• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2014 deer

Rccordrey

bazyduge.jpg
hapuzevu.jpg

Re: 2014 deer

Even if they don't stay on the same pattern, at least you know they are in the area!

A soon As I saw those pictures I thought to myself that looks like Sussex county. The box stand on the field edge gave it away. Those are some nice ones and it looks like you have late beans. You have history with them? They look to be easy over 4.5 or 5.5 yro. Giant front shoulders and belly and that neck is serious. No reason they shouldn't be sticking on that pattern until they shed velvet. Once that happens you might not see either one in daylight until the rut unless you know where they are bedded: whole different ball game. But you might not want to burn that bridge if its your property. That would be a one and done. I surely wouldn't be banging up the does with early crop damage with those guys around. Should be interesting for you and I hope it works out. If you get one I'll see it on somebodies cell phone in a day or 2. word gets around fast in Sussex. I'm only about 15- 20 minutes from you and probabley are acquainted with about 20 of the same people. I work for the Forest Service and have worked with the Cordreys quite a bit over the years. Glad to see another saddle hunter around. But you don't want those PA guys knowing we have deer like that around here :lol:

It's our property and yes I know exactly where they are bedding. I only bow-hunt so I'll take the first shot at them then my dad will have at them. I have pictures from last year. Only three of the 12 bucks coming out are older deer.

We don't practice crop damage. Allowing deer to be shot with gun in August is ridiculous and screws up good hunting properties.

I hate crop damage and agree 100% but the majority of farmers in Sussex think otherwise. Trust me I've had bucks patterned and and had guys out on the farm adjacent shooting does and done deal after that.
Looks like that buck put on that crazy browtine really cool. I saw a picture floating around a while back where you killed a giant. Is that the same one in your avatar?

Those are the ones. Nice bucks. Do some QDM and we'd have them all day long. good luck maybe I'll run into you . I work over At Redden so I wouldn't be suprised if we crossed paths.

It was actually in 2012 but things are on the upswing. That summer not knowing what was going to happen we put 8500 acres in quality buck only so it was going to eliminate my cooler full of 1.5 yro spikes, forks and 6 pointers that people decided to shoot and donate. So the 1.5 and 2.5 get a pass now with the antler restriction on the big tracts. It rubbed the out of staters and the weekend warriors the wrong way but they were the problem. So it forces them to work a little and if effort isn't your deal oh well. You get 4 doe tags and people refuse to use them. Crazy! But I think it actually helped out the buck doe ratio. It’s hard to see rut behavior when the bucks don't have to work for it. So it will better balance out the age classes and sex ratios and we should see some really nice ones in the future. The densities are still low but, there are always a few floating around but overall it should make a better experience for everyone. We conservatively lost about 65% of the herd I found 186 dead in 10 days. It was tough to swallow. Just some giants dead in the tax ditches still in velvet. B&C class deer, non-typicals, all kind of stuff that a deer hunters wet dreams are made of. But what sucked was loosing the 120'''s and such that were just getting prime. You were pissed about the big ones b/c you didn't have the chance put an arrow through it. I still see evidence of it but the chronic cases where the deer survived allowed it to spread immunity to the virus to the herd and we shouldn't have any issues for about 7-10 years if the conditions are present. All the dry summers we had from 07-12 is what helped spur the outbreak. We had a little hit in 07' but nothing like 12'

Back