• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2016 setups and pics thread

cobra_archer

Every year our setups evolve. What are you using for a tether, bridge, harness, rope material, with pics…?

I currently am using TL saddle, HSS tree rope, ropeman 1 backed up with a prussic.

I am also experimenting with a sitdrag with an alpine bod harness that is modified with webbing and water knots to use as lineman attachments. Currently the water knots are digging in to my side when the sitdrag is on and supporting my weight. Also, what is a lighter alternative for a linemans belt than a lone wolf stick strap with a climbing biner.

Attachments

• saddle2016.jpg
    saddle2016.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 363
I am going backwards, in a way, in that I am back to 5 Ameristep strap-ons as my platform + sticks for climbing.

I am still using the Aerohunter saddle and tether all the way to the ground like usual but have added the Petzl I'D as my link to the tether instead of a Blakes hitch. This mandated a much shorter (13") bridge but it seems to work great and I feel plenty confident in the set up. My NT Aerohunter saddle is dialed in pretty much perfectly and is just ridiculously comfortable for me.

A74F313F-8A16-412D-9861-B2885F425BAE_zpswwyu2ryk.jpg

On all but 2 of my hunts this year I've used my modified SitDrag with spurs and an assault platform. All 3 of these are new to me and they have pretty much changed my life.

My tether is 11mm assault line with a Ropeman 1 and petzl biner. My LB is 11mm assault line with a Ropeman 1 and 2 biners.

I made a new bow/gear Hanger this year and I'm loving it as well.

2323e556fa3a33a27dc4774723c8b901.jpg

e8bd1a822204bf981e74fac17b5a26f8.jpg

e894a71c2fad1ddc823f3b9622a02de9.jpg

Modded SitDrag
XOP platform
ClimbRight aluminum spurs with ultralight pads

That is the core of my system this year. Using the same Yale Bandit tether and Ropeman 1 I did last year

For rappelling down I am using 8mm rope with a Black Diamond ATC Sport

81d8ef5b0ff78af1568938f2217a98e2.jpg

b15038450a3536d969f79326c521b67c.jpg

589dda1c0580d84ea7f95bd55e4db72c.jpg

Rappel rig. I use a secondary, shorter bridge for the ATC with two spliced eyes. It just stays hooked up to the loops on the SD. When I need it, just hook the ATC and go. The reason I like the shorter 2nd bridge is so I can transfer my weight to that and then unhook my main bridge/tether before rapell.
6a28a903955902cc653703e3228e8f3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Modded SitDrag
XOP platform

That is the core of my system this year. Using the same Yale Bandit tether and Ropeman 1 I did last year

Rappel rig. I use a secondary, shorter bridge for the ATC with two spliced eyes. It just stays hooked up to the loops on the SD. When I need it, just hook the ATC and go. The reason I like the shorter 2nd bridge is so I can transfer my weight to that and then unhook my main bridge/tether before rapell.

Dude you might consider replacing the biner for your tie-in-point for a locker or adding a second in oposition. Also if your orient your gate away from the tree it's less likely to get bark or some other debris jammed in the gate which might hold it open just enough for your rope to pop through if you take a pendulum fall.

Other than that I like your setup. What are you using for your bridge?

Dude you might consider replacing the biner for your tie-in-point for a locker or adding a second in oposition. Also if your orient your gate away from the tree it's less likely to get bark or some other debris jammed in the gate which might hold it open just enough for your rope to pop through if you take a pendulum fall.

Other than that I like your setup. What are you using for your bridge?

Already done I only used the wire gate one time for that and decided I didn't like it for the reason you said. My main bridge is 1/4 Amsteel spliced directly to the SD. my second shorter bridge for rappel is an 8mm eye-eye but not sure on the length. I will have to look.

Already done I only used the wire gate one time for that and decided I didn't like it for the reason you said. My main bridge is 1/4 Amsteel spliced directly to the SD. my second shorter bridge for rappel is an 8mm eye-eye but not sure on the length. I will have to look.

Let me guess 24" :D

IMG_3776.JPG IMG_3772.JPG Well at the start of the season i was using the aerohunter setup, 4 ameristeps on a strap, 3 hawk helium sticks with 3 step aiders.

Currently I am using a modded sitdrag, lb and tether 11mm Ultratech line with ropeman 1's, bridge is 28" of 9mm ultratech with sewn eyes. Tomorrow will be the first hunt with an xop platform (not pictured).

Next year I believe for ease I will be jumping to spurs as sticks are becoming a pain!!!

Next year will be so much better for me.

I pretty much only hunt private land so I will be prepping/drilling holes for bolts this spring and doing quick climbs up with a LB and then rappel down :)

That idea comes up often...I think most who try it come back sweaty to tell us not to try it, LOL.

Some of us were toying with this a few years ago on AT. I tried it once and it's not "basically walking"
Its kind of sketchy so be careful.
Yeah. I know from the past trying to ascend using a lanyard and footloop system due to forgetting my throw bag how much it can suck. But I was wondering while driving home if a MUCH stiffer lanyard wouldn't make moving it up the tree a one handed operation.

Yeah. I know from the past trying to ascend using a lanyard and footloop system due to forgetting my throw bag how much it can suck. But I was wondering while driving home if a MUCH stiffer lanyard wouldn't make moving it up the tree a one handed operation.
sounds great in theory but the result would probably be heavier and more trouble than its worth around any tree other than a telephone pole....and then you ask yourself why not just a lonewolf hand-climber seat/saddle combo if I'm going to climb climber-trees.

sounds great in theory but the result would probably be heavier and more trouble than its worth around any tree other than a telephone pole....and then you ask yourself why not just a lonewolf hand-climber seat/saddle combo if I'm going to climb climber-trees.
Yeah. I tried it in on a larger tree this morning by basically putting a foot loop in the bottom of my lanyard to my harness and adding a second foot loop lanyard lower. No it wasn't very efficient. But it was a decent size tree. I didn't have any issues with my feet kicking out but maybe I have better balance who knows. The main issue I had was the rope was just too floppy. Yeah I would love to just run out and buy a hand climber seat but I've got other obligations more pressing at the moment so I just make due with what I have and what I can make for now.

Modded SitDrag
XOP platform

81d8ef5b0ff78af1568938f2217a98e2.jpg

b15038450a3536d969f79326c521b67c.jpg

589dda1c0580d84ea7f95bd55e4db72c.jpg

flingin.....is that a camera arm you have your seat pad hanging off of? looks pretty sturdy whatever it is...

Back