• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2018 goals

kelly.jayp

With 2017 season now done for me time to start the process for next season and offseason activities. Didn’t get to hunt a lot in 2017 but did get my son his best buck, got my kestrel system set up and took my first deer from it and changed leases in Dec. (upgrade!). Goals for 2018:
- Kill a pig at Saddlepalooza
- scout more effectively and prep trees for next season this spring (and buy a bunch of screw in steps...).
- get a couple food plots in
- set cameras and let them soak all season for intel for the following season instead of checking them during season
- harvest a buck, from the saddle, with my bow, on the new lease
- hunt with my kids using the saddle in an adjacent tree to a lock on for them
- find a property to hunt near where I live in NC
- plan an out of state hunt (excluding my lease in VA) - whether I get to go or not is a whole other question LOL
- NOT drop a gun 25 feet from a tree LOL

Let’s hear em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope this year is my year for 300+ bull elk in Colorado.
Get some good spots set up for deer hunting this year. The move from Ga to Tx, has affected the last 2 deer seasons for me.
Keep learning new things from the guys on here. Tends to get in your wallet here,lol.
Got a new journey beginning for my wife and I in 2018 career wise, should be interesting.

1. Scout
2. Scout
3. Scout some more
4. Prepare several trees on my property and public land for saddles
5. Habitat improvement's on my property (food plots, some hinge cutting)
6. Camp with the kids on more than just memerial and labor day weekends.

1. Become more comfortable with my saddle setup, tweaks/mods
2. Scout & prep trees in advance
3. Rut hunt with my Dad in Missouri (he retires this year, just looking forward to more hunting time)
4. Keep trying to get both of my kids on Spring Turkeys........
5. Fletch my own arrows

Talk less, listen more!
Learn how to properly hinge cut trees to improve my lease.
Start hunting public land.
Continue to learn how to properly identify deer sign and hunt a location based on the sign I do find.
Get my daughter more involved in outdoor activities, even if it's not hunting.
Harvest my first deer from the saddle.
Talk less, listen more!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Goals for this year are camp/hike more with the family, get in better physical shape for my first western hunt, kill my first mule deer on that hunt, scout my butt off and kill a good buck with a bow in WV and Ohio. The one I’m real excited about though is to help my son get his first deer with a bow, hopefully from a saddle!

Get anything to go right on my annual moose hunt!
Leafs with the cup.

Last edited:
  1. Spend lots of time scouting the 9 parcels of public land within a 2 hour drive from me.
  2. Get into better shape. I'm already down to 175 from 210 at the start of the season.
  3. Get to where I can setup my steps and saddle QUIETLY and possibly blindfolded.
  4. Kill the buck I jumped earlier this month duck hunting. He looked like a good'un.
  5. Prep trees on my lease.
  6. Get more familiar with the 2hp Evinrude I just mounted to my canoe.

scout and be confident in sign associated with bedding my mobility my equipment and most important myself

Getsaddle Ready
Learn to use equipment safely and efficiently.

Scout.

Set up a handful of presets.

Take my first deer from a saddle

Talk less, listen more!
Learn how to properly hinge cut trees to improve my lease.
Start hunting public land.
Continue to learn how to properly identify deer sign and hunt a location based on the sign I do find.
Get my daughter more involved in outdoor activities, even if it's not hunting.
Harvest my first deer from the saddle.
Talk less, listen more!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Talk less, listen more!

Simple yet profound brilliance.

96b6d9f564a516f60de405a1eb6ee7e2.jpg

One step towards my goal of getting trees preset

Back