• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Adding lineman's loops to Edelrid Huascaran Climbing Harness

BCHunter

Vendor Rep
I added lineman's loops by double girth hitching two 22kn Nylon/Dyneema Slings to the harness. I then zip tied them in place. It ends up weighing 9oz. I'll be making a video, but I thought I'd open this up for discussion.

EDELRID - Huascaran Climbing Harness, Night/Oasis, Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AFPO578/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_hzKCAb8RY0JNZ

Petzl - ST'ANNEAU, Dyneema Sling, 24 cm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IAHCME?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
91967d06b0b85182bae1a0fa1f5bc9d2.jpg
65c97db8f47abd7875b20aa5675c83f7.jpg
701c7de8e2b4c02dc009a93b659f2b78.jpg
1ccac840b8f1649705a9920c99f94a44.jpg
502c37ac712585df198cfd6909ecd72a.jpg
b944ff5a47fe8e658f2bedf75aae923f.jpg
a7c5bff159ed98240eb7d9a7f89ce4aa.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I added lineman's loops by double girth hitching two 22kn Nylon/Dyneema Slings to the harness. I then zip tied them in place. It ends up weighing 9oz. I'll be making a video, but I thought I'd open this up for discussion.

EDELRID - Huascaran Climbing Harness, Night/Oasis, Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AFPO578/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_hzKCAb8RY0JNZ

Petzl - ST'ANNEAU, Dyneema Sling, 24 cm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IAHCME?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
91967d06b0b85182bae1a0fa1f5bc9d2.jpg
65c97db8f47abd7875b20aa5675c83f7.jpg
701c7de8e2b4c02dc009a93b659f2b78.jpg
1ccac840b8f1649705a9920c99f94a44.jpg
502c37ac712585df198cfd6909ecd72a.jpg
b944ff5a47fe8e658f2bedf75aae923f.jpg
a7c5bff159ed98240eb7d9a7f89ce4aa.jpg

I like simple easy ideas. Great

Wow, that harness is half the weight of my BD Vario Speed. Smart idea on the loops, better then having 1" webbing sewn on like I did lol.

Do you think those will stay in place when you put full weight on them? Or do you think they might slide forward? I’m guessing that’s why you zip tied them? I wonder if they wouldn’t cinch down tight enough without the zip ties?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you think those will stay in place when you put full weight on them? Or do you think they might slide forward? I’m guessing that’s why you zip tied them? I wonder if they wouldn’t cinch down tight enough without the zip ties?

The zip ties are just so the girth hitch doesn't come loose. The leg straps should stop them from sliding forward. If I fall hard enough for them to slide even farther forward, that's probably the last of my worries.

The zip ties are just so the girth hitch doesn't come loose. The leg straps should stop them from sliding forward. If I fall hard enough for them to slide even farther forward, that's probably the last of my worries.

Oh okay I see that. So the leg straps are sewn in place. Yeah I’m not really concerned about the fall pulling them, I just wondered about hanging from it but I see now that they are pretty well fixed there.

Where did you get the loops from?

If I fall hard enough for them to slide even farther forward, that's probably the last of my worries.]
Exactly. I'm sure you are not planning on falling with this, it is just for lightweight positioning. But just for others to be aware: 2 girth hitches is reducing the breaking strength of the sling from 22kN to approximately 12kN. On top of that, while dyneema slings are incredibly strong, they perform very poor under dynamic forces. Point being I would not want to take a good fall on this set up.

Exactly. I'm sure you are not planning on falling with this, it is just for lightweight positioning. But just for others to be aware: 2 girth hitches is reducing the breaking strength of the sling from 22kN to approximately 12kN. On top of that, while dyneema slings are incredibly strong, they perform very poor under dynamic forces. Point being I would not want to take a good fall on this set up.

Okay I’m simply asking this out of ignorance. What is a “Dyneema” sling? Type, brand, style, purpose? What is a better choice in a ‘minimalist’ sling?

Suppose you added two of the added two of the girth hitches on each side or stronger ones?

You could wrap it like a prussic and then zip tie it, might make less of a bend. As far as the concerns about dynamic forces, these are dyneema/nylon blend slings, so they are the best of both worlds.

Great idea, super simple, no sewing, great job!

@redsquirrel can you explain why you wouldn't want to take a good fall in this? Even if it's only 12kn after the girth hitches that's about 2700lbs, which seems sufficient to me, what am I missing here?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What is a “Dyneema” sling? Type, brand, style, purpose? What is a better choice in a ‘minimalist’ sling?
Great idea, super simple, no sewing, great job!

@redsquirrel can you explain why you wouldn't want to take a good fall in this? Even if it's only 12kn after the girth hitches that's about 2700lbs, which seems sufficient to me, what am I missing here?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Dyneema is the name of the fiber they are made from. Spectra is another that is similar. These are super strong lightweight materials. Their intended uses are for holding static forces. Under relatively low dynamic forces they can break.
Here is a quick example, there is lots more reading if you google it: http://dmmclimbing.com/Knowledge/September-2013/Slings-at-Anchors

As @BCHunter is using it for positioning it is strong enough and fine. I wanted to make sure everyone knows the limitations of the setup and that if you were to take a real fall on it that it may or may not hold up.

Here is an example of something I would and would not be comfortable using dyneema for.
A tether to hang off of- Yes.
A treestand lifeline- No.

Dyneema is the name of the fiber they are made from. Spectra is another that is similar. These are super strong lightweight materials. Their intended uses are for holding static forces. Under relatively low dynamic forces they can break.
Here is a quick example, there is lots more reading if you google it: http://dmmclimbing.com/Knowledge/September-2013/Slings-at-Anchors

As @BCHunter is using it for positioning it is strong enough and fine. I wanted to make sure everyone knows the limitations of the setup and that if you were to take a real fall on it that it may or may not hold up.

Here is an example of something I would and would not be comfortable using dyneema for.

From Petzl-
Material(s): nylon and Dyneema® webbing, polyester stitching

If it made anyone nervous, they could always do the same thing with an all nylon sling.

Okay so then we could do the same thing with an amsteel loop?

Okay so then we could do the same thing with an amsteel loop?

Yup a continuous loop like DaveT mentioned would do the job for lightweight positioning just as well. It would; however, fare worse in a larger fall because it doesn't have the nylon in it.

Yup a continuous loop like DaveT mentioned would do the job for lightweight positioning just as well. It would; however, fare worse in a larger fall because it doesn't have the nylon in it.

Shoot! Then what would be the safest strap to use to do this with? There has to be something?

Back