my tether. If I didn’t have a fixed amsteel as my bridge I’d use it for my bridge loops as well. Compared to other knots it doesn’t reduce the strength of the rope as much. However if you’re using a 6000 lb static rope it doesn’t matter if you’re reducing the strength to 75 or 50, it’s still going to hold a grown man just fine. Probably just makes me better when I’m 20 feet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some of the knots I commonly use.

Stopper Knot: Used on the end of my tether to assure the friction hitch (in my case Ropeman 1 mechanical device) won’t slide off the end of the tether.

Double Fisherman’s Knot: As you mentioned. I use this for connecting two free ends of rope for making prussic loops.

Slip Knot: Once set up in the tree I place a slip knot under my friction hitch as added assurance it won’t slide. I secure the loop in the slip knot with a carabiner

Blake’s Hitch or Prussic: Common friction knots used to provide adjustable connection on the tether, bridge or lineman’s belt.

Figure 8: Used to form a loop attachment on the end of a rope. Can be tied “on a bight” for use with a carabiner or as a “follow through” to form a loop around another fixed loop.

As stated above, animatedknots.com is a great resource.

Last edited:
Awesome info, thanks it’s good to not have to guess. I watched a video yesterday about Scaffold Knots, and if you tie it wrong you it will fail. It kinda spooked me since I’m trying to get all this stuff figured out as a Newby!

Some good suggestions. I mostly tie figure 8 on a bights, stopper knots and prussiks. Take the time to learn a few knots very well and they will cover you for most of your situations.

This would be a great topic for a Saddle Hunting related YouTube video!! Maybe @g2outdoors can add “Frequently Used Knots for Saddle Hunters” to his list of great videos???
That's probably a good topic. I never tie knots though. My lineman belt and Tether have loops tied in that never change. I can't think of the last time I tied a knot for saddle hunting! Maybe when I made my ropes???

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Here are some of the knots I commonly use.

Stopper Knot: Used on the end of my tether to assure the friction hitch (in my case Ropeman 1 mechanical device) won’t slide off the end of the tether.

Double Fisherman’s Knot: As you mentioned. I use this for connecting two free ends of rope for making prussic loops.

Slip Knot: Once set up in the tree I place a slip knot under my friction hitch as added assurance it won’t slide. I secure the loop in the slip knot with a carabiner

Blake’s Hitch or Prussic: Common friction knots used to provide adjustable connection on the tether, bridge or lineman’s belt.

Figure 8: Used to form a loop attachment on the end of a rope. Can be tied “on a bight” for use with a carabiner or as a “follow through” to form a loop around another fixed loop.

As stated above, animatedknots.com is a great resource.
@boyne those are great knots. I’d add alpine butterfly for a midline loop, bowline for a loop on the end of a line (shouldn’t really be used for a life support knot unless you finish it with a Yosemite tie off), and anchor knot tor tieing your line onto a carabiner.

Back