• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Advantages of Platform over Steps?

Stykbow1

Vendor Rep
All,

I was wondering what those that built and use platforms feel are the advantages over using steps? I have always used screw in tree steps for most of my stand setups even though I do have the Ameristeps on a ratchet strap and the Marine Exhaust Tubing.

I was wondering what those who use platforms do when you have a maneuver around the tree to get a shot? I have seen many excellent and well-made platforms mods on the site but have always done preset stand locations and never really felt the need for a platform.

Lately, I have been asked by many new or perspective saddle users about platforms and wanted to get the opinions of those that use them and why they use them. Just like anything else in hunting just because something works for me doesn't mean it is the best fit for someone else.

Anyway, if you guys who use platforms could give me some insight and knowledge on platforms and how to use them I would greatly appreciate it. So I could pass that along to those who might be interested in using a platform when hunting instead of my go-to screw in steps.

Thanks,

Roger

For myself , the platform is more comfortable on my feet, for very long hangs. I do use steps around the sides of the tree , though, for moving around. Always carry 3 cranford screw ins for this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks, Quadro I can understand the platform being easier on the feet. So you do need steps on the side if you are going to move around the tree?

Roger,

On smaller trees, 8-10" diameter, I can shoot all the around the tree without extra steps. Larger trees I need an extra step on each side.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

What g2.said is correct. The smaller diameter trees are easily manuvered with just the platform. Most of the time , i will choose smaller trees, if available, because i just find it simpler to set them up.

So you guys that use a platform use it with additional steps? In not, briefly explain how you shoot 360. Or do you???

If the tree is fairly straight, and 8" or so diameter, i can shoot 360, just off the platform, but with much lean, its eadier to put in the extra steps. Im so right handed, that its like sheer punishment to shoot off my right side, unless in smaller trees.

For me the platform makes the shot directly behind me much easier. I can also stand with full weight on it and turn to shoot. Also I agree with smaller trees, there's no need for screw in steps

Agree with all the above. If your platform is cam locked hard, you can also toe hook the platform and swing hard around the tree. Also, on my weaker side, I'll often just stand up, rotate my feet, and shoot to my weak side. Biggest benefit of the platform outside comfort is the limited movement shooting to the weak side.

I still run ameristeps on the redwood stems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't use extra steps with a platform. If I need to shoot to my draw hand side I reach up with my right hand, grab a hold of my tether and pull myself to a standing position facing the tree. I then pivot my right shoulder under my tether and rotate my feet until I'm facing away from the tree. Now my tether is passing over my right shoulder and then l lean forward away from the tree against the tether. With the bridge running up across my chest and the tether passing behind my ear it creates a stable shooting stance. I can do all this while holding my bow in my left hand so I don't have to reach back for my bow which I hang on the tree to the left of the tether.

For me it depends on which saddle I'm using. In my GW, a ring of ameristeps is plenty. I sit most of the time and really only need the steps to take the weight off of my feet and for standing to shoot. In my evo or kestrel, I take a platform. Since I am leaning the whole time instead of sitting, the platform is much easier on my feet. Even with the platform, I still like to put 2-3 steps on my strong side to be able to circle the tree if needed. When hunting with my handgun, I skip the steps all together and just use the platform

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Guidos web and some spurs I don't use a platform at all. Just hang out on the whale tail and spur around as necessary

Nice!!! I have seen some post here about people hunting with their spurs on but no platform. This clears it up. You are only on your spurs when you have to be.

Nice!!! I have seen some post here about people hunting with their spurs on but no platform. This clears it up. You are only on your spurs when you have to be.

In the Kestrel, I'd only want to be on them for a few hours tops.

Back