• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A bit about myself

CharlieRayT

I thought I would write up a little bit of who I am and where I come from. I grew up on a tobacco farm in Putnam County WV. I've always been a hunter. Many evenings after school I'd grab my old 16 gauge and head for the squirrel woods. Football and dirt bikes were a big part of my teenage years. I took up bow hunting at that time also. I could not get enough of it. I loved being in the woods. I've taken many deer with gun and bow. All were trophies to me. I started out with a Baker tree stand and several home made ones. I met some folks at a re enactment and I was all in on that for many years. 18th century was where I found my niche. Along the way I developed many new skills and I had the privilege of learning from a master gun maker on the art of building flintlock rifles. My most recent journey has led me into the world of bushcrafting. There are many skills related to the backwoodsman along with modern survival skills to be learned in that hobby. All along though my first love is hunting. I've always been one to look outside the box in order to keep things interesting. I'm also learning to knap flint and my good friend Officer Dana Rowsey of the Charleston Police Dept and myself have organized an event called a knap in where folks travel from all over to share and showcase their skills in flint knapping. We had our first event last April and it was a great success. I will post the date for this years event as soon as plans are finalized so that anyone who wants to attend can. It's free to the public. All in all I've had a great life thus far. God is always first. I have a wonderful wife of 32 years and two wonderful daughters and two awesome grandsons. I've worked several jobs but I was fortunate enough to go to work for a company called TShirt International in 1985. I know the screen printing trade inside and out and am fortunate that work is only five minutes from home. I'll add a few pics of my adventures so far. IMG_2691.JPGIMG_2879.JPGIMG_2881.JPGIMG_2883.JPGIMG_2884.JPGIMG_2886.JPGIMG_3310.JPGIMG_0389.JPGIMG_0613.JPGIMG_1276.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super interesting. And awesome work!
It's real neat to see everyone's "niche" skill in whatever craft it may be.
Media, Fabrication, etc. Such a diverse community.
Thank you for sharing @CharlieRayT

Almost too pretty to use

Thank you. The pipe hawk was a presentation piece I made for my boss when he retired. I keep telling him we need to smoke it someday with a ceremonial mix of kinnikinnick. The fowling piece and the pistol see much use. I took a nice 6 point buck at 65 yards with a round ball and wasps nest load with the fowler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back