• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Active scrape in April??

KYHunter

I was shed hunting today and happened upon what looked like an active scrape. It had fresh droppings, scrape marks, and the licking branch was still damp. Anybody ever seen a scrape still open in the spring?

I tried uploading a picture but the file was too big.

I was shed hunting today and happened upon what looked like an active scrape. It had fresh droppings, scrape marks, and the licking branch was still damp. Anybody ever seen a scrape still open in the spring?

I tried uploading a picture but the file was too big.
Yes i have

I see them year round behind my house, never really noticed them till I saw a buck without antlers tearing it up in late March several years ago. Made me much more aware of their activities on my property

I haven't seen it for myself but I've read about others finding "community" scrapes that deer use year round, I'm curious myself what causes deer to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It lets other deer know who is around. Think of it like cat scratching post. where many cats use it or a tree ( fire hydrant) all the dogs use. It is just a form of communication.

I've smelled doe estrous checking traps in mid February but not seen any rut sign in April. That's a little late seems rare.

After posting here I did a little Google “research” and it sounds like it does happen frequently. Pretty cool. Learn something new every day.

Down here I've watched a buck chase a doe in March turkey season. I've also seen scrapes pop up as early as September. Southern deer do not time their rut as precisely as northern deer. Wish they would.

I just took this pic today. April 12th and still getting hit fairly hard. And as far as I can tell, my bucks have all shed.
6b1f32749cf0ffcee5313cec0b60dde0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes. I did a video a couple years back showing a year round active scrape/licking branch. It is silly to think deer only congregate/communicate during the rut. And since their sniffing device is their number one sense it is even sillier to think they only take advantage of that sense during the rut.

I just took this pic today. April 12th and still getting hit fairly hard. And as far as I can tell, my bucks have all shed.
6b1f32749cf0ffcee5313cec0b60dde0.jpg

And btw, the overhanging branch is hawthorn. That's the last tree species that I would want to rub my forehead and pre-orbitals into. Amazing that they don't poke their eyes out.

And btw, the overhanging branch is hawthorn. That's the last tree species that I would want to rub my forehead and pre-orbitals into. Amazing that they don't poke their eyes out.

Around here they frequently pick mesquite and Locust trees - go figure. Must be the aroma in thorn trees???

I have found fresh scrapes just about every month of the year. Deer seem to use them to mark territory and keep tabs on other deer in the area. I have seen bucks and does do this but most times these scrapes are from the dominant bucks in the area.

I he never seen one here in Texas, but last weekend when me and DaveT were in Wisconsin with Dan Infalt, there were lots of active scrapes.

Around where I hunt, the licking branch will continue to be used, but I rarely find a scrape underneath it.

Around where I hunt, the licking branch will continue to be used, but I rarely find a scrape underneath it.

That's about 95% my experience. The licking branch of primary scrapes is a year round deal, but I seldom see the ground worked after around now...branch yes, ground not so much.

And those one-timer scrapes usually won't have active licking branches. If you find a branch that's getting hit into spring time, that would be a good spot to keep an eye on next fall.

I hear that there's licking branches that don't have ground activity and that those types of branches are also year-round deals. I can't say I've ever found a heavily used licking branch that didn't have ground activity, but supposedly, they aren't uncommon. I don't know.

The scrape in my pic in post #10 is kind of unusual for around here. Seeing tracks in scrapes all year isn't unusual because deer stand there while they check or work the branch, but actual ground pawing isn't very common (around here) after March or so. It's clear in my pic that the ground was worked very recently.

I assume the age structure of the buck herd (and fawn numbers) and the buck:doe ratio will have something to do with the timing of how scrapes are used. Fawns, in a healthy herd can come into heat in late winter. I'll bet as long as there's at least some age class of females coming into estrus, then bucks will exhibit the kinds of scrape activity (ground pawing, rub urination) that we see in October thru December.

I have permission on a 80 acre farm (I primarily turkey and predator hunt) that is mostly field with a couple of thickets, a pond and some fence lines. Next to the pond is a primary year round scrape. It is at a destination and a convergence of trails that sees heavy nite time deer travel. Most of the deer stop and at least smell the ground or licking branch, if not use it. The activity really ramps up late October and into November, but it is used year round and the ground is always bare under the licking branch. The only time I get pics of the big bucks is in the middle of the night due to the areas openness. The buck bedding is 1/2 mile to the east and also 1 mile to the south. They are hitting this scrape on the way to and from food and water on there nightly circuit.

I agree with Allegheny Tom. The ground usually isn’t pawed much but is bare from the heavy traffic. The branches however are used Year round.

Back