• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A better bow hanger / holder

Gettin Closer

I have a piece of paracord with a small "S" clip that I use to hang my bow in the tree. The bottom clip is removed and the opening has been cut back to make it easier to get the bow on and off the hook. The problem is that I have to hang my bow at the 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock spot so that my knees do not hit is as it hangs with the bottom kicked back a bit. (I shot a long bow but same idea for compound shooters.) I do not like the fact that I now have to reach towards the front of the tree to get the bow with 5he arrow nocked and sticking out infron of the bow.

I remember shooting a compound out of a ground blind and having a mount similar to what you also see in treestands that looks like a tuning fork and you would slide your bottom limb between the prongs and the bow would lean forward and hold in place. When ready, your bow is in the proper position and you just have to grab it, lean it back a couple of inches and TADA! You are ready to go with minimal movement.

Why have we not done a mobile/public land friendly version of this? Here is a picture of a bracket but I am sure we can get tool hangers or similar and mount it with para cord or something. Just not sure how to make it compact so that it can fit in the pack but rigid enough that it does not lean/tilt and drop your bow. Any thoughts?

I will take any ideas or input. The more compact the better. I know the over center bucks work nice but light and quiet works too if there is a way to do it better!

Here are a couple of pictures. I am not saying we have to use these items but they are a visual reference.
73e876201506747aa2c14c2e64d061ab.jpg
2901ec4e9f4e24c8fc2811de965f3c6f.jpg

Look up the U-slide mini. I have been using mine for 3 years. I think they are an awesome saddle bowhanger.

Thanks,
Boswell

Well...the quietest and most compact is to hang it off a stopper knot at the top of your tether. Just need a few inches of extra tether. But I am shooting a recurve. You'll have to experiment with a compound to see if it is stable.

The downsides are that your bow is against the tree (I like that) and you can't hang up your bow to adjust your tether (I hang mine on my shoulder if I I have to do that).

The bow easily just lifts off of the knot.

Well...the quietest and most compact is to hang it off a stopper knot at the top of your tether. Just need a few inches of extra tether. But I am shooting a recurve. You'll have to experiment with a compound to see if it is stable.

The downsides are that your bow is against the tree (I like that) and you can't hang up your bow to adjust your tether (I hang mine on my shoulder if I I have to do that).

The bow easily just lifts off of the knot.
I am shooting a long bow so the stopper knot would work and so would a monkey fist on paracord... I am looking for something to hold the bow in the right position away from the tree just a bit so that it does not move in the wind and my arrows (bow mounted quiver) are not touching and making noise on the tree.

Look up the U-slide mini. I have been using mine for 3 years. I think they are an awesome saddle bowhanger.

Thanks,
Boswell
I like the simplicity of this but it screws into the tree and that is a no go on public land...

If you cut it in half and added a bracket w injth cordage might work though...

Last edited:
I shoot a recurve and also hang it from my tether. It works grea, I have no quiver though.

I am shooting a long bow so the stopper knot would work and so would a monkey fist on paracord... I am looking for something to hold the bow in the right position away from the tree just a bit so that it does not move in the wind and my arrows (bow mounted quiver) are not touching and making noise on the tree.
Bow quiver on a Longbow and having it still on the longbow in a tree is a liability without much payoff.
Your chances of a fast follow up shot with a longbow are minimal and you can get an arrow off of a backpack mounted or tree mounted quiver just as fast really.

Hanging a "real" Longbow from the knot, will put the bow a little low. I've hunted with 72" Longbows from the saddle.
I have put whip-tied paracord loops above the riser to hang bows.

Hanging against the tree, the bow won't move in the wind.

The real challenge is an arrow holder....
I'm using a Grayling on my Recurve. They aren't made any more, but I really like it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grayling-Pe...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've been working to come up with something that doesnt screw in and keeps the bow off the tree a little. This is just a cheap construction corner bracket and about 8-9 inches of aluminum tube. I didn't do a good job of getting the rope tight for the pic, so it is sagging a little. But you get the idea.
287cdf0240796b8108f3862fbefb50e3.jpg
d9911a49569404810fd59d30925ce728.jpg

Bow quiver on a Longbow and having it still on the longbow in a tree is a liability without much payoff.
Your chances of a fast follow up shot with a longbow are minimal and you can get an arrow off of a backpack mounted or tree mounted quiver just as fast really.

Hanging a "real" Longbow from the knot, will put the bow a little low. I've hunted with 72" Longbows from the saddle.
I have put whip-tied paracord loops above the riser to hang bows.

Hanging against the tree, the bow won't move in the wind.

I'm using a Grayling on my Recurve. They aren't made any more, but I really like it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grayling-Pe...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I like that arrow holder. I will have to look into one of those. I have tried the detachable quiver and catquivers but they just have not made me smile. My current quiver are made by eagle flight archery and are meant for the 2 blade broadhead but are 2 piece. It would not be convenient or effect to take it off the bow.

What's the benefit of the Grayling over something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saunders-Ar...019159&hash=item48a0641907:g:6wEAAOSwk~xZf66G

The one I linked it what I used when I used to shoot a recurve. I haven't picked my recurve up in years but, something about getting a saddle has made me start thinking about it again, and I haven't even hunted out of the saddle yet.

I've been working to come up with something that doesnt screw in and keeps the bow off the tree a little. This is just a cheap construction corner bracket and about 8-9 inches of aluminum tube. I didn't do a good job of getting the rope tight for the pic, so it is sagging a little. But you get the idea.
287cdf0240796b8108f3862fbefb50e3.jpg
d9911a49569404810fd59d30925ce728.jpg
This would get the bow off the tree! I am going to have to combine a few ideas and see if I can get a Frankenstein to work.

What's the benefit of the Grayling over something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saunders-Ar...019159&hash=item48a0641907:g:6wEAAOSwk~xZf66G

The one I linked it what I used when I used to shoot a recurve. I haven't picked my recurve up in years but, something about getting a saddle has made me start thinking about it again, and I haven't even hunted out of the saddle yet.
The Grayling isn’t as stiff. I tried the Saunders on a few bows that didn’t work well for me and don’t quite fit my bow

My thought was something like this but instead of screwing it into a tree, it could go into a hinged elbow. That way it would fold up flat and when ready to use and strapped to the tree, it would fold down to 90 degrees and hold the bow.

But maybe I am overthinking it and should use the long aluminum rod to get it away from the tree.
13ef23a1a8d1300c733279fd150a399f.jpg

The problem with the type of holder you want is the weight of the bow has to put torque on the holder for it to grip the bow. To make something like that work all the time you would probably need two straps or something heavy enough to counter the weight of the bow.

You could bolt something this to a small piece of metal or screw into wood with a cam strap sandwhiched inside.
wall-mount-2-utility-hooks-holder-storage-hanger-ladder-garage-home-tools-.jpg
More contact surface to the tree and hanging below the strap should be good

I made something similar to the last picture. They work I hang my pack from one and bow from the other. My strap is close to the top instead of centered. The problem is they don't contact the tree enough even with a ratchet strap they move. If I'm not careful putting my pack straight on they can kick the bottom sideways and up trying to dump the pack off. So I'm going to build new ones with a small v in the back to hook into the bark and center the strap.

Back