• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aider idea for wild edge

Peterk1234

Hi guys. I have been following the wild edge aider ideas with enthusiasm. The kick out issue seems pretty legit to me, so I have been racking my brain for a solution. I know this would create some bulk because I would have to do it to each step, but what about tying the tag end of a rope (aider) to both sides of the step? I think it would work well. The issue would be fitting it all in the carry bag.

Loop aider.jpg

I did this with webbing. It worked okay but, I eventually found myself going back to the WE aider. The main reason was it was a pain taking the steps out of the bag, the aiders kept getting tangled.

I am still trying to figure out if I want to go the Step or Muddy Pro route. Cost is about the same. Ease of setup goes to Muddy Pro. Mobility/ease of carry goes to the Steps. I think with a trusted aider, the ease of setup could be close to a draw. I am really torn. I had my mind made up to go with the Steps, but I keep watching Boudreaux's set up video and then I start to have doubts. Uggh.

Have you looked at the red squirrel climbing aider thread?

I did this with webbing. It worked okay but, I eventually found myself going back to the WE aider. The main reason was it was a pain taking the steps out of the bag, the aiders kept getting tangled.

To elaborate on my post above. I really liked certain things about an aider on each step. It was more stable, the aider was always in the same place, so it was easy to get your foot in it on the way down. The only thing I didn' like about it was getting them in and out of the bag. Solve that problem and it would work well.

Yes. I have read it numerous times. I like it a lot. But do you not have an issue of a long tether fastened to your aider, which would be more prone to a large swing if you have a misstep?

No more than any aider. Hooking up high actually seems to help stabilize it.

Yes. I have read it numerous times. I like it a lot. But do you not have an issue of a long tether fastened to your aider, which would be more prone to a large swing if you have a misstep?
Aiders tend to swing out if you are not upright with your linemans belt loose. Your foot has to be fully inserted and tight to the tree. Then kick outs will be minimized. If you remain up right and not angled away from the tree. Foot pressure should be down and against the tree.
If you kick out and are close to the tree your body will hit the tree preventing something unpleasant.
Keep your hands on the tree or stick or in this case your WE step above too.
That helps. IMO.
I had several kickouts while experimenting with aiders last year but this fall I think I had none. Being careful, slow and having good form I think helps. I even tried an icy tree last week to 14 feet. No kick outs but still a bit precarious.

Last edited:
I’ve only used the steps 4 times so far. One to ‘stretch’ the splices. Two to climb the tree outback. Three and four were both hunts. Also first time even in a saddle guidos web to be exact. Lots of things to learn and practice on the off season. What I did notice with the stepps if you get it right and just barely lose enough to cam it over there’s nothing you can do to make that step slip. I used the we aider as a way to bounce test every step I put on, granted only 145 soaking wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks red, i read your post before but now that i read it a little closer i see your point. Any idea on how much that set up cost you? That was part of my justification of getting the other aider.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I had rope and webbing laying around so whatever the price of an ascender is. The ropeman1 is around $35 bucks. If you want a wild edge one I have one I will sell you for $15 to your door.

I am not understanding why everyone thinks the muddy stick with cam cleat is so much more simple then regular sticks with a versa button and rope mod? I mean with the cam cleat you obviously just pull the rope through the cam cleat, then throw in a couple half hitches. With a rope and versa button you just pull the rope through behind the versa button and rope, and then throw in a couple half hitches.... or for me I pull the rope through, make a couple wraps around the versa and then throw in a half hitch. I can imagine it taking me more then 5-10 seconds per stick. And IMO you still need to tuck up the hanging rope on windy days. the only real difference I see is pulling the rope through a cam cleat or pulling the rope through behind a rope on the versa button. I tried a cam cleat on my camera stick and while it worked I didn't see the real advantage of it. What am I missing?

Cain and Boyne Bowhunter really opened up the Wild Edge Step world for me. I can literally tie and untie the steps in a matter of seconds. More importantly, I can do it over my head, which previously was just a bitch. I have even tested it in the dark; no problem. So now I am starting to work on the aider. I was set to go with the RS aider. However, I started to play around with a hook and line, much like the Wild Edge aider. Certainly quicker, less cordage to deal with and downright simple. My version pictured below is over simplified and not considered safe above three feet, but it is a work in progress. Hooking to the V of the step is awesome. I am not threading through the lower step, and I have found the levering the rope against the step I am trying to get onto actually adds stability.

So I am back to the drawing board. I would love a simple fixed version but I think the ability to adjust length is required. RS aider was by far in the lead, but not having to deal with the rope on the tree is a biggie. I do have a problem going from Step to platform but I think I can solve it with the tether. I should have the tether in place when going to platform, and I have a prusik and Ropeman on the tether. So, just take the aider and hook it to either one. I was thinking of making a whoopie sling from 1/8 inch amsteel and adding a small webbing loop as the aider. And, using a real hook with a safety latch :)

20180206_164823.jpg

20180206_164828.jpg

Cain and Boyne Bowhunter really opened up the Wild Edge Step world for me. I can literally tie and untie the steps in a matter of seconds. More importantly, I can do it over my head, which previously was just a bitch. I have even tested it in the dark; no problem. So now I am starting to work on the aider. I was set to go with the RS aider. However, I started to play around with a hook and line, much like the Wild Edge aider. Certainly quicker, less cordage to deal with and downright simple. My version pictured below is over simplified and not considered safe above three feet, but it is a work in progress. Hooking to the V of the step is awesome. I am not threading through the lower step, and I have found the levering the rope against the step I am trying to get onto actually adds stability.

So I am back to the drawing board. I would love a simple fixed version but I think the ability to adjust length is required. RS aider was by far in the lead, but not having to deal with the rope on the tree is a biggie. I do have a problem going from Step to platform but I think I can solve it with the tether. I should have the tether in place when going to platform, and I have a prusik and Ropeman on the tether. So, just take the aider and hook it to either one. I was thinking of making a whoopie sling from 1/8 inch amsteel and adding a small webbing loop as the aider. And, using a real hook with a safety latch :)

View attachment 3882

View attachment 3883
There is no reason you can't adapt the adjustable part of my aider into one that hooks on to the stepp. Its basically the same thing I am doing using my aider on sticks now, I just loop a loop over the top of the stick instead of girth hitching to the tree.

Back