Activated Carbon Powder

Discussion in 'Scent Control' started by cozy23, Jul 25, 2017.

1. cozy23

cozy23 Member

What's your opinion on buying the aquarium grade activated Carbon to dust your clothes with?

I'm thinking possibly pouring some in my boots.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2. d_rek

d_rek Active Member

I have heard of hunters doing this - though it's supposed to be extremely messy.

I think you're good but you may want to check what the activated carbon was made from (coconut shells, etc.).

This guy has a really extreme scent control routine and uses carbon powder to treat clothes:

https://extremedeerhabitat.com/stuff-i-use/

3. drew13

drew13 Member

I started using activated coconut charcoal powder last season and, honestly, it is pretty remarkable how well it eliminates odors. For instance, I got a pretty nice, used camo jacket from a guy at work but it smelled like flowery laundry detergent. I washed it in scent-free soap multiple times, hung it outside for two weeks, put it in a bin and ozonated it with my ozone generator and even tried putting it in a bin with dirt and leaves for over a week - nothing got the detergent smell out. Finally I put it in a bin with activated charcoal powder and shook it up. The smell was gone immediately. I couldn't believe it.

I agree that it is messy, but it's worth it in my opinion.

I have read that the aquarium carbon can be used more cheaply but that you have to pulverize it first with a mortar and pestle or blender or something. I just bought the powder that was already ready to go. This is the stuff I got - there could be better deals out there, but I can tell you that this stuff worked for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Ch...ons&keywords=coconut+activated+charcoal&psc=1

Hope that helps,
    Drew

#3 drew13, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  4. Ontariofarmer

Ontariofarmer Active Member

Sounds like a great way to get scent lok with existing clothing

5. cozy23

cozy23 Member

I think using it in and on my boots will be ideal. I'll order some and try it out on my shoes. If it can get the odor of them then I'm sold!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6. LooyvilleLarry

LooyvilleLarry Active Member

7. Ontariofarmer

8. sojourner

sojourner Member

Back when I subscribed to scent control, I bought the aquarium activated carbon. Put a handful in an old sock, then tied off the sock in an overhand knot so the carbon would not escape into the dryer. I used that in the dryer when drying hunting clothes (putting hunting clothes inside out before putting in dryer). And resupply sock with the carbon every so often. Pretty cheap option and renewable.

Ontariofarmer likes this.
  9. Ontariofarmer

Interesting idea. Do you think it works Do you use powder or granules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. sojourner

sojourner Member

Granules.

Do I think it works? Not for me, I am overweight and sweat a lot. There is no way I can get to hunting height without some sweat. And the sweat from my head is not covered by activated charcoal.

I think it is a relatively inexpensive way to test out activated charcoal/carbon.

That said, this topic is not without controversy. I guess one should keep an open mind and experiment.